PDA

View Full Version : FAA Currency / Proficiency Checks (Merged)

Tom_22
12th Jan 2010, 03:35
Hi,

If I would like to keep my currency in the above licenses, must i be in the US in order to do that, or can i do just fine in another country flying under ICAO rules, and just need to simulate FAA regulations?

hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks,

Tom

malc4d
12th Jan 2010, 10:29
Not 100% sure, think that the flight review and IPC needs a FAA CFI - CFII, but can be done anywhere in any aircraft. As can the 90 day and
S. six approaches
H. hold
I. intercecpt
T track
thing.
Although the USA is a VFR - IFR flyers paradise compeared to other places.....:cool:

B2N2
12th Jan 2010, 13:54
FAA PPL:

90 days 3 T/O and landings in order to carry passengers ( 61.57)
Every 24 calender months a Flight review (61.56)

It does not expire. If you hold a US PPL certificate and have not flown for 20 years, legally you only need to comply with the above.

US Instrument rating:
6 approaches, hold, airways etc in previous 6 months.
Regulation does not mention anything about this having to be in US airspace or in a US registered airplane. All of the approaches you may have done in Europe count towards these requirements.

If you' ve done nothing for 6 months you cannot act as PIC under IFR but you can regain currency by flying with a safetypilot and doing teh 6 approaches in VFR conditions under simulated IFR (view limiting device).
If you could not be bothered to do anything for 12 months you need to do an IPC with a FAA certificated instrument instructor of which there are plenty in Europe.

Tom_22
12th Jan 2010, 16:12
Thanks for the answers!

The more important info I was looking for, was the thing with the aircraft registration and US airspace, but the other info will be useful as well..:)
I Live in Israel, and flight here is mainly CVFR, anyway insted of travaling all the way to the states, i was wondering if i could maintain the currency over here - and no problem finding here FAA CFI+II's. <-answered that! -> Thanks again.

p.s. - sorry for the ignorance but what is IPC? :O

mcgoo
12th Jan 2010, 17:09
Instrument Proficiency Check

ASK-13
12th Jan 2010, 20:54
My F.A.A. ATP B737 Proficiency Check has expired. Can anyone advise me where I could renew it as cheaply as possible, preferably on the East coast of the States.

B2N2
13th Jan 2010, 13:30
Google is your friend:

Pan Am Academy: Boeing 737-NG Type Rating and Training Courses (http://www.panamacademy.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=147)
Boeing Training & Flight Services - Training Center Location (http://www.alteontraining.com/locations/location.aspx?id=15)
Boeing 737 Type Rating Course - Bond Aviation Services (http://www.bondaviationservices.com/B737typerating.htm)

Tom_22
16th Jan 2010, 12:59
ohh..one thing, you were refering to the flight review - is this done by any instructor? and needs to be done every 24 months regardless to when my last flight was?

crj705
17th Jan 2010, 03:21
A flight review must be done every 24 months before you can act as PIC using your FAA certificates unless:

1. You are employed by a US airline certified under Part 121 or 135 or a rated pilot in the US military. The airline's / military's proficiency checks take the place of the required flight review. or

2. Get a new rating on your certificate. For example, if you add an instrument rating to your PPL, the 24 months starts from your instrument checkride.

There are a few other exceptions provided but the 2 above are the most common.

These checks can be done anywhere in the world and in any aircraft; however, it must be done by an FAA certified instructor or examiner.

The date of your last flight has no affect on your Flight Review's currency. If it was 24 month's since your last flight review and you have flown as PIC every day since then, you are not legal to fly tomorrow as PIC until a flight review is conducted.

Tom_22
17th Jan 2010, 15:13
Thanks again guys!

crj705
18th Jan 2010, 11:53
I think you are being a little harsh.

I would be willing to bet that if you walked up to a CFI at any airport in the US and asked him if he was able to give a flight review in a foreign country in a foreign registered aircraft they would either not know or say no.

Regardless, CFI privileges and authority are not part of a flight review under Part 61.

Tom_22
18th Jan 2010, 14:48
SoCal App - I know my status. And Yes it has been a while since I touched any material regarding flight, not to mention flying by itself (about 1.5 years) due to different reasons - Thus, The questions..

crj705 - You have been very helpful! Thank you very much!