PDA

View Full Version : protecting an excel sheet

keyboard flier
18th Jan 2010, 12:12
Hi,

I am wanting to protect an excel file with a password, then email that file to a third party and when they receive it they need the password to open. However every attempt I have tried so far hasn't worked because the recipient has been able to open the file without it asking for a password.
How the heck do I do it??

Thanks

Torque2
18th Jan 2010, 12:55
Have you looked at the excel Help section which gives the folowing: :ok:

Set a password in an Excel spreadsheet
To encrypt your workbook and set a password to open it:

Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.

In the Password box, type a password, and then click OK.
You can type up to 255 characters. By default, this feature uses AES 128-bit advanced encryption. Encryption is a standard method used to help make your file more secure.

In the Reenter password box, type the password again, and then click OK.
To save the password, save the file.

A A Gruntpuddock
6th Feb 2010, 08:10
I'm not certain but I think protecting a sheet only means that you need a password to change the sheet, not to open or view it.

I hide sheets I don't want others to access and they cannot 'unhide' it without a password.

Torque2
7th Feb 2010, 18:47
Excerpt from excel help:

You can encrypt Microsoft Office files to help prevent unauthorized people from opening a workbook, document, or presentation. Watch the demo to see how easy it is to set a password to help you control who can open or modify the Office files you create.

MarcJF
7th Feb 2010, 19:49
If the data really needs to be secure find another way to send it. A quick Google search will give you counless programs that will unlock a protected Excel document in seconds.

Saab Dastard
7th Feb 2010, 20:35
Differentiate between Protection and Encryption of a Workbook. Encryption using AES-128 is bloody strong, while protection is pretty weak - MarcJF is quite right about that.

There's a useful article on the MS website here (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011403111033.aspx), relating to Office 2003.

Bear mind that any encryption is only as strong as the weakest link - usually weak passwords and poor key management (e.g. emailing the password in plain text).

SD