PDA

View Full Version : South African DC-3 to fly to Oshkosh for 75 years DC-3 formo flight

Round Engine
15th Jan 2010, 13:24
Taken from another forum - but interesting...

Dakota Association of South Africa DC-3 75th
by Jaws » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Greetings all,

As many of you know the Douglas DC-3 celebrates her 75 birthday on the 17th of December 2010.

The Dakota Association of South Africa are keen on taking a South African DC-3 to Oshkosh to take part in the EAA AirVenture celebratory function from
26 July to 1 August. Our discussions are very much in the "brain storming phase" and I would appreciate comments and suggestions from you as to a way
forward with this idea. Please see all correspondence below with regard to the Douglas DC-3 75th Anniversary. All links in the correspondence are clickable for further info etc. Or go to Welcome to The Dakota Association of South Africa DASA or the direct link to DC-3 75 Anniversary page which is Dakota Association of South Africa DC-3 C-47 75th anniversary
You will shortly receive details of a meeting to be held by DASA in late January 2010, agenda, date and venue still being finalised.
Your thoughts, suggestions, items for the agenda etc will be welcome.
Compliments of the season to you all.
Kind regards
Jaws
John Austin-Williams
Public Relations and Media Liaison Officer for:
The Dakota Association of South Africa Welcome to The Dakota Association of South Africa DASA
and
The South African Airways Museum Society Welcome to The SAA Museum Society
Cell: +27 (0) 83 459-7802
Home: +27 (0) 11 465-2136

To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: TheLastTime: DC-3 75th South Africa and Oshkosh

Hello John, greetings from America! The anniversary has gone large over here, resounding enthusiasm, we appreciate your interest. I would suggest making an attempt to bring one aircraft over to represent your society, fund raising for that effort from your side would have to be large. The event really will be a once in a lifetime type occasion. Let us know if you will try. The slots are going fast for the formation arrival, but plenty of room if you just want to go to the grounds as a static display. If you would like to request a slot and think that you will make it, use the site to request a position.
Thanks,
Dan

To Alan Mocke AirBp
Dear Alan,
Great to chat to you again.
As mentioned the Dakota Association of South Africa is gearing up for the DC-3's 75th Anniversary celebrations, exactly one year from today on 17
December 2010. As mentioned we would like to take a Douglas DC-3 Dakota to the Oshkosh EAA AirVenture, 26 July to 1 August 2010. With reference to our telephonic discussions a few days ago please visit the following websites to glean an insight as to what is being planned for Oshkosh.
EAA confirms DC-3 75th focus for Oshkosh 2010 EAA News - EAA to Celebrate 75th Anniversary of Douglas DC-3 at AirVenture
Further information EAA - The Spirit of Aviation - Oshkosh, WI and EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration
More details - a must see and very important information for DC-3 participants The Last Time
Then see my attached letter (copied below) which I sent to the Oshkosh team via their contact section of the website The Last Time

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions as to where AirBp could assist in getting a DC-3 to the Oshkosh event.
I look forward to your response.
Compliments of the season to you and AirBp staff.
Kind regards
John

DC-3 75th South Africa and Oshkosh
17 December 2009
Dear Sir/Madam,
Greetings from Johannesburg, South Africa.
I am slowly managing to get the Dakota Association of South Africa back on its feet after being dormant since about 2001.
To this end I started the website Welcome to The Dakota Association of South Africa DASA dedicated to the DC-3 / C-47 aircraft that have operated in South Africa, either on the civil or air force register and I am gathering data of all South African DC-3s for the website. There is also a section for DC-3 in Africa.
Toward the end of January 2010 I will be arranging a "first meeting" for DASA. At this meeting a committee will be elected and discussions held with
regard to the re-establishment of the Dakota Association of South Africa.

Judging from feedback I have received during the past 18 months of getting the DASA website up and running we will not be short of volunteers and
members.

Once elected the committee’s focus will be on getting administration in order, opening a bank account and recruiting new members and portfolio
holders for the various projects ahead.

The main focus will be the planning and execution of various celebratory functions around South Africa for the 17th of December 2010.

There are a number of DC-3s that will be available to attend our own South African DC-3 75th fly-in. Progress reports of our planning etc will be posted on the DASA website on a regular basis.

Literally in the last week a few of us have discussed the possibility of brining one of the South African DC-3s to the Oshkosh 75th function. I am on the governing body of The South African Airways Museum Society Welcome to The SAA Museum Society a non profit volunteer organisation dedicated to the
preservation of South African Airways and general civil aviation history in South Africa. Amongst our collection of aircraft is ZS-BXF, a pristine DC-3
that still plies her trade to the tourism industry. We were most fortunate in that the entire South African Historic Flight fleet was donated to the
Museum in December 2007. A company called Skyclass Aviation Air Charters | Executive Tourism Jets | VIP Air Transfers | Classic Airliners operate them for us. You may recall that Douglas DC-4 ZS-BMH took part in the Oshkosh 1994 air show and came back with a prize!

So, our discussions have been purely embryonic at this stage, we have had only brief chats about getting ZS-BXF to Oshkosh. We will be having further
discussions in the next few weeks, including Captain Flippie Vermeulen who was the driving force behind getting the DC-4 to Oshkosh in 1994.

I would be most grateful to hear your comments and suggestions regarding us getting a Dak, or more than one, to Oshkosh for this prestigious event.

I would also appreciate any updates etc to add to our website, maybe a list of the DC-3s that at this stage are planning to take part.
I look forward to your response.
Compliments of the season to you and the team.
Kind regards
John
John Austin-Williams
Public Relations and Media Liaison Officer for:
The Dakota Association of South Africa Welcome to The Dakota Association of South Africa DASA
and
The South African Airways Museum Society Welcome to The SAA Museum Society
Cell: +27 (0) 83 459-7802
Home: +27 (0) 11 465-2136
John Austin-Williams
PR and Media Liaison officer: South African Airways Museum Society Welcome to The SAA Museum Society
Jaws