PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of Yemen

rmac
16th Jan 2010, 08:51
Does anyone know the timetable for our forthcoming invasion of Yemen ?

After all if the principles and arguments behind our pouring blood and money in to the toilet bowl of Afghanistan hold true, surely Yemen has to be next on the list....

And then Somalia (again) and the Southern Philippines and wherever else AQ will set up their tents once we have focused our efforts on the last country they operated from....:ugh:

Runaway Gun
16th Jan 2010, 09:42
Should be announced immediately after the next defence budget cut...

Finnpog
16th Jan 2010, 10:42
But you can take comfort from the fact that our national commitment has already been pledged to the leader of some other foreign power - and it will be almost presented to Parliament at some point for rubber stamping.:eek:

Saintsman
16th Jan 2010, 10:48
Weren't we in Yemen sometime before?

How did that work out?

Buster Hyman
16th Jan 2010, 10:51
But whose principles & arguments are you referring to? And, are they in power now?

Finnpog
16th Jan 2010, 10:52
According to this Thunderer article from last week http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6981556.ece some of the 'victors' want the Empire back

rmac
16th Jan 2010, 15:00
Buster..

I think you will find that the decision makers on our side are still in power....for now at least.

Do you think "call me dave" will be any different ? :E

Lyneham Lad
16th Jan 2010, 15:10
Well, according to an article in today's DT, the next Defence Policy will be less interventionalist. David Cameron to use British troops at home, not abroad (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6996790/David-Cameron-to-use-British-troops-at-home-not-abroad.html)

Echo 5
16th Jan 2010, 15:48
surely Yemen has to be next on the list....

We've already been there and got pulled out by a previous Labour government who were as bad if not worse than this one. Got to say that Yer Darlin 'Arold had a bit more charisma than GB.

vecvechookattack
16th Jan 2010, 16:05
A Conservative government would be more wary of sending British troops abroad than Labour, make more use of the Armed Forces for security and emergency response work at home, David Cameron has said.

The man is a complete buffoon. What on earth is he thinking of?

Biggus
16th Jan 2010, 16:49
....."What on earth is he thinking of? ".....

Scrapping most of the RN?

Two-Tone-Blue
16th Jan 2010, 17:45
Has anyone noticed that the UK's ability to project "Global Power" is a bit diminished these days?

As part of a PROPERLY established coalition [does anyone remember that NATO thing?] the UK can play a useful part ... within it's capabilities. Frankly, UK Mil plc has been utterly burned out by the current Govt's involvements, and a period of "R&R" and intellectual focus on "WTF" wouldn't go amiss.

IMO, E&OE, of course.

Melchett01
16th Jan 2010, 17:52
Sounds like we're about to become less of an armed force and more of a militia or carabinieri. I can see the Argentinians dusting their Falklands plans off as we speak whilst the Russian and Chinese will be chuckling away at the thought that a once great country has been knobbled by its own politicians and accountants.

The current generation of politicians - of all hues - have done more damage to the Forces than the Nazis ever managed to do. At least back then we knew what we were fighting for, morale wasn't such an issue and the country was united.

RETDPI
16th Jan 2010, 18:00
Well, if I were young again, I certainly wouldn't consider exposing myself to the possibility of a chauffered drive through Wootton Bassett on behalf of this government.

Krystal n chips
16th Jan 2010, 18:04
" What on earth is he thinking of?"

Erm, possibly the rather distinct possibility of what's termed "civil unrest" and not just from the usual collection of "renta fruitloop / any cause will do" bonzo's.

In the not too distant future, policies current and future are sort of going to come home with a vengeance on all of us in the UK.....and even the most moderate are going to be less than impressed with whoever happens to be I/c UK at the time.......not something we generally do as a nation I agree and frankly I hope it doesn't happen.....but all the portents are there and in place and lets face it, excluding the :mad: bankers, just about everybody else in the UK in every sector and area of employment is in for a nasty few years in financial terms.

minigundiplomat
16th Jan 2010, 18:04
May I suggest that the spearhead BG for any future ops is the Royal Westminster Regt, formed of co-opted MP's on a reservist basis. Might focus the mind.

