PDA

View Full Version : Do I need A levels?

Jakeweb17
6th Jan 2010, 21:10
I was wondering, once an ATPL is achieved, are A levels required to be employed by an airline?

Airbus Girl
6th Jan 2010, 22:01
No. Although BA used to require A levels. For most airlines if you have an ATPL they are not too worried about other qualifications.

UniFlyBoy
31st Jan 2010, 22:16
On the other hand some people will tell you you need a degree. Do not fall for it. Other things count for more. I found out the hard way.

davidjohnson6
1st Feb 2010, 00:13
Jakeweb - you may well find an airline which will take you on with GCSEs and an ATPL, offering you your first job.

You may also find that in 10 years time when you are looking for a better job - perhaps at a large network carrier - that attitudes to education in the UK have changed, particularly when the minimum UK school age will have long been raised to 17 or 18. There will be a lot of other candidates for any future job who do have A-Levels while you don't. Not having A-Levels is not a complete barrier - but it may well make others more sceptical as to why you should rise up the career ladder when others are passed over.

Raising of school leaving age in England and Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_school_leaving_age_in_England_and_Wales#21st_cent ury)

Cloud Bunny
4th Feb 2010, 15:17
Do I need A levels?

Yes. No job is secure and and when times get hard in the World economy Airlines are hit hard. Get as well qualified as you possibly can be. A-Levels, Degree, the works. You never know when you'll need them. I know guys who have CPL/IR's and have never found that first job and have fallen back on educational qualifications to get good jobs in other industries (they're all paid better than me:{). What happens if you fail a medical? What happens if you don't get through the training?
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. It may work out perfectly but there is always a risk that it will bite you in the arse and you'll wish you were able to fill out the box that says "A-Levels" on an application form.
As for A-Levels for the ATPLs. Well, not strictly but you will find that it will stand you in good stead. Even if you don't do 'traditional' flying subjects (I have Physics, English and Biology) the ability to learn (and pass exams) at that level will help greatly with the ATPLs - they're bloody hard work.

Malaysian28
4th Feb 2010, 19:49
What about National Diplomas (BTEC)?

StudentPilot21
4th Feb 2010, 20:13
I know of airline pilots who just have ATPL's and no A-levels. All airlines care about is how well you have done in the ground exams. BTEC is A-Level equivalent so what ever you prefer to do.