PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Jan 2010, 14:35
(Not sure if this is the right forum but R&N seems OTT.)

QF1, 6 Jan, a pax saw a fluid leak from around the no. 1 engine (later confirmed by the airline to be fuel). The aircraft stopped on the taxiway, got looked at by engineers, returned to stand, more engineers. By now there was a sizeable wet patch beneath the engine.

The aircraft was unloaded through the jetway, and a replacement aircraft was found to conduct the flight.

Are fuel leaks like this commonplace or rare, are they worrying or not a big deal, and would it have mattered if the passenger hadn't spotted it and the aircraft had taken off?

PAXboy
7th Jan 2010, 15:32
Amateur speaking.
Whether it would have a problem would have depended upon:

Where the leak was originating.
If the leak took fuel near hot surfaces or simply drained quickly out
Whether the fuel could 'pool' inside a recess of the engine
(other points also I'm sure)Well done to:

The pax for spotting
The CC for responding quickly
The FC for action taken
QF for admitting problem in public

ab33t
7th Jan 2010, 16:00
Not common at all the last one I recall ended up being a glider but did land safely

PAXboy
7th Jan 2010, 16:17
Indeed not common. There was one at GVA a couple of years ago, a Nouvelair A320 04 Nov 2006. This is from Aviation Today website.

04 Nov Geneva Switz A320 of Nouvelair reg: TS-INB Fire crew called out after major fuel leak started in rt wing nil (pax deplaned) Foam blanket laid under a/c's right wing at holding point. Probably caused by a vent valve stuck open

Pictures here: MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00892562)

Final 3 Greens
7th Jan 2010, 17:15
In considering fuel leaks, we need to differentiate between

1 - normal fuel tank venting, the system design allows for this

2 - leaks from fuel pipes that should not be leaking (or an abnormal venting incident)

Either way, you end up with fuel on the apron, but the second is not a design feature and therefore potentially dangerous.

I have had both as a pilot of a light aricraft and the first didn't worry me, since I understood why it happened, whereas the second lead me to return to base and 'ground' the aircraft until it had been inspected and passed as safe by an engineer.

Whilst larger aircraft have more complex systems, I believe that the principle is very similar.

Obviously, if you get a large spill on the tarmac, it needs dealing with, however caused.

Tinwacker
12th Jan 2010, 06:52
normal fuel tank venting, the system design allows for this

Yes but not if fuel is on the ground then it's not normal and must be dealt with. Venting is air flow not fuel flow...

Good for pax and QF, this could have just happened and so not be seen during routine transit inspections.

TW

Final 3 Greens
12th Jan 2010, 07:14
Yes but not if fuel is on the ground then it's not normal and must be dealt with. Venting is air flow not fuel flow...

What about fuel loaded at low temperature and then expands due to heating?

I understand that this happens quite often, e.g. on hot days in the middle east when departure is delayed.

Bigmouth
12th Jan 2010, 21:23
You are correct. Obviously fuel dripping from a vent is by design, anywhere else it is not.