L J R
16th Jan 2010, 18:21
Weren't we in Yemen sometime before?

...We were in Afghanistan sometime earlier in the same Century weren't we..?
...and India and Pakistan too (I think)

Double Zero
16th Jan 2010, 18:28
A while ago I suggested that the victims of the ' Black Hawk Down ' incident ( Please DO read the book, ignore the film ) would have rather liked Harrier support from offshore, and was jumped on as calling for a ' war crime ' !

As for Yemen, seems a matter of when not if, after all a few chaps with just rifles, RPG's and some explosives can hardly hassle a power like the UK can they ?

As for the Westminster Regiment, oh how soundly is that deserved ( all parties ) - they claim for moats & duck houses & happily send young people off leaving their families in sh!!tty accomodation to say the least; at least our soldiers and airmen etc should be able to get on with their jobs without worrying how their families are in Blighty ?

How does the equivalent U.S. Family accomodation compare, is it to the same standard where civilians would / could call in social services if civvies in rented such places ?

Two-Tone-Blue
16th Jan 2010, 18:51
@ Double Zero ... from what I recall, and unless its changed drastically, a lot of US "Base Housing" isn't great ;) And a bunch of UK Mil housing trying to be sold of to the private sector wasn't deemed for for occupation either.

Infrastructure isn't "sexy money".

From the Seco and black wooden hut generation

8-15fromOdium
16th Jan 2010, 18:54
Nice thread title rmac - made me click!

I read the Cameron article in the DT and thought it had a couple of good ideas the homeland defence idea and the use of the DFID budget being the 2. However, I am a little alarmed that the review was led by an ex diplomat with no military experience. All in all looks like an excuse for CUTS!!!

Melchett01 please stand for election - I would vote for you, especially if you put MGD in charge of the press gang.

hval
16th Jan 2010, 18:55
Prior tasking requires depletion of largest Al-Qaeda assets outside of Saudi, and probably largest global risk. There are high level assets with planning capabilities, high recruitment levels, replen facilities & funding and excellent comms.

This shall require invasion of UK to regain control.

Yemen follows that.

Melchett01
16th Jan 2010, 19:00
8-15,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, I suspect that I would never get elected. My manifesto would be fairly thin and would generally be based around common sense, the notion of the first priority of govt is security of the nation (whether that be military, financial, strategic infrastructure) and knocking this god-awful 'me me me/celebrity cult/famous for being famous / equality= lowest common denominator' attitude out of the country we have let ourselves develop.

Unfortunately the famous for being famous brigade would never stand for it. Best I just go back to the desert where I belong.

ian16th
16th Jan 2010, 19:28
This appeared today on a mailing list of select former RAF people that I subscribe to:Post-Coup Proclamation.

Memo to all Citizens.

From: ******* - Temporary Acting Interim Lord Protector (Warts and all)

Subject: Popular Front for the Return of British Values.

Now that the lying, self serving, mealy mouthed politicians have been ejected it is necessary that certain rules and regulations be established in respect of the population at large and the world in general. This proclamation seeks to set out the manner by which this country will be governed in the popular absence of an elected parliament.

In order to protect the best interests of this country and it's population a number of difficult but vital decisions have been forced upon us. Primarily, we have shrugged off the many years of Colonialism and Empire and have come to accept that our place in the world, though important, is no longer of prime importance. Gone are the days when Great Britain ruled the waves, of Gunboat Diplomacy and the Raj. The world has changed and we must change with it whilst protecting our vital interests.

