PDA

View Full Version : Conked Out!

BarbiesBoyfriend
14th Jan 2010, 17:50
3 am. Woke up. Sore anus. Felt like a pain inside the actual butt.

sat on bog expecting something to 'happen', but nothing did.

felt bad stomach pain and then woke up on the floor.

Since been to Docs (seen two) who explained about vagal reactionbut no ideaof actual cause.

any ideas, anybody.

(has happened twice now, first time was 1 year ago.)

gingernut
14th Jan 2010, 19:27
Such a short history and duration may make your doc want to adopt a "wait and see" approach, which sounds reasonable. (I suspect that the questions he asked of your symptoms, and his examination, if appropriate, have settled his mind.)

If your symptoms persist, pester him, cheers, ginge.

BarbiesBoyfriend
14th Jan 2010, 19:33
Thanks Ginge

Yep. That's what he said...'If it happens again......'

Could stopping drinking totally, as I had done one week before, cause this?

It was the same thing last year, you know, post x-mas detox. then the first event.

gingernut
14th Jan 2010, 20:25
Anal pain should never be ignored. There's probably about 200 different possible reasons for your symptoms, about 3 of them serious, and about 197 not so serious and self limiting. The key for the diagnostician is in the history. Tha vagal explanation seems reasonable, could as easily be put down to constipation/change in diet etc.

Your quack is right, go back if it persists.

Keep us updated.

BarbiesBoyfriend
14th Jan 2010, 20:50
Ginge

Thanks.:ok:

Mac the Knife
16th Jan 2010, 18:09
Sounds like classical proctalgia fugax ("fleeting pain in the bum" in Latin) to me. It's a pelvic floor or anal sphincter cramp. Quite common (yes, I've had it).

Reasonable description in Wikipedia - Proctalgia fugax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax)

The pain is deep, sickening, unpleasant visceral pain and this sort of pain classically produces vagal stimulation which slows your heart and drops your BP (hence fainting) which is what happened to you.

Try a warm drink and a walk. Gentle anal dilatation with a lubricated finger and internal massage seems to terminate it more quickly (though it rarely lasts more than 1/2 hour).

Welcome to the world of bottoms!

:ok:

Mac

BarbiesBoyfriend
19th Jan 2010, 14:58
Mac.

Spot on!

I've had it a few times over the years but only conked out twice.

That would be the two times I got up and sat on the bog!

So, next time, I'll ermm, get a warm drink.

Or maybe I could command my wife to stick one of her fingers up me arse!

Seriously, though. You have described the symptoms utterly correctly.

Please accept my grateful thanks.:):ok:

I'm relieved!

earnest
19th Jan 2010, 15:52
Get a neighbours wife to do that.

Your wife's got to cook your tea with those hands.

teresa green
29th Jan 2010, 11:28
Used to be quite common during the earlier days of flying. It brought the phase a "pain in the arse" to a whole new meaning. Don't know if it was the type of aircraft and vibration, but at one stage on the DC6 the cabin crew (female) had to take off their shoes in the galley or face lack of bladder control. (not a good look) Probably caused by long haul flying (if you do that) or simply sitting for so long. Keep in contact with your doc, I remember one of the pilots had to have some s-t-r-e-c-h-i-n-g done in that part of his dererre, and had to face some hard humor in the crewroom for some time afterwards!

BarbiesBoyfriend
29th Jan 2010, 13:17
Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that!:)

777AV8R
30th Jan 2010, 05:18
Yup, had it several times after sitting for extended periods of time, especially long haul. Usually when just nicely asleep. EXCRUCIATING pain.

I have a medical friend and he suggested drawing a nice hot bath and sitting in it...AND...IT WORKS! This allows the muscle to relax.

BarbiesBoyfriend
30th Jan 2010, 17:36

Nice to know it's not just you. Or me!

Next time I get it, I'll just turn over and try to sleep.

Knowledge=power.;)

christn
12th Feb 2010, 05:51
You have a bath on the 777?

Tim00
12th Feb 2010, 13:55
Try reading this. All of it. It might help.

Singletrack World The Picolax Thread Returns (http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/)

27mm
16th Feb 2010, 14:25
Have had this on one or two occasions - it feels like I'm sitting on a bayonet -and the sharpness of the pain invariably causes me to shout something in lower Anglo-Saxon (most embarrassing when I was trying on a suit in Harrods).

BarbiesBoyfriend
16th Feb 2010, 21:37
Re Picolax.

Talk about '****ting through the eye of a needle!':eek:

Tell you though folks. Got to be the only times I ever passed out- through anything.

On a wider note. If that's what dieing is like....don't worry. You'll not even notice.;)