PDA

View Full Version : logbook misplaced ..

shanx
7th Jan 2010, 10:53
Hi all,

What is the procedure normally followed if a pilot has misplaced his logbook ?
I have scanned copies and photocopies of all the pages of the logbook including all the endorsements by my CFI (Cross country, Private, commercial checkrides, Comples endorsement etc)
Will these photocopies be good enough to present to any prospective employer or inspector in the future or do I need to rewrite all entries in a new logbook and send it to my school in the US for certification (along with the photocopies ) ?

What other proof can be shown to prove that my entries in the logbook are legitimate ?

Im still hoping to find my logbook somewhere, but just in case.

Thanks !

ab33t
7th Jan 2010, 11:35
Print them off and have them certified and that should do the job.

optimus.Prime
7th Jan 2010, 17:09
do I need to rewrite all entries in a new logbook and send it to my school in the US for certification (along with the photocopies ) ?

I guess that should be "just what the Doctor ordered"! And should deter any further questions, from anyone who'd want to have a look at your Logbook(incl. would-be recruiters/airlines and the like)!:ok:

jester_icarus
7th Jan 2010, 23:31
heres how to save time.

Sounds like you have an FAA license and if you do, request a copy of your latest 8710-1 Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application of your latest check-ride (remember this form). It's required anytime you apply for a new rating (ie. CPL check-ride, CFI check-ride..etc) On this form you annotated all off your current flight time details.

Once you get a copy of your 8710-1 write just the bottom line number and re-construct your flight time from there as best you can. Even better if you scanned those pages. Keep those copies as a reference.

As far as the CFI endorsement..those does not have to be in your logbook, ideally. So long as you have the endorsement.

Remember, there are no standard logbook..just so long as it is properly documented. So photocopies will do but not very impressive method.

As far as sending your logbook to your old flight school for certification, this may be a hopeless idea (in the States). Most school will just print a copy of your flight time or an invoice when you flew there or a letter stating that you flew there for a number of hours..hardly a certified form. I've seen it. The best certified and LEGAL form you can get of your flight time is the FAA Form 8710-1.

:)

COCOCHANEL
9th Jan 2010, 14:29
hi shanx, good move in doing the photocopies! Write an email to your director and courier the photocopies along with the filled out log book as per the photocopy and get it signed and stamped by the chief pilot or the director of your school.

I know a couple of pilots who have made a lot of mistakes in their log books and basically were asked to get "clean" logbooks by the DGCA and they have done exactly as mentioned.

I hope your misplaced log book surfaces somehow!

atpcliff
11th Jan 2010, 02:58
Hi!

It is GREAT that you have paper copies.

Buy a digital logbook, and keep that backed up, both by printing it out periodically, and backing it up digitally in various physical location.

If you want to also keep a hand-written logbook, do that, also. If you are concerned about the stamps (not used in the US/Canada), you can have your hand-written log stamped, or you can stamp your electronic logbook pages after you have printed them.

The elec log is VERY helpful when you have to fill out numerous applications, which all vary WIDELY in the type of information they require (ie: Night PIC, SIC in a specific aircraft, etc.).

cliff
KGRB