PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a decent business travel insurance policy?

Final 3 Greens
5th Jan 2010, 09:47
It's that time of year again and I will soon have to purchase travel insurance for the next 12 months.

The renewal proposal from my current company now only includes cover for problems on outbound travel (suggesting that it is really holiday insurance) and not for the whole trip. This does not meet my needs.

Just wondering if anyone has a decent policy and if their could steer me to thei company.

Any responses will be much appreciated :ok:

strake
5th Jan 2010, 10:47
Try a Platinum Amex card. £300 per year and one of the most comprehensive travel insurance products comes with it. Also, free additional cards with similar travel cover. Many other benefits such as lounge access etc etc..

https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/uk/FrontServlet?request_type=ProtectionHome

ConstantFlyer
5th Jan 2010, 14:05
I can recommend WEXAS.

Final 3 Greens
5th Jan 2010, 15:29
Thanks Strake and ConstantFlyer, these both look like good options.

Re: Amex, £300 in the UK, 550€ in Malta - for once the UK cannot be accused of being 'rip off Britain!'

Capetonian
5th Jan 2010, 15:45
I have an annual policy through : Insurance Brokers, Commercial Insurance, Business Insurance and Home Travel Insurance - Higos - Travel Insurance (http://www.higos.co.uk/travel-insurance). It was originally a Perry Gamble policy and has suited my requirements.

F3G I've PM'd you with full details.

strake
5th Jan 2010, 19:20
F3G, You're welcome.

For some background, I've been an Amex holder since 1981 and like BA, there are times when I have been a little frustrated with service. However, when it matters, they've come through with flying colours. A few years ago, we were on holiday in Singapore off the back of a business trip. I suffered a leg injury which left me in intense pain. The short story is that I was taken to hospital, morphined up, had an incredible amout of tests done over two weeks and was eventually medivac'd back to the UK, Club with BA and a personal doctor. The bill came to £18,000. Amex not only paid up direct to the hospital but managed the whole crisis from their emergency centre from day one. I hadn't even used the card to book the trip.
Add to that, completely free car hire insurance (you know, all those funny insurances, LDW, PDW, CDW, LBW.....just say "no" when the rental agency asks), retail insurance, priorty club access, membership miles, discount air tickets and hotels and much more and it really does add up to a fantastic package for £300.
I know I sound like a salesman for Amex but my God, how often on this board do we complain about poor service? So, praise where praise is due.

Final 3 Greens
5th Jan 2010, 21:01
Capetonian

Many thanks indeed.

PAXboy
5th Jan 2010, 21:11
Strake, I've not had to use my AmEx Platinum medical for anything like as severe an event but confirm they have always paid for emergency dental repairs whilst away and when delayed in the USA by the big power failure of 2003, they paid out the maximum that the policy stated. So this is also going to be an advert but I have had excellent service since 1984.

Before I was Platinum, I used the regular AmEx annual travel insurance through the Green and then Gold cards. I also like the extra cards (at zero cost). F3G, this is one to investigate, you can give another Platinum card to your spouse/partner and they gain ALL the benefits but the card costs no extra. You can also give free cards on the account to say, a parent that might need to make an emergency payment. I did this for my father in his retirement, in case he needed a hotel or something at short notice. Also, they give you TWO cards, one is called the 'Alternative' card and can be used for biz expenses and these are all itemised on a separate page of the statement for easy reckoning.

Yes, you do get Priority Pass (as does the spouse/partner card holder) and I export my 'Membership Rewards' points to my VS account. I reckon the cost high but good value. As it covers me for multiple trips worldwide (other than skiing/climbing sort of thing) and has never let me down. Lastly, I can get local cash of Trav Chqs in just about any country.

I also concur that AmEx have lost service 'edge' in the past decade but no more than any other company that has to make savings. For once, the premium paid DOES deliver.

FairlieFlyer
7th Jan 2010, 10:51
Same here for Amex Platinum - been a member for some years now and always found the cost very good value compared to specific Insurance policies plus benefits of priority pass, airmiles and the supplementary cards/coverage - And they always have paid out

Word of warning if you have supplementary holders outside your country of residence, you need to formally advise them of this up front (and not when you make the claim) -

As price reference this is HKD5500 pa in Hong Kong (@GBP450)