PDA

View Full Version : Only MayDay Traffic?

IcePack
6th Jan 2010, 22:15
I hear that EGSS were only accepting MayDay diversions for a time today. Streuth things must have been getting out of hand if that is correct. At one point only LHR was open in the south with MAN closed as well.
I wonder what some arrival fuel states looked like. ?

anotherthing
7th Jan 2010, 08:17
more likely they were only accepting emergency traffic...

Llademos
7th Jan 2010, 08:38
I understand that EGSS is running out of de-icing fluid, and one co there is down to 300 litres. If true, I'd avoid the place as once in it's going to be difficult getting out.

I also hear LGW is nil arrivals, two departures an hour (from an hour or so ago so may be wrong). Three BA long haul diversions at STN (frying pan to fire?)

Ll

ManofMan
7th Jan 2010, 10:02
EGCC has only been accepting Emergencies since around the 23rd of December, I understand that BA were begging Manchester to take diversions yesterday but the answer remained the same...no, many of the stands remain un-usable, covered with Ice from where the airport tried to cut costs by using cheaper de-icer which simply froze and has not melted since around the 23rd.

I also understand that more de-icer is needed sooner rather than later and with temperatures dropping to -16oC last night it really hasnt helped...still only going for -14oC tonight so should see improvement soon !!

ab33t
7th Jan 2010, 13:37
Only international emergency flights

akaSylvia
7th Jan 2010, 16:44
Is there a reference I could point to regarding the Manchester de-icing issues? I'm just writing a blog post about the weather (as I'm stuck in Spain due to cancelled flights - not actually heartbroken about this ;) ) and would like to include more info.