PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster engines?

chips101
7th Jan 2010, 20:29
Having enjoyed my Birthday the other day, I noticed I had a card which showed 5 Lancasters painted by Alex Williams. One of the Lancasters had radial engines! Did this ever happen?

stevef
7th Jan 2010, 20:37
Yes, it's right. the Lancaster MkII had Bristol Hercules radial engines.

NutLoose
7th Jan 2010, 21:09
As said yep, but its ceiling was lower if memory serves me right, meaning you would run into the target with everyone bombing above you........... yikes !!!!

Maverick Laddie
8th Jan 2010, 21:39
Yep but feel sorry for the guys in the Stirlings they had an even lower ceiling they had to risk bombs falling from Merlin and Hercules Lancs and the Halifax's

Georgeablelovehowindia
9th Jan 2010, 18:47
Interesting to note too that the 300 Halifax B Mk IIs built had Rolls-Royce Merlins instead of Bristol Hercules.

:ok:

CV880
15th Jan 2010, 18:09
Bristol Hercules I worked on in my youth (from Bristol Freighters and HP Hastings) only had a single stage, single speed supercharger which reduced their power at altitude and limited their useful ceiling.
RR Merlins (at least later models) had a 2 stage, 2 speed blower system with intercooler which shifted to high speed at altitude to compendsate for reducing air density and restore power.