PDA

View Full Version : UK Ferry Pilot Down

debiassi
4th Jan 2010, 20:07
Breaking news, looks like a UK ferry pilot has gone down shortly after departing Bangor Maine KBGR en route to Russia via Goose Bay and Iceland. The aircraft left independance factory last week and sat the weekend out in Bangor awaiting more favourable weather. Shortly after leaving Bangor earlier today, the pilot reported picking up ice and looked like he was trying to make it back to Bangor but went down about 20 miles short into a side channel. The name hasnt been released yet but it was definately a UK pilot who was delivering to a flying school in St Petersburg.

ferrydude
4th Jan 2010, 21:30
WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | Searchers find missing plane (http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=112961&catid=2)

keebird
5th Jan 2010, 03:48
FlightAware > N5118J (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5118J)

onetrack
5th Jan 2010, 04:00
Wouldn't you expect - that a pilot aged 78 - would have had more sense than to try a heavily fuelled ferry flight in Winter, in extreme conditions, in a light plane, without de-icing? Maybe he was desperate for a quid? The comment by 'lowflyingcessna' on the newssite says it all. I think this pilot probably deserves a mention in the Darwin awards for 2010.

A2B Ferry
5th Jan 2010, 08:38
British pilot dies in US plane crash - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6935146/British-pilot-dies-in-US-plane-crash.html)

It is always sad when someone loses their life. Unfortunately in this industry, there is usually the ultimate price to pay for making a bad decision. The ferry tanks were actually topped off in Bangor KBGR and the aircraft filed for 9000 as there was a pirep reporting cloud tops at 6000 but the info from nav Canada showed cloud all the wat to 12000 with light to mederate mixed icing. Its easy to make judgement from the warmth of an office chair but looks like the plane was doomed before departure. Thise things just wont climb when 30% over gross max and to try and climb through icing conditions without at least a turbo and a hot prop was always going to be a struggle.
RIP James, every ferry pilots thoughts are with you and then some.

BoeingMEL
5th Jan 2010, 09:22
..RIP James. I'll bet that 43 minute flight seemed like the longest 43 minutes of his (long) life. So sad. So avoidable. bm

cleo
5th Jan 2010, 09:47
Sad to learn Jim's fate. RIP
He was experienced ferry pilot and will be missed

lear60fellow
5th Jan 2010, 09:51
I remember once building ice like sh..t in a turboprop in an unexpected situation where there was no report of icing, we had to make an emergency land with a ton of ice stuck on the belly and under the wings, the worst 20 minutes of my life. I hate to fly on the ****osphere.

9gmax
5th Jan 2010, 09:58
Found this on the net.....

78 year old James Beaton from Wales, UK died when ferrying Cessna from US to Russia...

WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | State police recover body of pilot from plane wreckage (http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=112961&catid=2)

Crash near Olamon kills pilot - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/134028.html)

Mods: feel free to move topic to correct Forum...tks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jan 2010, 11:00
78 years old, ferrying an aircraft from the US-Russia. Is it common practice for companies to employ pilots of that age? In the unlikely event that I ever reach 78 I shall want to keep my feet on the ground!

ab33t
5th Jan 2010, 11:10
78 years old, loads of experience to be caught out like that . Sad RIP

ben.glaze
5th Jan 2010, 14:35
Hello,

I am trying to find out more about Jim and where his family live in Wales, UK.

Please can anyone help me?

Thanks

Pace
5th Jan 2010, 15:12
Ben

I have PMd you those basic details in response to your PM to me but I have to say someone coming into this forum with one post who represents the media and whos sole interest is a story wont go down to well here.

Others should be aware of that intent in other information requests factual or guessed.

Pace

keebird
5th Jan 2010, 18:02
Preliminary accident data. (http://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/preliminary_data/media/B_0105_N.txt)

Martin Barnes
5th Jan 2010, 19:03
Many years ago as a much younger man in 1979 I walked into a flight school in staverton uk and met Jim Beaton the man who taught me to fly ,17500hrs ago. I am deeply saddened at his passing. Jim was the king of the scud runners who flew by the seat of his pants with handling skills you dont see much of these days. I quess if you fly for long enough in the hard world of GA and ferrying you will sooner or later find yourself in a situation from which you may not escape. I have been to the edge on a few occasions and survived due to the great training and experiance I gained flying with the legend which was Jim Beaton. It is important to note that Jims decision to fly was his own, he did not take anyone else with him. RIP old buddy.

If anyone knows where/when his funeral will be please PM me.

Mooneyboy
5th Jan 2010, 20:41
Very sad to hear the tragic news of Jims death.

Jim instructed me during my PPL and he was always a great instructor to have, a real stick and rudder pilot who had an enormous passion for flying. His great stories and enthusiasm for flying will be sorely missed.

Mooneyboy.

Pace
5th Jan 2010, 21:17
Martin

I have PMd you! Jim even at 78 was like a man 20 years younger with a amazing enthusiasm for flying and life.

A kinder more colourful or more genuine guy you would not find. I believe at his age of 78 he did 30 plus ferries in the last couple of years in stuff I would not dream of Ferrying or have the courage to ferry.

He loved those trips and his attitude to warnings was "if thats the way I am supposed to go so be it!".

