PDA

View Full Version : Flying N reg A/C with FAA CPL in the UK

Jay_solo
11th Jan 2010, 10:50
Hi,

Can you be employed to fly an N-Reg Aircraft in the UK with an FAA CPL/ATPL, with out the need for an EASA fATPL? Not instructing, but fly as a commercial pilot for an owner/operator.

G-SPOTs Lost
11th Jan 2010, 10:58
Absolutely no prob. Did it for years.

Jay_solo
11th Jan 2010, 11:03
Ok, did you fly for a private owner or company? And what did you fly?

ab33t
11th Jan 2010, 11:32
You van fly private or corporate any aircraft

S-Works
11th Jan 2010, 12:30
Yes you can. I fly both EASA and N reg aircraft commercially. As long as you hold an appropriate licence for the aircraft and type then there is no problem at all.

You can be employed as a pilot on a corporate or private aircraft. What you can't do is 'hold out' i.e provide your own aircraft and services. This requires an AOC in Europe and I imagine compliance with part 121/135 as applicable.

youngskywalker
11th Jan 2010, 13:01
Also the new 'M' reg plus a few others such as Bermuda etc. Not having much luck with that these days myself though!:-(

NuName
12th Jan 2010, 04:06
Not wishing to be picky but, just so Jay_solo does not misunderstand, the FAA CPL/ATPL allow's for a validation to fly M, VP, P4 etc reg aircraft, although this is usually quite easy, you can't just jump in and go.

capt.sparrow
15th Jan 2010, 09:31
Slightly off thread, but near enough - on an FAA CPL/Instrument what do you need to operate as co-pilot on an N / VP / M reg in Europe? ie, must you have a PIC type rating, or can you suffice with an SIC sign off?

NuName
15th Jan 2010, 10:04
You need the type on your licence stating SIC

Rusty Trombone
19th Jan 2010, 02:15
Just to confirm on this CPL issue.
A FAA CPL can only act as PIC on a VP-B/VP-C/M Registered if he has a PIC type rating and has undergone an annual type check on type.
The Foreign Territories do not accept SIC qualifications, unlike the FAA.

Validations under the ANO Bermuda, Cayman and IOM are strict on this and in addition will also require a class 1 medical in most cases.
They will validate a CPL no problem as long as you are typed PIC, however they are looking at increasing this at above certain weight cat to be a ATPL in the future.
In addition to this new legislation being proposed that if 2 crew are flying overseas territories that one is at least a ATPL if the crew member is over the age of 60.
This is being driven by EASA and the french DGA