Consequently, the following directives have been issued and will be enacted over the coming weeks:
All British troops will be withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan within 4 weeks and will be returned to freshly refurbished barracks and married quarters. These have been illegal wars prosecuted on the basis of lies and a faulty hypothesis promulgated by the President of the United States and one Tony Blair MP (and cohorts). The money saved will more than pay for the extra benefits accrued to servicemen who will henceforth be permitted to walk through Peterborough in uniform and anywhere else for that matter.
All Embassies and Consulates in Middle East countries will be closed until their governments implement the requirements of the internationally approved Human Rights legislation. The funding of terrorist organisations, torture, public floggings, stoning, amputation of limbs and beheadings are to cease immediately. Otherwise they can keep their pigging oil.
The Armed Forces are to be returned to the levels prevalent during the 1960s at the height of the Cold War. This can be achieved by the reintroduction of National Service and will have the added benefit of teaching the youth of today some bloody respect. It will also be cheaper than paying them "Job Seekers Allowance" and cleaning up the vandalism after them.
The Queen will remain as our Head of State as will her heirs and successors. The British Monarchy is the envy of the world and, though tarnished in recent times it remains as the linchpin of our great country.
Diplomatic Relations with the United States of America will cease until they dump that arse Obama and get someone in who can string more than three words together without lying, one of which isn't "Invade".
A list will be produced of all countries who have been supportive of the United Kingdom during it's recent military deployments in the Arsehole of the World, sorry - the Middle East. This will consist of Lists A and B. List A will be comprised of those countries who have been friendly and supportive and who in the future will bask in our friendship and gratitude and List B; those countries who by their stupidity, cowardice, parsimony or duplicity have stood against the United Kingdom and who can now go out into the Desert, which we have happily vacated, and Multiply.
Foreign Aid will cease forthwith to all counties on List B. It is time that the population of the United Kingdom were given decent pensions, health care, homes and security and this will fund it. We will no longer stand by whilst corrupt foreign politicians line their pockets at our expense. Our advice to them is to become friendly with the Arab Nations or China, then they will truly understand what a "Pound of Flesh" represents. And by the way, learn Arabic - you might just need it............and get a prayer mat, you might well need that too - on pain of death.
The United Kingdom will withdraw from the Treaty of Rome and from all treaties agreed by the Worms of Strasbourg and full Border Control will be re-established.
Illegal immigrants and Asylum Seekers landing in this country from France will be returned to France without delay and at minimal expense to the Public Purse. If the French don't like it they shouldn't have ratified laws defining that the "FIRST" country an Asylum Seeker/Illegal Immigrant lands in is the one to which he/she should apply for asylum. Keep them - we have enough already and anyway, keeping them in France is one of the best deterrents against Asylum Seeking and Illegal Immigration.
Illegal Immigrants already in this country are to be returned to their country of origin. There will be no more lengthy and expensive appeals and that bitch lawyer Gareth Pierce should find herself a new job perhaps advising Pig Farmers on the safe transportation of their animals to slaughterhouses.
Access to Social Housing will be strictly First Come First Served. The government will no longer tolerate the priority mass assignment of council houses to asylum seekers and immigrants. They will just have to wait until the native population's needs have been satisfied. If they dislike this approach then the address for the Dover Ferry is CT17 9BU Tel: 01304 240400, use it.
As from this moment Rupert Murdoch is a Persona Non Gratis.
All politician's salaries, benefits and pensions are hereby terminated.
All "Speed Cameras" are to be dismantled and returned to stores.
All Speeding Fines as a result of the above will be refunded and points deducted from licenses.
Paedophilia is to become a Capital Offence and those found guilty of this heinous crime will be hanged (preferably by their intimate appendages).
The crimes of Murder and Terrorism are to be punished by hanging.
Cold Calling by Double Glazing salesman is to become an offence punishable by Penal Servitude at a Government Pig Farm. This will teach them exactly what **** really is.
Tiscali will be immediately deprived of it's right to refer to itself as an ISP until it demonstrates that it's accountancy practices meet the accepted basic standards for any 3rd World Country and it is able to provide at least 2Mbps on an 8Mbps service contract.
