PDA

View Full Version : AVG and system grinding to a halt

rans6andrew
15th Jan 2010, 20:08
Over the past few months all 3 of our XP systems have been grinding to a halt when running either IE or Firefox. My laptop got so bad that it could not download the whole of some webpages before the sending server lost the will to live. After looking through threads on here and elsewhere I decided to re-install an earlier version of AVG. I failed to find one on the internet but a quick trawl through our systems revealed that we have a download of AVG 8.0.4xx on one system. I collected it on a memory stick and then went round un-installing AVG 9.x and attempting to install 8.0.4xx. The first system, my 1.4 Gig laptop, went well and, lo and behold, it flies now. On my partners laptop, a tad older than mine, the un-install went fine but the install failed, several times, with differing numbers of warnings and errors each time. Ho hum. In the end I downloaded and installed AVG 9.x and, unbelievably, it also runs faster than it has done for a long time.

I don't understand. Is a clean install of AVG 9 better than an upgrade? Have they fixed AVG 9. I am a bit hesitant to do the final machine but I fear that I will need to if it gets any slower.

Incidentally, task manager and process explorer both showed some headroom of both cpu and commit charge but the machine was achieving nothing. AVG does not register highly in the task manager process list.

If the cpu is mostly doing system idle and memory is running at 60 to 70%, how should I investigate the cause of the bottleneck.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Rans6Andrew.

BRL
15th Jan 2010, 20:26
Hi Andrew. Try Avast, see if it happens with that.

Wefeedumall
15th Jan 2010, 20:27
Had a similar problem and have now disabled Active Surf-shield in the link scanner component of AVG. Internet downloads now fine but with a little less protection.:ok:

green granite
15th Jan 2010, 20:37
Threw AVG out a while ago because of the problems it caused, now run Avast with no trouble at all.

Avitor
15th Jan 2010, 20:40
Avast here, free home edition. :ok:

Keef
15th Jan 2010, 22:22
Same here.

It's sad, because AVG was excellent for some years. In the end, it slowed both machines down so much that I switched to Avast. Since then, all has been well.

jimtherev
15th Jan 2010, 22:25
Wot Keef said :*

DeeJayEss
15th Jan 2010, 23:32
Interesting. I've been using AVG for a few weeks on both Vista laptop and W7 desktop and haven't had any real issues yet.

I had to get rid of my licensed copy of TMIS because it got the biggest bloat I've ever seen.

Glad to know that there is potential for AVG going the same way, and I've got an idea of where to go next if it plays up! :ok:

Loose rivets
16th Jan 2010, 00:03
Running Avast! But what I can't understand is how they make their money.

Everyone I know, and their uncles, uses the freebie. Does anyone pay?

parabellum
16th Jan 2010, 01:47
I am wondering if , perhaps, it is a combination of programmes rather than just AVG 9.0 itself? I've been using the pro version for some time and the only time it slows the machine is when it is doing a scan, which can be paused and re-started or stopped but in any case is scheduled once a week when I am usually out.

(Link scan is disabled).

rans6andrew
16th Jan 2010, 17:03
does Avast allow multiple copies under the same user registration? We have several machines and want to run the same protection if possible.