PDA

View Full Version : Window blinds

minstermineman
15th Jan 2010, 22:14
Ok - so a long haul flight - at night - in darkness - why am I told to shut the blinds ?

Obviously not to stop sunlight waking passengers up.

Thats it !

Gerry

jetset lady
15th Jan 2010, 22:23
Because the majority of long haul night flights will land after sunrise. Being woken by a shaft of sunlight shining directly into your eye, isn't the most pleasant and gentle of awakenings. So, I suppose, yes, it is indeed to stop sunlight waking the passengers up.

There's also the fact the fact that it saves us from having to look down the cabin, in a very unforgiving light, at 200 or so people with their creased, bleary eyed, bed faces on, whilst at the same time, protecting the dignity of those very same 200 people from our gaze. Mind you, some of the hairstyles that sleeping on an aircraft can produce, are fantastic! :E

Jsl

Union Jack
15th Jan 2010, 22:45
There's also the fact the fact that it saves us from having to look down the cabin, in a very unforgiving light, at 200 or so people with their creased, bleary eyed, bed faces on, whilst at the same time, protecting the dignity of those very same 200 people from our gaze. Mind you, some of the hairstyles that sleeping on an aircraft can produce, are fantastic!

Wonderfully and succinctly expressed in respect of both passengers and cabin crew - well done JSL!:ok:

Jack

PAXboy
15th Jan 2010, 22:53
Trust me to come up with the boring answer: SLF FAQ:
http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/292584-why-window-shades-up-during-nightime-ldg.html

apaddyinuk
16th Jan 2010, 02:50
To all those of you who lament the whole window blind saga pay heed...soon you will not need to worry about this. Technology is being introduced on the 787 which will allow total control of the window blinds...TO THE CREW! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ewok69
16th Jan 2010, 05:51
already on the 777-er and 380 :ok: electric blinds.

ZFT
16th Jan 2010, 06:01
Never seen them on any B777ER I've been on. Is this an option?

...and apaddytinuk - Why should the cc decide whether or not I can look out of a window?

call100
16th Jan 2010, 08:09
Ryanair are introducing a charge a) to close your blinds b) to open your blind. Should they ever get a/c with electric blinds a slot meter will be installed on each window....:}

PAXboy
16th Jan 2010, 09:01
If I ascertained that a particular carrier had electronic blinds - with no local SLF control - then I would not use that carrier. Easy!

Avman
16th Jan 2010, 09:12
I was thinking the same on a recent all night flight SIN-FRA. No daylight involved. However, depending on where you're sitting (and the a/c type) it may also be to eliminate the effect of the strobe lights. Although I generally comply (knowing that I can open it if I feel the need), as a person who has a degree of claustrophobia in confined windowless areas, I would legally challenge any attempt to remove my right to be in control of my window blind.

TightSlot
16th Jan 2010, 09:17
Please read the FAQ (As mentioned)