PDA

View Full Version : Intraocular pressure

netlordr23
14th Jan 2010, 14:58
I'm going to carry out a license conversion from FAA to JAA, and as I need an initial class 1 medical I've gone through some tests beforehand.
I've done an extensive eye revision and I've been told I have an intraocular eye pressure of around 23mm hg.
I would like to know if this would be restrictive for passing the Class 1.
I don't wear glasses, and my eyesight is normal.
I haven't started treatment for lowering the pressure yet, and I wanted to know if in this case I should start before the examination.

obgraham
14th Jan 2010, 23:31
Can't speak for JAA, but as far as the FAA, use of medication to lower intra-ocular eye pressure requires a Special Issuance, for all classes, be it Class 3 or better. (Ask me how I know!) It's routinely issued, but requires a full ophthalmologic opinion and a fancy form.

Suggest a repeat evaluation, different time of day, perhaps different facility. 23 is higher than normal, but not dramatic.

Presumably you had a complete evaluation for any sign of glaucoma beyond just the pressure.

netlordr23
17th Jan 2010, 18:06
I did have a complete eye checkup, everything was normal, and no damage to the eye nerve, other than the value of pressure being higher than normal.
Anyone knows the answer relating to JAA?

skianyn vannin
17th Jan 2010, 19:38
I was diagnosed with raised intraocular pressure 9 years ago. I already held a JAA class one at the time. Pressures in both eyes were above 50mm Hg. The UK CAA were pretty good and allowed me to keep my class one, once they were satisfied the pressure was controlled with eye drops. I also have to have an annual visual field test. Since then I have also had an SLT op to the left eye to try and reduce the pressure further.

My IOp's are now between 16 and 20 mm Hg, so I would suggest you don't really have any problems. However I would suggest you go and visit an Opthalmologist to make sure. Hope this helps.

bef1
12th Jan 2012, 19:42
50 is very high pressure. Good that itīs lower now! What was the reason, diagnose for that pressure?