PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Moving Map display

303Traveller
11th Jan 2010, 09:26
In the current security climate, I understand that individual airlines are left to decide whether or not to display current location /moving map display via the Pax Entertainment System.
Would anyone please advise if Virgin (Atlantic) have moved / are likely to move to taking away one of the more interesting entertainment channels from my flight to New Delhi next month? Thanks in anticipation!

Dave Gittins
11th Jan 2010, 09:36
No idea what the answer is to your question .. but if anybody else is interested, Qatar did not have the moving map on display in last Thursdays JFK - DOH. Indeed even the "time to go" was blank.

By contrast United's audio channel 9 was fully functional (i am pleased to say) on 4th Jan's DEN-LGA.

Businesstraveller
11th Jan 2010, 12:33
It would be good to see an appropriate level of response to the Detroit incident. Certain parts of the world have/continue to live with terrorist/security threats (other than Islamic fundamentalism) and don't let it pervade their pysche to the point of mortal fear of almost anything. One example might be the 'Troubles' in Northern Ireland - over 1,800 civilians killed, but people didn't feel they were in imminent danger of being snuffed out over a 30 year period.

Yes - there is a present threat that someone will be killed as a result of a terrorist incident.

No - you are not likely to be involved/know anyone that is involved.

Fox News (amongst others) could do with getting some perspective.

Final 3 Greens
11th Jan 2010, 12:49
Well said Business Traveller.

I reflect that the Detroit incident showed that the bad guys failed again to get a working bomb onto an airliner.

The same applies to Richard Reid and his dodgy shoe.

Dave Gittins
11th Jan 2010, 12:56
I worked in central London when we were having a "little local difficulty" there 5 years ago and I never felt personally threatened, despite my tube and train journeys being disrupted a few times by both real bombs and failed bombs and occasionally by bomb threats.

And the failed bombs were because they couldn't make those work either .. with no restrictions on what they dragged onto the Tube.

There is some comfort to be taken that many of the bad guys seem to be inept ...

airbourne
11th Jan 2010, 13:50
I went SFO-LHR last Thursday and the moving map was working fine, up until about 10 mins from landing!

silverelise
11th Jan 2010, 13:55
I did LHR-HKG on Saturday and the moving map was live until about 10 mins from landing.

Frankly with some local idiot randomly throwing acid off the rooftops in downtown Hong Kong that they are currently unable to catch (despite one arrest), I think a job lot of profiled, security screened, x-rayed and radar tracked individuals is a much lesser risk.

Flapping_Madly
11th Jan 2010, 23:07
I hope I am allowed to post this. It is very funny IMO

http://thewhitedsepulchre.*************/2010/01/note-to-reason-magazine-this-is-not.html:)

Avman
13th Jan 2010, 08:12
Excellent. Should be sent to all airport security managers in the UK too!

PAXboy
13th Jan 2010, 10:55
Thanks Flap Mad. WELL worth your efforts to get the URL in. It's short (01:05 mins) but utterly superb. :ok:

TightSlot
14th Jan 2010, 09:06
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaHqD5OAYi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VaHqD5OAYi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The original link was to a blog site that reflected a video that was actually stored on YouTube. The url was originally blocked automatically, but the actual video on YouTube can be embedded in your PPRuNe posts.

When posting a response, look for the small YouTube icon in the formatting toolbar, and then copy and paste the embed code on the YouTube page between the brackets - results as shown above.

All Ahead Full
14th Jan 2010, 20:21
Priceless, as said in the Mastercard adverts....