PDA

View Full Version : Loss of licence at Star Alliance airlines

Clandestino
7th Jan 2010, 19:44
Dear fellow PPRuNers.

For the last decade or so, my colleagues had their Loss of licence premiums paid by the company. As of January 1st, company has decided to stop the payment, as annual cost of 70 000€ for 140 pilots was too heavy burden for it. Also I was informed that we were the very last member of the Star Alliance that paid LoL to its pilots.

So if your airline is memeber of Star Alliance, I'd like you to verify whether the aforementioned statement is true.

Muchas gracias.

C.

xwindflirt
7th Jan 2010, 20:16
no bmi still pays lol and we are star alliance

Clandestino
7th Jan 2010, 20:23
Thank you very much, now I can freely call my HR head a liar. Anyone else?

G.S. Willy
8th Jan 2010, 04:06
Scandinavian airlines pays for loss of licence, for their pilots, and CC, your employer is certenly lying.

N1 and ITT
8th Jan 2010, 13:04
SWISS pays, too...

:=

N1

oceancrosser
8th Jan 2010, 13:26
Remarkable if the company can on its own decide it will not pay LoL anymore. Usually LoL insurance is part of the Collective Labor Agreement. But maybe you guys don't have one? Which country?

Only one way to go, get back at the company. All 140 pilots.

Clandestino
8th Jan 2010, 17:02
Thank you fellows, keep them coming. Just to check: CC in Scandinavian case really means cabin crew? Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit Boratish, but LoL for cabin crew is unheard of in my remote corner of the world.

Our CLA has expired on the new year's eve and the management has cut basic pay by 10%, reduced perdiems by 30%, dumped the LoL and reduced pay increments for years of service by decree. IAW local labour law it's illegal for us to strike while collective bargaining is underway and having your rights reduced during negotiation is not recognized as a valid reason to walk away from the negotiating table.

It's Croatia.

G.S. Willy
8th Jan 2010, 19:45
CC, cabin crew, actually have a LOL, nothing like the pilots, but still. Nothing Boratish about the question, as I guess not many companies have LOL for the CC, but with SAS many CC stay with the company until retirement.

thepotato232
8th Jan 2010, 19:54
The "Star Alliance" is a marketing and code share agreement, nothing more. Any corporate functionary who believes it has any bearing whatsoever when discussing benefits as set by your CLA is either ignorant or lying to you.

You're being screwed by your own company, not the shadowy overlords of the Star Alliance.

Clandestino
8th Jan 2010, 20:15
Thank you very much, G. S. Willy, your info is very useful. I just can't wait to share it with my friends at CC union :ok:

Thanks, The potato232, I am very well aware that membership in this or that alliance has no bearing on our T&C whatsoever. However, the person that stated that no other SA member pays LoL to its pilots has a) recently sang a praise to his own honesty and truthfulness at the workers' assembly b) started a disinformation campaign against the leaders of tech union. Sooner I expose him as a liar, better for me.

flygirl319320
8th Jan 2010, 20:36
great.....we can use this info

seat 0A
10th Jan 2010, 13:25
I don`t understand LoL for cabincrew.
Don`t you have to have a license in the first place, to be able to loose it? :rolleyes:
Do cabincrew in Scandinavia or Croatia have a license?

Clandestino
10th Jan 2010, 13:46
They do in Croatia... for the time being. Anyway, it would be quite possible to arrange the "Loss of medical" insurance in countries which do not require their cabin crew to be licensed by the authority.

Boys and girls from Turkish, United, Spanair, Austrian, ANA, LOT, Thai ... I'm yearning for your response.

G.S. Willy
10th Jan 2010, 17:27
CC in Scandinavia do have a licence, issued by the CAA.

tractorpuller
12th Jan 2010, 22:52
Hi there,

Austrian pays for LOL as well. Same with Tyrolean. Not the best conditions, so quite a few people arrange something on their own aswell, but there is a LOL payed by the company.

Rgds

Krueger
13th Jan 2010, 13:10
TAP Portugal has LoL paid to its pilots.

You should check through ASAP (Star Alliance Union) for a more comprehensive information.

Check Six, Krueger...:ok:

thepotato232
14th Jan 2010, 18:26
Just checked with a United guy - they don't have LoL insurance through the company itself, but they offer it through their union (ALPA).

quianor
9th Feb 2010, 21:02
Brussels Airlines also pays the loss of licence for their pilots. And we are Star Alliance since a few weeks.

Wind Shear Ahead
9th Feb 2010, 21:16
Spanair,LOL, a percentage is paid by the pilot but most of the cost is paid by the company.
WS

Nightrider
10th Feb 2010, 09:15
THY has it offered in their contracts....

Nightstop
10th Feb 2010, 09:41
Although not members of the Star Alliance, easyJet has substancial LOL insurance paid for by the Company. This is to protect their pilots' from LOL caused by high BP brought on by always being told to give way to Star Alliance airlines such as Spanair (and of course IB) at MAD :yuk: