PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Emergency

Shiny Side Up
15th Jan 2010, 19:44
I was in Haiti last month working on an Aviation For Humanity project to fly Project Medishare doctors from Port au Prince up into the rural central plateau to help people living in desperate poverty. I was also lucky enough to work with a local foundation that was teaching young Haitian students to fly and giving them a chance at a real future. More about AFH: AFH - Aviation For Humanity (http://www.afh.aero)

The earthquake that hit the country is a catastrophe of unimaginable scope for the people of Haiti. You may have heard that Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, where 80% of the people below the poverty line. Their lives were incredibly difficult before the quake hit, and now they are faced with no shelter, no running water, and no electricity. Hospitals have suffered major damage, and are completely overwhelmed with casualties. Bodies are lying in the streets where they fell.

I’m getting on a plane to Haiti on the weekend, to look for people I have not been able to reach (all cell and land lines are down), and to assist survivors in any way I can. There is a possibility we can start flying supplies in from the Dominican Republic with one of the foundation planes based in Port au Prince, but of course there is no way to coordinate this until I am there. I’ll also be taking medical supplies to Project Medishare, which has set up a trauma centre in one of the hangars at the airport, and on the street outside a small hotel in Petionville.

The last trip I made to Haiti took up the remainder of the AFH budget set aside for projects in Haiti for the next few months. If you are like me, you want to know that a charitable donation is actually going to make a difference, rather than going towards advertising or office administration etc. Your gift will go directly towards costs for supplies and my travel to Haiti. I have set up a Paypal account where you can easily use a credit card to make a donation to AFH. If you are in the US, your gift is 100% tax deductible. Please click this link to go to the donation site: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=11185300

Anything you can spare will help put an extra pair of boots on the ground in Haiti. Mine.

Thank you,

Rymann Winter
President, Aviation For Humanity

Shiny Side Up
30th Jan 2010, 19:33
The situation is desperate and aid is very slow in getting out to the people.
We were able to put supply flights together with the C182, delivering food to the outlying areas of the country that were also hard hit by the quake. They were the most fulfilling flights I have ever made as a pilot. Getting gas has been hit-or-miss, but we have been successful in getting at least one flight a day out into the rural areas. The flights will be operated by my guys in Port-au-Prince while I'm away.

I just got back from Haiti, and have a new mission - I need a bigger plane (Pilatus PC12 or a KingAir B200) that can make direct runs from Miami into Port-au-Prince. The jets and turboprops that were being donated after the quake are starting to dry up as Haiti falls away from the media spotlight. I need this plane to shuttle medical teams and supplies from the US directly into Haiti. If you or someone you know know has the means to support our efforts and the desire to put the tools needed into the hands of a hard-working, no-bull**** crew, please let me know. We were in Haiti before the quake hit, and we are doing everything we can to rebuild this devastated country.

We will be making a flight next week into Haiti, flying a medical team from Project Medishare with a donated PC12. Project Medishare and University of Miami have set up a field hospital at the airport that is providing critical care to hundreds of injured. More planes are needed, please get in touch if you have an aircraft you would like to put to good use.

Rymann Winter
President, Aviation For Humanity

AFH - Aviation For Humanity (http://www.afh.aero)

Check 6
31st Jan 2010, 23:42
Rymann, have you checked with NBAA?

NBAA Haiti link (http://nbaa.org/news/2010/haiti/)

Shiny Side Up
1st Feb 2010, 01:22
Check 6 - Thanks, yes I have access to the NBAA Haiti registry.

UPDATE
We will be making several runs from KOPF to MTPP this coming week in a donated PC12. I will be back in the office on Tuesday, and would be more than happy to answer any questions from aircraft owners contemplating going down to help.

Rymann Winter