View Full Version : Joining a union

Adamant Banter
14th Jan 2010, 22:50
Can anyone advise me of the pros of joining BALPA - are there any insurance policies that I should consider instead? Thanking you all in anticipation..........

Night_fr8
15th Jan 2010, 10:46
Dont join BALPA
There are other much cheaper and better option out there.
UNITE.
IPA/IPF
BALPA have the hype but deliver little.

turbine100
15th Jan 2010, 11:02
I joined BALPA after finishing my training for loss of license insurance. They dont seem to be setup to help people who have completed training looking for jobs. Rather experienced crews in full time employment.

The LOG magazine that is sent out reflects this too.

Groundloop
15th Jan 2010, 11:34
Is is the British AIRLINE Pilots' Association, after all.

Until you are an actual airline pilot maybe they are not interested in you.:ok:

Hansard
16th Jan 2010, 20:59
I didn't like their careers advice and there's little in The Log that's relevant to me but I would still say join, especially in the current climate where many employers are abusing their strong position and screwing the workforce. If you get into a spot of bother at any point, better to have BALPA's advice/assistance than not.

Leezyjet
16th Jan 2010, 22:35
Whats the crack with BALPA in this limbo situation ?. I joined when I was in training as it's free, but once my training finished, I've had nothing more from them....and of course there are no flying jobs around at the moment.
:confused:

B-HVY
16th Jan 2010, 22:43
You can join BALPA as an "Associate Member" if you are unemployed. I believe the annual fee is around £20. Check their website for more info.