PDA

View Full Version : Arikair Rotation

B737NG
6th Jan 2010, 23:26
Good morning,

What is the rotation for Arik Air Pilots? Still 8 weeks on 4 weeks off ? too long away from home.... And too expensive too to have the Blokes on base for 8 weeks. Cheaper to have them flying more efficient up to the max and then send them back to relax where they come from. On the 340 and later on the 777 it is better to rotate them more often to use them better.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

ab33t
7th Jan 2010, 13:19
Fly them to the bone and then send them home

exeng
7th Jan 2010, 17:17
For me the rotation works well. 8 weeks flying followed by 4 weeks quality time at home.

As for Fly them to the bone and then send them home personally I've never had such an easy roster ever. In fact the problem really is the means to avoid boredom with the days off and days on standby. (I'm on the 737, perhaps other fleets are different?) Fly them to the bone!! - try BA shorthaul , Easyjet, Ryanair, or Colgan etc in the USA

The only 'difficult days' are the few that are rostered for 6 sectors (I've done two in the last 6 weeks), otherwise it's a piece of cake with the majority of days being 4 sectors with a nightstop here and there.

For me it is a very good part time job - once you learn to accept Lagos and realise that the people here are generally decent then it becomes quite acceptable. I'd go further and say that I would not go back to my previous 757/737 UK employer - they always kept you on duty regardless of flying just because they could.

People may knock Arik (and it is true that they have much to learn in some ways) but they are certainly not all bad as some may say.

Expanding at a considerable rate at the moment with the possibility of bases overseas in the near future.

Regards
Exeng

TonyWilliams
7th Jan 2010, 19:10
I'm currently enjoying my time home on rotation, which I agreed to shorten to 2 weeks. I guess I'll get 6 weeks on the next rotation.

For me, I really like a month off. It's something you just don't get in virtually any other job. Plus, I change 9 time zones to go home, so it takes a few days to get adjusted.

Guys in Europe have been asking for 4/2 or 6/3, instead of 8/4. I think that should be an option, with some consideration for the extra travel expenses borne by the more frequent visits home.

I've heard that one new fleet may go to 17 on, 13 off for the month. Not sure how that would work, except to say that it will most likely be at a base outside of Nigeria.

Management guys work 8 on, 2 off.

I concur with the thoughts of relatively easy rosters compared to the grinders of the world. I was doing one trip that could easily hit 8 block, and 14 duty, but that was modified in the past 2 weeks. I also typically do 4 sectors, with 5 for an overnight. Sometimes 6. I did 8 one time (4 sectors, then impromptu 4 sectors back and forth to Benin).

I would like rosters with some advance warning, and less last minute changes, but overall, it's not hard work. Living in Lagos can feel a bit confining, as it's difficult to find things to do (besides drinking). I play a lot of golf.

The next thing I plan to do is get a car. Already got my driving license off the street:ok:

CapedVulture
7th Jan 2010, 23:44
Could anyone here advise whether Arik are looking for 737 FO`s.
I was working for a UK operator that went bust last month. (I won`t name them but not hard to guess)

I have 3200 hours with 1900 on the 737 with JAA ATPL and prepared to relocate anywhere for a job. Not very much happening right now in Europe.

Arik sounds quite appealing with the roster and I heard they may be looking?

Many thanks

TonyWilliams
8th Jan 2010, 03:30
I asked the 737 fleet manager about hiring, and he said there wasn't currently.

Like all things, if you want to work here, be ready when / if we do hire, which I predict will be sooner than later.

B737NG
8th Jan 2010, 09:43
Thanks for shedding some light here. I am crossing now up to 17 time zones within 36 hours.... with my present Employer. We all commute 20/10 and that worked well in the past. 8 Weeks away from home I cannot get all that organized what I can do when I am back there once a month. I am commuting since 1996 and it is a common pattern in the meantime.

I would be able to share the travel costs and for the "extra" rotation or find another way of compensation. Fly the maximum in minimum time. Less expenses for the Operator. I have some Colleagues they would jump the ship with me as soon as we would get a indication that the terms would be flexible and not stone 8/4.

E-mail me or PM me for more information if you like and we find a way....

Fly safe and land happy

NG

addisonflyer
8th Jan 2010, 20:47
I am Nigerian and just completed my Professional Pilot training in the US. I am just wondering if anyone has information on my chance(s) of getting into Arik with just under 250 hrs total..

Thank you

atedo
13th Jan 2010, 13:52
why not try VK, there is opening on their site.Virgin Nigeria - VNA Careers (http://www.virginnigeria.com/en/ng/careers.html)

addisonflyer
13th Jan 2010, 13:56
Thank you for the Vk heads up