The government has no objection to call centres being located in Bangalore, however, to be legally constituted in the United Kingdom they must be staffed by British personnel with a good command of the English language. Sadly this means that there will be no more jobs in this discipline for people from Liverpool, Middlesbrough or Glasgow.
In all Local Authorities the Social Services Departments are to be disbanded and replaced by Professional Busy-Bodies in place of the Amateur Busy-Bodies currently bolloxing everything up.
The Archbishop of Canterbury is to be appointed as a Trustee of Sunnybrook Farm, he is very well qualified for the job.
Sharia Law will not be introduced in the United Kingdom under any circumstances. Those who wish to bring about it's introduction should book a ticket on United Arab Airlines and bugger off. This is the origin and definition of Sharia Law: The religious law of Islam. As Islam makes no distinction between religion and life, Islamic law covers not only ritual but every aspect of life. The actual codification of canonic law is the result of the concurrent evolution of jurisprudence proper and the so-called science of the roots of jurisprudence (usul al-fiqh). What a load of crap!
All Mosques in the United Kingdom are to be closed until such time as Church Bells sound in the Middle East. Quid Pro Quo!
All Bingo Halls are to be closed forthwith; it's a crap game anyway.
There will be one law and one law alone in this country - British Law. Those members of our community who are unable to live by this tenet will be required to leave the country.
Mohammed Al Fayed is to be given one last opportunity to accept that Princess Diana died as the result of an accident or, back to Egypt for good. So far as his desire to acquire a British Passport is concerned - in your dreams DIP****!
The salaries for Professional Footballers are to be limited to 25% above the National Average Salary and, all Professional and Prospective Footballers will be required to take a suitability test. This will be in two parts: Part 1: Command of the English Language and Part 2: IQ. The Part 1 test will explore the candidates ability to pronounce the English words "Indubitably", "Inconsequentially", "Obfuscation" and "Antidisestablishmentarianism" and define their meanings. The Part 2 test will require an IQ level of 75 or lower to retain or acquire Profession Footballer status. It is estimated that 98% of all Professional Footballers currently playing in the various leagues will qualify by virtue of their IQ but 90% will already have failed the Part 1 test. It should be noted that these tests will not be applied to the Chelsea Football Team as it has already been established that they would all fail dismally on Part 1.
This government is supportive of all races, colours and creeds and for this reason the Race Discrimination Act will be replaced by the Personal Discrimination Act. No native of this country should be labeled a racist when complaining about discrimination by other races in the area of employment and promotion, housing or racial abuse. Quid Pro Quo!
Alcopops will be banned from sale. They are totally pansy and no self respecting bacchanalian reveler should be exposed to them.
As from this coming Boxing Day the film "Great Escape" will not be shown on television. Morcambe & Wise shows will also be similarly banned as will "You've Been Framed" along with any program with the word "Celebrity" in it's title.
With immediate effect all so-called "Reality" shows broadcast on television, such as "Big Brother" are to cease. They are mindless drivel and must be driven from our screens.
American Wrestling is to be banned from our screens forthwith; it is total crap and cerebrally polluting. We don't want the youth of our country to react like Merkin youth and actually believe that those steroid fuelled pansies are actually fighting.
Anne Robinson is to be replaced by a less nasty old cow on all future broadcasts of the Weakest Link. Bitch!
Political Correctness: Knock it off; it's American and it's a consignment of round things, sorry - a load of bollocks.
Law and Order: Natural Justice will progressively replace the ancient and easily misinterpreted laws which lead to miscarriages of justice. The right of the individual to protect his/her property will be rigorously maintained. If you catch a burglar in your home then shoot the bastard. It will save the state lots of money in holding the dregs of society in overcrowded prisons and property owners will be rewarded at a rate of £100/head for each deceased scroat. Drug addicts will be given the option of attending rehabilitation clinics or of watching that cow Anne Robinson on The Weakest Link for 22 hours a day. Drug pushers will be administered all the drugs in their possession; if it kills them tough, it saves others from being killed by their evil concoctions and removes a useless item of human excrescence from our society. Rapists will be treated as they treat others; a massive black "Marital Aid" will be repeatedly shoved up their nether regions without recourse to Vaseline; that'll stop the bastards. If they enjoy it then 240V will be strategically applied - often! Community Service will be replaced by a Whipping Pole; no more easy ways out. Further regulations will be promulgated.

