View Full Version : Police caution affect job prospects?

tcas1901
17th Jan 2010, 11:57
Hi guys,

I have a important question that's really been bugging me. If one has a police caution for something silly like kerb crawling once. Silly thing I know! :) Would this be a big barrier for getting my first job?

Much advice appreciated guys

thanks

Halfbaked_Boy
17th Jan 2010, 12:04
No, it won't prevent you from obtaining an airside pass.

I believe I'm correct in saying that only a conviction comes to light through a Disclosure Scotland BD. Cautions, warnings etc, no.

I've been cautioned many times ( mostly driving related and as a formality), and I hold a red airside pass, so I shouldn't worry yourself.

But as for kerb crawling... you naughty boy! (or girl!)

:}

flyvirgin
17th Jan 2010, 13:33
Hi Guys,
I’m just curious, how do I go about viewing my criminal record, I heard that the met police do it for you for a small fee, has anyone got the link.
Cheers,
Flyvirgin

tcas1901
17th Jan 2010, 14:38
Halfbaked, thanks for the reply. So to confirm the only time this topic will come up is on the crb check? Do pilot application forms state as a question if one had any previous cautions and to state them?

Any help appreciates thanks

ElitePilot
21st Jan 2010, 00:59
No just the usual "have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence" I believe.

Groundloop
21st Jan 2010, 09:30
This is what it says on the Police National Legal Database-

"A caution is a formal warning that is given to an adult who has admitted the offence. If the person refuses the caution then they will normally be prosecuted through the normal channels for the offence.

Although it is not technically classed as a conviction it can be taken into consideration by the Courts if the person is convicted of a further offence.

Cautions are not covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 so will never become spent. Depending on the type of offence they are 'stepped down' after a set period of time (5 or 10 years).

This basically means that they will only be visible to police staff and not other agencies who do checks. The exception to this is if a person is the subject of an Enhanced
Disclosure and then if relevant it will be disclosed.

Even after five/ten years the caution can still be disclosed if you apply for certain types of jobs, i.e. police, teacher, or jobs working with children and vulnerable adults. It will be disclosed if it is relevant to the job you are applying for."

BusinessMan
22nd Jan 2010, 18:53
flyVirgin - you go through your local Police Authority, go in and have a word with them at the local police station :). This link has a few details:

Metropolitan Police Service - Request Forms (http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm)

Cheers, BM