PDA

View Full Version : Float plane rating

Trokkie
11th Jan 2010, 12:44
Howzit guys!
Anybody know where you can get a decent Float plane or sea plane rating in Southern Africa??
I've got a friend that says he saw a caravan on floats the other day near Mosselbaai... anyone know where i can find that VAN?
any info would be Awesum!!

ab33t
11th Jan 2010, 14:07
That plane is based in Cape Town ZS-ORR

Carrier
11th Jan 2010, 16:22
Who is the operator if it?

Trokkie, you are unlikely to get the training and test for a float rating done in a C208 Caravan. That would be expensive and the company's insurance would probably not permit it. You will have to find somewhere that does the rating in a basic single such as a PA12, C150, etc. You would probably then have to build time and move up through C185, DHC2 before you would be allowed to train for a C208 or DHC3.

Consider a vacation in Canada and do your float rating there. You would have to check first with the SA CAA to find out what would be needed to have it added to a South African licence. A good place would be Elmhirst Vacation Air (Free Spirit Adventures) in Ontario. They have a PA12 and it would be possible to get a couple of hours on their C185. If you do your rating there you get a reduction on the Resort accommodation.

Kawartha Ontario Resort Cottage Rentals & Conference Centre - Elmhirst Resort (http://www.elmhirst.com)

Elmhirst Vacation Air Ltd. (Floats) - Pilot Career Centre (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/AirCarrier.aspx?id=207)

Trokkie
12th Jan 2010, 10:50
Thanx alot guys!
If you consider that i allready have about 300 hrs on a caravan and 200 hrs on an Aerocommander that the insurance would still be a big problem?? I hold both NAM an SA comms and got about 1600 TT.
But still thanx alot for the information, flying in Canada does sound AWESUM!! Will definately be looking up those places!
Does anyone know who operates that Van? couldn't hurt just giving them a call?
Cheers!! duty calls...haha

B200Drvr
13th Jan 2010, 07:32
Trokkie.
The US or Canada are going to be the places to go, and yes, even with your 300 hrs on Vans, insurance would still be a huge issue, as you have no float time.

stubby4inch
14th Jan 2010, 17:49
Hi,
Is that plane still based in the Cape?
I am there just now..
ciao.
stubby