Remember, Big Brother is Watching You!

Grover82
17th Jan 2010, 20:09
8-15fromodium

Whats wrong with ex-diplomats ? maybe an RN Commodore ex F4 jockey should have a go. I think one made an excellent job of re-organising the Defence Medical Services. I dont remember anybody criticising him too much when it was all over !!!:D

Seriously, you can't keep standing forces of any size back in the UK.(Where else can they go now?) There is only so much polishing of a/c, tanks and ships that can be done before the beanies notice. Therefore its cuts, as usual.:sad:

Buster Hyman
17th Jan 2010, 21:38
...the Russian and Chinese will be chuckling away at the thought that a once great country has been knobbled by its own politicians and accountants.
Do you mean the ones the Commies planted in the UK Universities all those years ago?:confused::confused:

;):E

philrigger
18th Jan 2010, 10:09
;)

Does anyone know the timetable for our forthcoming invasion of Yemen ?

I am not going back !!!! It was crap when I left in '67 and it will be much worse now.

cyclops16
18th Jan 2010, 11:38
It gets me with this Government. I came out of the RAF over 20 years ago and it is sad to see not only the RAF's decline but the decline of all our forces.We are getting to the state that we were in just before WW2.But the thing that especially gets my goat is the fact that the MOD would rather pay millions on other accommodation for families when there are nearly 8,000 houses empty on various bases.A guy in the front line shouldn't have to worry about what state his house is in back home and the problems his Mrs. is having with it.They deserve better.
Our "Government" has badly let you guys and girls down on all fronts both overseas with lack of kit and back home in the place you live.
There is a mass of unemployed builders in this country with all the skills because various companies have gone bump.Why can't they be redeployed with a little extra on their benefits to put these things right and MOD or whoever controls housing these days stump up the costs for materials.There is a definate need for them and a job for them to do. A war isn't just fought in the front line.It depends on a whole line of things including supply,logistics and right down to the front doot of the MQ and sometimes that front door is the most important thing of all.

I was looking at other comments about troops being held back by David Cameron. This great country of our's is at a tipping point due to various political decisions.At some point the crap is going to hit the fan because of certain religious groups trying to assert some kind of power upon us,debt,unemployment,the list goes on and it may well go down the road to civil unrest. Would he be prepared to use these troops on our streets under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 to quell any distubances?? Would our troops if so ordered fire on our population eventhough the order is politically legal,but not morally legal or would they stay in barracks,etc. as they have been screwed over as much if not more than us civvies.I ask this question as the Police have been issued 10,000+ Tasers and the Civil Contingencies Act takes away any rights of the individual including the right to a lawyer.Basically becoming a state under Martial Law (to be reviewed in Parliament every 28 days) with no legal recourse for the accused.I don't want this to happen in my country and the Government invoke Martial Law as the population go in uproar and have their voice against policies that have made us almost a 3rd World nation. Were Bankers are more important than everyone else,where we give away money we haven't got in some cases to places like India that can afford both a Nuclear and Space program of their own,yet our own electricity suppy is dwindling because the Government knew our Fossil fuel and some Nuclear power plants were due for replacement years ago and did nothing,now it is almost crunch time when foreign companies have to either build or run our power supplies,so in theory could cut them at any time of their choosing such as the Russian Gas supply through Europe and what they have done inthe past to Ukraine so we have to go to the Norwegians.We are not in charge of our own destiny as a country anymore which is wrong. It has been farmed out to the lowest foreign bidder who reap the profits.
It is about time sense took hold in this country and the Lion roared again,instead of being the tame puppy of other nations.

I was looking at the post by ian16th and I must admit it does have it's merits