PDA

View Full Version : MEA Ramp accident at DNKN

Klogic
13th Jan 2010, 20:00
I just saw a Middle East Airlines Airbus A330 parked at Kano with the left winglet damaged.It reportedly hit a Kabo Air 747-200 5N-JRM while trying to park.The 742 has its APU and left elevator severely damaged.

atedo
14th Jan 2010, 09:22
The A330 hit a parked B742 on taxi.Happened 12012010.

exeng
14th Jan 2010, 16:43
The 747 has significant damage to the LH horizontal stab and the APU area.

In particular the underside of the LH stab looks badly scored and the LH inboard elevator is fit for scrap.

The APU shrouding has a very bad tear just beneath the exhaust and rippling on the RH side of the shroud.

I suspect the scoring to the underside of the stab could be considered very serious.

The MEA 330 winglet looks a bit sorry for itself, but not as bad as I would have expected given the damage it inflicted on the 747 which I'm told was parked minding its own business.

Meet the boss, no tea and biccies I guess.

Regards
Exeng

The Maestro
14th Jan 2010, 19:47
I've been into DNKN twice since the official end of the Hajj airlift. The ramp is seriously congested. The number of parked Kabo Air and Max Air B747 aircraft has suffocate the apron. With each arrival I taxied in gingerly and waited until wingwalkers appeared to guide me in. There is literally no space for maneuvering, except for a little bit of space on the northern side, and even this more often than not harbors a Gulfstream IV or other business jet. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone clipped someone else's nose or tail; I had no idea it would be so soon.

There are at least 6 active jumbos (747s) and a Kabo 757, plus 2 other scrapped 747s and other aircraft in various stages of disrepair parked on that ramp, and in my opinion, that ramp can only safely park 4 jumbos at any time. This latest incident is one of several on that particular ramp. Several years ago the wing of a Kabo 747 amputated the tail of a LET 410 whilst turning to park. On another occasion that I remember, (again while turning) a Kabo 747 wing clipped the wing of another 747.
Perhaps Max Air should consider parking their B747/300 behemoths in Katsina or Kaduna, once the Hajj is over, and leave Kano to Kabo only. The Kano airport does not have enough ramp space to park their 747s, and still leave room for local domestic airplanes to conduct their business. Since Max Air business is for now seasonal, they should consider parking their airplanes at another location until the next Hajj, to free up space

Airbus123
20th Jan 2010, 17:19
Hi,

You refer to 2 scrapped B747 on the ramp.

However, it is unclear if these are the result of previous "bumps" or are simply old Kabo Air aircraft that have seen their last flight.

Perhaps they could be removed to make some room?