PDA

View Full Version : DGCA reprieve on deadline to phase-out expat pilots

flyjet787
17th Jan 2010, 10:20
Mumbai, Jan 17 (PTI) Domestic air-operators seem to have earned a reprieve with the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) understood to have extended the deadline for phasing out expat pilots by one year.

The aviation industry regulator had earlier fixed July 31, 2010, as the deadline for domestic airlines to phase out their foreign pilots.

"The DGCA has given us more time to phase out expat pilots. It has extended the deadline by one year," a top industry official told PTI here.

At present, there are over 600 expat pilots employed by five major Indian scheduled operators -- Air India, Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, IndiGo and SpiceJet.

The extension was necessitated for two reasons -- an acute shortage of trained Indian commanders as well as capacity addition by the air-carriers following a surge in demand in recent months, the official said.

silent_scream
17th Jan 2010, 13:08
Was bound to happen when the Authorities want to replace 20,000 Hour Examiners overnight with 2000 Hour Co-Pilots who haven't flown anything other than the A320.

It is going to take a lot more than a Year to make that Happen.

Silent.

IndAir967
18th Jan 2010, 02:31
It is going to take a lot more than a Year to make that Happen

I concur

IndAir967:ok:

Left Wing
18th Jan 2010, 02:42
not to worry... DGCA will again extend it.... they make a lot of extra cash from the airlines getting the expats security cleared and issue the FATA... DGCA is in no hurry to see this cash flow go away...

agree cant be done in a year...

Dragon 83
18th Jan 2010, 04:03
OK I think that's good news for expats here that wish to stay however it appears there is a limit of 4 years one can stay with a particular Indian airline before timing out.

Heard some have migrated to other Indian carriers to continue working in India beyond 4 yrs. I don't know if this is an unwritten rule or an old statue that stays in force. It doesn't make much sense as the expat remains working in India and the airline losing the pilot just recruits another.

Hopefully this rule will also be modified.

Wannabe Flyer
18th Jan 2010, 05:15
not to worry... DGCA will again extend it.... they make a lot of extra cash from the airlines getting the expats security cleared and issue the FATA... DGCA is in no hurry to see this cash flow go away...+

Why is always about money? Maybe not all at the DGCA are "Dumbkophfs"

Maybe ..... it is because....

Was bound to happen when the Authorities want to replace 20,000 Hour Examiners overnight with 2000 Hour Co-Pilots who haven't flown anything other than the A320.

Mike_Kilo_Sierra
18th Jan 2010, 05:23
I'll stick my neck out and say this is probably good for Indian aviation in the long run. (even if it means DGCA milking the cow for some more time). It may not free up jobs as soon as we thought for the entry level CPL. But a good move as far as safety goes. Experience counts for a lot. Hours cannot be replaced with anything.

Maybe just maybe fresh CPLs will start considering smaller outfits even if out of desperation and build some credible hours before landing up in the right hand seat of a jet.

MKS

Fubaliera
18th Jan 2010, 10:33
The problem is the local indians with 2000hrs of Jet time are jumping ship to middle east.Lets not forget thier experiened local captains. The reason for this extension is not expansion but attrition of the locals

jimmygill
18th Jan 2010, 11:06
The problem is the local indians with 2000hrs of Jet time are jumping ship to middle east.Lets not forget thier experiened local captains. The reason for this extension is not expansion but attrition of the locals

This attrition, of course is directly attributable to salary differentials.

jimmygill
18th Jan 2010, 11:45
I'll stick my neck out and say this is probably good for Indian aviation in the long run. (even if it means DGCA milking the cow for some more time). It may not free up jobs as soon as we thought for the entry level CPL. But a good move as far as safety goes. Experience counts for a lot. Hours cannot be replaced with anything.

1. FAA requires Just under 200 hrs for CPL if done in a Part 141 Flight School. As opposed to the 250 hrs requirement for pilots not attending part 141 Schools. A clear example of good training replacing a few hours. There is something which can replace hours at least.

2. We all may agree that benefits of experience (hours) are should be represented by a monotonously increasing curve. Shouldn't this curve go near flat at a certain number of hours.

3. It is hard to prove that this move is going to do any good or bad. This move though is an indication of lack of foresight on part of DGCA, which I hope all will agree that will only do bad for Indian Civil Aviation.

4. @WannabeFlyer, You are right not all is about money. There are things other than money. In this particular case DGCA doesn't make all the money (as indicated by Left Wing), and considering the nature of DGCA, I doubt if they care about any money earning or saving. But still
When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. (As long as you are not in Africa. :) )

mahi
19th Jan 2010, 13:24
Hi Guy's

Is this any good for a indian nationals with a foreign instructor rating (CFI,CFII) having job offer from a flight schools??

Thanks
Regards
Mahi