PDA

View Full Version : Weather Affected Airports

transwede
6th Jan 2010, 09:06
So the snow is hammering down on us and airports all round the UK are getting affected. Can we all post a info on closures, diversions (where to if possible) so we can see the full affect on UK airlines and airports.

LGW snow closed until lunchtime, 4 BA 777 diverted to AMS and CDG.

NCL/BHX/MAN/EMA/GLA/EDI all appear to be open at the minute and accepting some diversions.

compton3bravo
6th Jan 2010, 09:17
Luton just taken five diversions from London Stansted.

Bagso
6th Jan 2010, 09:32
Sadly Manchester not accepting anything. was overwhelemed with until 1500yesterday but is still clearing stands.....see CFMU Notam.

transwede
6th Jan 2010, 09:35
So how what diversions have taken place so far then that we know of?

A VS Vegas flight is currently in PIK - a long way from LGW!
4F diverted their BJL into EMA.

Luckily NCL (my local) still ok, though snowing again lightly!

In terms of long haul arrivals, what happens when the UK becomes overwhelmed...where do they go?

Suzeman
6th Jan 2010, 09:38
Posted at 1006 Weds

So the snow is hammering down on us and airports all round the UK are getting affected.

Ah yes - snow in the SE UK- world comes to a halt

Many airports "oop North" and in Scotland have been affected since yesterday and in some cases even earlier than that.

Nice sunny day in MAN today :ok:

Suzeman

Playamar2
6th Jan 2010, 10:52
Diversions all were due LGW- at least 3 BAW 777s to Schipol and 1 to CDG. Mexicana & Emirates to BHX and USA 330 to GLA.

air2000dub
6th Jan 2010, 11:00
EXT/PLH and CWL closed at the moment along with Bristol.

BFS/BHD
6th Jan 2010, 11:32
BHD snow closed until at least 1300. Been closed since 1130.

sam dilly
6th Jan 2010, 12:56
Rochester (EGTO) is shut until further notice.

racedo
6th Jan 2010, 13:36
Mate flying Mexicana tomorrow and he originally from Coventry, staying over in Surrey close to LGW and he not impressed if he has to go from BHX especially as his mum gave him lots of grief about how he could have stayed home with them a bit longer.

ericlday
6th Jan 2010, 14:28
Weather update Wednesday 6th January at 14.45

London Luton Airport is now closed until 16.30 this afternoon in order to clear snow. Message from Airport website.

ManofMan
6th Jan 2010, 15:08
EGLL now down to single runway ops.

raffele
6th Jan 2010, 15:59
Luckily NCL (my local) still ok, though snowing again lightly!

Has NCL actually shut at all during all this snow? I've not heard or read anywhere that it had. I don't know what the weather was like up at Woolsington, but being in Yorkshire I know how bad it's been the past few weeks in the NE

compton3bravo
6th Jan 2010, 16:03
Luton now back open 16.55.

Earlyriser
6th Jan 2010, 16:09
Raffele,

NCL was closed last night to clear the snow! NCL Reopened at 9am this morning and has been open all day since. Allot of domestic flights are subject to delays but from the looks of it NCL is operating normally. Snowing on and off most of the day throughout the area.

Nicholas49
6th Jan 2010, 19:47
Forgive the naive question, but could someone explain why four BA 777s en route to Gatwick would opt to divert to Schipol/Charles de Gaulle rather than an alternate UK airport such as Heathrow? Is it simply that LHR is too busy for diversions? Would have thought it would easier from a re-positioning crew/hours point of view as it's a company base...?

Sikpupi
6th Jan 2010, 20:19
Excuse my ignorance...but is there a 'spotters' site that gives the movements etc etc of flights and their airports and current status????

What is that the CMFU system I have heard about....?? Is it a FREE site??? Anyone got the link to same???

Ta

Avman
6th Jan 2010, 21:11
Nicholas49, these a/c may have opted (possibly at the request of ops) to divert en route before actually reaching Gatwick. Multiple possible reasons for this. Additionally, when several major airports are closed those remaining open may be limited to the number of diversions they can take (not necessarily because of ramp space but also ground handling constraints. There may also be considerable holding time before an approach can be made. If the route the a/c concerned were flying took them over or close to AMS/CDG, ops may have elected to avoid any problems by simply diverting to a suitable airport en-route.

racedo
7th Jan 2010, 10:52
Had a call from mate flying with Mexicana from LGW.

Checkin was excellent, arriving airport was 12 minutes late coming in or ontime as i look at it and forecast is they expect to leave at or close to scheduled time (at this present moment in time).

Mate indicated that Easyjet seem to have massive queues in the airport with it seemingly moving very slowly.

purplehelmet
7th Jan 2010, 18:56
anyone know if any airports snoclo this evening?

Gulf4uk
7th Jan 2010, 19:38
Farnborough Reopened at 1300z today 07/01/2010 Closed all day 6TH

Tony