PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down Screen

lonkmu
5th Jan 2010, 15:48
Hi

My 7 year old son was attempting to play a game on my laptop but somehow he has clicked some sort of settings button and the whole screen is now upside down

ie Start button on the top right of the screen and all icons upside down

Does anybody know how to revert it to the correct way up?

I have tried desktop settings, control panel etc with no success

Many thanks
KM

Capetonian
5th Jan 2010, 15:59
You could stand on your head, or move to Australia!

Have you tried a reboot, or a system restore?

There is a CTRL + ALT + arrow key sequence which may work and which is probably what your son inadvertently did whilst playing. However I've tried that on mine, running XP, and it doesn't change anything, but I would suspect in your case that it will.

Failing that you may have to go the the graphics drivers settings and do a reset to default.

My graphics is NVIDIA display on the control panel, and if I go into that control panel one of the options is 'rotate display'. The default is no rotation and the last option is 180' rotation, which would solve your problem.

It worked for me : nwod edispu won si neercs yM.

Tone
5th Jan 2010, 16:03
Curtesy of the 'Excel Addict', a wonderful source of info about all matters Excel - and other things too.

Hanging Your Monitor From The Ceiling (XL2000-XL2007)

I received an email from David this past week that made me laugh. In following the instructions in one of my tips, instead of pressing CTRL+SHIFT+<arrow key>, David accidentally pressed the ALT key instead of the SHIFT key with surprising results.
The following may or may not work for you, depending on whether Hotkeys are enabled for your monitor display (right click the graphics card icon in your system tray to check).
When you press CTRL+ALT+<down arrow>, your monitor display flips upside down. Now this surely will come in handy if you ever need to hang your monitor from the ceiling. ;-)
Pressing either the left or right arrow keys along with the CTRL and ALT keys will flip your display on its side.
To get things back to normal press CTRL+ALT +<up arrow>.
Now, I know what you're thinking..... Practical Joke!

Imagine the look on your co-workers face when they come back to their computer and see that their display has flipped upside down.
Please understand, I'm not condoning this behaviour. I must warn you to carefully consider the consequences before pulling a prank like this. And especially, DON'T FORGET THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO RESTORE THE DISPLAY or the joke (or something worse) may be on you.

Edited to include the link to his page.
Get Help with Microsoft Excel Tips, Excel Tutorials from a Spreadsheet Addict (http://www.theexceladdict.com/)

Saab Dastard
5th Jan 2010, 16:07
It would be helpful to mention the make and model of the laptop, and the OS you are using.

It's probably laptop specific, either a "hardware" feature with a button / function key sequence or a software app e.g. in the system tray - to rotate the screen display - so RTFM (pardon the French).

SD

lonkmu
5th Jan 2010, 16:30
Thanks a ton

Cntrl, Alt and up arrow worked perfectly

Just as well as I had a serious crick in my neck after 1/2 an hour...........

I did try restarting first by the way and that did not work

all the best
KM