PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian off taxi-way at ENDU

Jimmyjimjim
13th Jan 2010, 14:22
Passengers where told this was because the Crew wheren't informed taxi-way was closed due to ice.

No kidding, it was going off sideways.
Pic included:
Fly skled av taksebanen på Bardufoss - VG Nett om Luftfart (http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=590854)

ab33t
13th Jan 2010, 16:03
Thanks , you can actually see the skid marks in the photo . That was a big oops

HighLow
13th Jan 2010, 16:26
Come on Boys and Girls, fellow professionals have been a victim of the extreme weather conditions...

Where are all your posts of concern??? Of course I'm relating to a similar incident that took place in the UK recently....After 2 hours we were upto POST #35,

2 hours after the initial post with this incident in Norway however has led to a somewhat different reaction......hmmmmm, no outcry!!!

I strongly suggest to all of the "Professionals" that were quick enough to celebrate the misfortunes of their fellow colleagues within the industry, not be so quick in future to throw stones.

And if you do wish to cast judgement so quickly, as least be consistent in your actions......

To the crew of this recent incident at ENDU,
------------------------------------------
I am sure they can testify that this kinda situation can happen to anyone even to the most alert crew.

HighLow

Cloud Bunny
13th Jan 2010, 16:57
Here here. Perhaps now the realisation that this can happen to any crew, in any airline (even those that are the most experienced in these conditions) will shut the FR bashers up, if not for good then maybe for a while at least.
:hmm:

Flap40
13th Jan 2010, 17:50
There's a bit of a difference between going sideways off a taxiway and failing to make the last turn off from a runway.

jetset lady
13th Jan 2010, 18:15
Or maybe it's because it seems to be a weekly occurrence at the moment.

Out of interest, is this sort of incident becoming more and more frequent and if so, why? Or have aircraft regularly been slipping, sliding and falling off various taxiways and runways for years, but the popularity of sites such as this, means we're now more likely to hear about it?

forget
13th Jan 2010, 18:16
you can actually see the skid marks in the photo . That was a big oops.

No you can't, and no it wasn't. The aircraft has slipped sideways, which ain't a skid.

Avman
13th Jan 2010, 18:39
Or have aircraft regularly been slipping, sliding and falling off various taxiways and runways for years, but the popularity of sites such as this, means we're now more likely to hear about it?

The answer to that is a resounding "yes". Before the internet, most of these type of minor "incidents" may have made the local paper at best.

HighLow
13th Jan 2010, 19:49
:=

Quite Astonishing, now this thread has been "MOVED" to
Misc Forums>Spectators Balcony in the space of a few hours.

A question needs to be asked to the moderators here on PPRUNE.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Similar threads like the DORTMUND incident and RYR in PIK have remained on the Main Rumours Forum for quite sometime. However once somebody points out what is quite clear an inconsistency in response all depending on the carrier involved, it gets moved to some dark corner of PPRUNE to live its final days out as a lonely, empty thread.

I would like to know the reason for moving this thread,

High Low

And to add: please refer to your own definition of this forum
If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

I AM a professional pilot with a view to express my opinion, I would ask the moderators to move this thread BACK to its original location

Bigmouth
13th Jan 2010, 21:40
this can happen to any crew, in any airline (even those that are the most experienced in these conditions)
I think you will find upon further investigation, that as is the case with similar airlines - read low cost/massive expansion in a very short time requiring recruitment far in excess of available talent - most of the gents occupying the two seats up front are not very much experienced in anything.
Except of course those who have been found too old to be employed elsewhere.
Mind you, I am not saying that said lack of experience was necessarily the cause here.

And I too am curious to hear why this thread has been moved and buried when others are not.

CJ1234
14th Jan 2010, 09:05
I too wonder why this has been moved.

Pprune isn't just a place where you CHAT about aviation events and give your opinions on them. PPrune should be, more importantly, a RESOURCE, raising awareness for us pilots and warning against complacency/shoddiness/potential aviation hazards/ possible mistakes.

Whether it's Ryanair at Dortmund or Bongo Bongo Airlines at Cumbernauld, incidents like this are important for the above reasons.

My opinions on this:
I am sure they can testify that this kinda situation can happen to anyone even to the most alert crew.

I think we need to know more about the situation before we can say this - I would suggest that this is a potentially serious incident - so perhaps unwise to just discard it as an 'anyone could've done it' incident. I do know with my knowledge of operating into small airfields (mme:}, for example) that they are, perhaps understandably, very unwilling to spend money on de-icing surfaces. I'd like to know more about this incident if possible.