PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Still a graphics thing, but more W7

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 21:25
Ah, really nice guy talked me through the getting of W7 drivers. It seems that they are aware that the MS ones are a problem.

They also played 'Take five' to me while I was waiting. So much more soothing than some daft bint screaming into a distortion box.

They said ignore the existng soft, and load over it with an exe file from Nvidia

Here goes!

The rest is academic if you're not wanting a graphics card.

I was pleased to find a BFG GeForce 7300 GT at a local store for $45, but the install is not happening.

Started with the new card in and W7 loaded a driver for it with no by-your-leave, or warning. Well, Keef and I both said we were rather impressed with such a service, but I DIDN'T WANT IT!!

(not so much shouting as sobbing.:{)

Anyway, it was useless. Any attempt to get more than 70 Hz refresh gave a screen that was whitewashed and almost impossible to see my way back. Not too bad on 1024 X 768 70hz. but not as good as the low spec card that came out.

Any attempt to scrap the old drivers require a re-boot. Fair enough, but then the MS driver is installed before I can do anything. Scrap it in Devices, with the remove drivers box ticked. No help. Nvidia is not fooled and demands an uninstall, and round we go again.

In the mean time all control of the graphics section is lost. Just daft things like Default monitor, and Use hardware default setting. No other options to choose from.

I've been installing hi end graphics cards for years, I even sold the Cambridge Computer graphics over here until they went broke. Never have I lost control of software like this.

mad_jock
6th Jan 2010, 21:33
I do feel for you.

Personally I would at this point remove the hard disks you currently have in it. Stick a new one in and install an OS. Mirror it onto another disk of some form and then start fiddling again.

When it all goes wrong at least it only takes 10 mins to get back to a fresh starting point again.

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 21:41
You beat me to it. See me edit above.

Recover seems to work well.

Another nice thing is the guy said that it has a lifetime warranty based on my number. Total support.

green granite
6th Jan 2010, 21:43
You only need 60Hz refresh rate for a LCD monitor (my 24" in fact runs at 59Hz) My res is 1920*1200 which is it's native res

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2010, 22:29
Understood.

I'm trying to swap between the tube at 1024 and at least 75 hz, and the 1920 at 60. I can see a flicker at 60 on the LCD, but only just. But then, I could read the small labels on a DC 3 prop when it was ticking over.

Anyway, the 108 mb file downloaded okay, but the install balked with the recogntion that there were drivers installed. :ugh: Square one. BUT, I took it at its word, and re booted. The MS driver were there of course, but now the setup exe file ran faultlessly. All control of the Display menus is back to normal, and Nvidia rather than MS reports in that box as well as Devices.

Picture seems okay at 1280 as well. Now for the 24" and the DVI connection.

FIRST I must reduce the refresh to 60hz OR THE SAMSUNG WILL NOT SHOW ANYTHING. NOT EVEN MENU. The guy in the store said it must be faulty. I'll find out myself, given that he also thought it would make toast.

Apologies to Jasper Carrot and Curry's

I'll blog on later for thems interested.

Loose rivets
10th Jan 2010, 19:59
I have a few more hours to decide whether to keep this monitor. I have mixed feelings. Very good for photos and Google Earth etc, but no use whatsoever for word processing. Certain functions that would be nice with two pages open side by side, don't work in that mode.

Don't want to part with it, but don't totally like it. (there's a bloke with a Nikon D90 unused, $650 It's a steal, but can't keep buying all these toys. But, if I take the monitor back, I can't see the photies from the D90 properly. Ahhhh, for infinite wealth.)

Mastering the card has been difficult. Things like Task manager would suddenly start flying off the side of the screen when selected. Picking the item on the task-bar would cause it to fly from the side to the thumbnail, but never let you see it. The guy from Nvidia said reload the driver. I did, and all is back to 'slightly abnormal'.:rolleyes:

My 14 days trial period is nearly up.