PDA

View Full Version : Fatal RNZAF CT4 Airtrainer crash, New Zealand (merged)

juliet
13th Jan 2010, 20:36
RNZAF pilot killed in training plane crash - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10620124)

Dangerboy666
13th Jan 2010, 20:44
Tragic loss this morning

RNZAF pilot killed in training plane crash - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10620124)

TimmoWhakatane
13th Jan 2010, 21:28
An air force pilot believed to be a member of the Red Checkers team has been killed this morning after their aircraft crashed.
The crashed plane, thought to be a CT4 Airtrainer, flew out of Ohakea Air Base.
Chief of Air Force, Air Vice Marshal Graham Lintott, confirmed the death.
"It is with deep regret that I must confirm that the Royal New Zealand Air Force has lost a pilot following a fatal crash in the Manawatu this morning."
He said the aircraft was conducting a practice routine. They had lost contact with it around 8am.
It crashed near the Raumai weapons range at Santoft, west of Bulls.
Only one aircraft was involved, Air Vice Marshal Lintott said.
Ambulance services confirmed a person, believed to be the pilot and only person on board, was killed.
The Fire Service was alerted at 8.15am and sent eight fire engines.
Ambulance services were alerted at 8.18am and found one person dead on arrival.
The cockpit was well alight when they arrived and the blaze was hard to contain, Newstalk ZB reported.
An air force Iroquois helicopter flew to the crash site.
The air force said next of kin were being informed.
The death is the second for the Defence Force in less than three months.
Flight Sergeant Andrew Forster was killed in November when an old artillery shell exploded, as he and another soldier from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron marked it for later disposal

Source: Pilot dies in air force plane crash - national | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3229436/Pilot-dies-in-air-force-plane-crash)

Samuel
13th Jan 2010, 22:09
The town is Bulls, and is some distance from the crash site..but then that is the Auckland Herald reporting.:ugh:

BlueWolf
14th Jan 2010, 00:32
Reported sadly. Faith and respect. He had just become a father, apparently.

Air Force pilot killed in stunt crash named - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10620124)

Air Force pilot killed in stunt crash named
Updated 2:18 PM Thursday Jan 14, 2010

The Air Force pilot who died in in a plane crash near Ohakea Air Base today has been named.

He was Squadron Leader Nick Cree.

The CT-4 training aircraft he was flying hit the ground while conducting an aerial routine near Ohakea this morning.

Chief of Air Force Air Vice Marshal Graham Lintott says Squadron Leader Cree was a new father. He says he joined the Air Force in 1996 and loved flying.

Holding back tears, Air Vice Marshal Lintott told media it is a tragic day for the Air Force. He says there is still no indication of what went wrong.

Prime Minister John Key also expressed his deep regret at Squadron Leader Cree's death.

"It is particularly saddening to learn a pilot died while practising aerial display manoeuvres - a spectacle which entertains thousands of New Zealanders over the summer months. The Red Checkers are our air force's only aerobatic team and their reputation and skills are first-class," Mr Key said.

"The Royal New Zealand Air Force's safety record is excellent - but there are always dangers when flying and, regrettably, they can claim the lives of even the very best of our pilots."

The events served to remind New Zealanders defence force members, both in New Zealand and overseas, regularly put their lives at risk, he said.

Squadron Leader Nick Cree was from the Air Force's Red Checkers display team and was being used for a routine practice.

An investigation is under way and the cause of the crash is not yet known.

- NZ HERALD STAFF

Samuel
14th Jan 2010, 01:11
This is the third thread currently running...on this sad event.

bakseetblatherer
14th Jan 2010, 01:11
R.I.P My condolences to family and friends :(

BladeSailor
14th Jan 2010, 06:29
Thanks for the front seat ride in Timor a few years back. You were a pleasure to fly with. The men and women of the TLAG and AAAvn send their condolences.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Jan 2010, 17:15
Condolences to the family from the other side of the world.

I met a couple of the Checkers at Binty's wedding last year. Sad News.

Duncs:ok:

Samuel
14th Jan 2010, 17:32
It's not often you see a CAS moved almost to tears while making the official announcement to the press yesterday. The RNZAF is a very close family, and this loss will be taken hard.

propfails2FX
14th Jan 2010, 22:38
Nick was an outstanding pilot, and even better man. Another reminder to enjoy what we have, and live life to the fullest. R.I.P. Nick.

alexhara
18th Oct 2011, 13:09
The official report of the crash was released.

Red Checkers Fatal Crash killing Nick Cree (http://aerobaticteams.net/news/red-checkers-crash-report.html)

Whenurhappy
19th Oct 2011, 07:25
As a former RNZAF officer, who continues to have social and professional dealings with the Kiwis, I send my condolences.