I have lost a good friend and an inspiration in more than just flying.

Pace

lawrencepa28
6th Jan 2010, 11:28
Hi Martin

Long time no speak. Saw your note re Jimmy Beaton - who was a true and good friend to me. I spoke to Maureen this morning. I can let you know when the funeral is as soon as I know. He is still in the US.

If you want to get in touch, my mobile is 07979 853263 Landline 01452 613175 email: [email protected] (I have had that since Staverton days!)

Talk to you soon

Best Wishes

Kevin Lawrence

lawrencepa28
9th Jan 2010, 08:18
I am an old friend of Jim's and have his details. Can I suggest you drop me a note - just confirming you are not another reporter etc? Use [email protected], if you will, as it is always on...

Kind Regards
Kevin

yankee papa
10th Jan 2010, 15:10
Jim Beaton was the CFI at Glasgow Flying Club in the 60's when I got my PPL. He sent me on my first solo.

He was a great aviator and example to all his students.

I remember him talking about diverting to West Freugh in a PA 28 in heavy icing at night. He made it seem so 'normal'

Another time the canopy flew off the aircraft (Tipsy Nipper) and struck the tailplaine. Jim force landed in a field - no problem.

So sorry to hear of his death.

YP

Sygyzy
10th Jan 2010, 19:58
The ref to the Glasgow Flying Club reminds me that Jim was a champion waterskier in his youth. The fact that he hadn't learned to swim never deterred him in his chosen sport.

I met Jim in the early '70's when we were both associated with the Lake Amphibian in Glasgow, a 'gentle'man with a passion for flying.

Not the way most of us would choose to go but do you ever get a choice.

RIP old chum.

andyfrench
12th Jan 2010, 12:44
Like many I knew Jim from my early flying days at Staverton, flew with him a number of times, always enjoyed his company. RIP Jim.

Pace
12th Jan 2010, 19:43
Jims wife is going out to the USA with her daughter. Jim will be cremated there and his ashes will be in their care.

It was their intention to then fly to Glasgow and have a service and celebration of his life but Maureen his wife has decided to postpone this part till the early spring.

Her daughter lives in France so they will both go there for a few weeks.

With the bad weather Maureen feels that she would rather organise a celebration of his life and scattering of his ashes up in Scotland at a later date and asked me to post this fact here.

Pace

cleo
13th Jan 2010, 12:27
Thank you Pace.

Please keep us posted with any further information.

A2B Ferry
19th Jan 2010, 09:20
Here are te NTSB's preliminary findings.

NTSB Identification: ERA10LA105
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, January 04, 2010 in Greenbush, ME
Aircraft: CESSNA 172S, registration: N5118J
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On January 4, 2010, at 1153 eastern standard time, a Cessna 172S, N5118J, owned and operated by American King Air Services Inc., was substantially damaged when it impacted the Penobscot River, near Greenbush, Maine. The certificated commercial pilot was killed. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the planned flight to Goose Bay Airport (CYYR), Goose Bay, Newfoundland, Canada. The flight originated from Bangor International Airport (KGBR), Bangor, Maine, about 1130. The ferry flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to preliminary information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the operator intended to ultimately deliver the airplane to a customer in Russia. Additional fuel tanks were installed at KBGR for a flight across the Atlantic Ocean. About 25 miles north of KBGR, while in cruise flight at 5,000 feet mean sea level (msl), the pilot requested a higher altitude due to turbulence. Air traffic control (ATC) cleared the flight to 6,000 feet; however, the airplane began to descend. ATC then instructed the pilot to maintain at least 3,000 feet. The pilot replied that he was trying, and ATC subsequently provided the pilot with a vector to divert to Dewitt Field (KOLD), Old Town, Maine. No further transmissions were received from the accident airplane.

Radar data depicted the accident airplane reverse course toward the direction of KOLD and descend. Additionally, a witness reported that the airplane flew overhead about 100 to 200 feet above ground level (agl), with continuous engine noise, until the sound of impact.

The airplane impacted the Penobscot River near Olamon Island, and was subsequently recovered for further examination by an FAA inspector and a representative from the airplane manufacturer.

The reported weather at KBGR, at 1153, was: wind from 330 degrees at 16 knots, gusting to 20 knots; visibility 2 miles in light snow; ceiling 1,500 feet broken; ceiling 2,500 feet overcast; temperature 2 degrees Celsius; dew point –1 degree Celsius; altimeter 29.36 inches of mercury.

Airmen's meteorological information (AIRMET) Zulu was in effect for the time of the accident. The AIRMET advised of moderate ice below 13,000 feet with the freezing level ranging between the surface and 2,500 feet.

Bob3929
7th May 2010, 12:19
I'm very sad to hear of Jim's death, I was with Jim 21:04:74 when he sent me on my first solo. Jim was a very fine instructor, he will be saddly missed.

Bob

A2B Ferry
12th May 2010, 06:18
I was actually in Bangor last weekend having a ferry tank fitted and the wreckage was in the hangar. It was very sad. I was stuck four days awaiting paperwork so four of us ferry pilots from different companies hired a car and drove out to the crash scene to pay our respects.

MungoP
12th May 2010, 14:44
Having flown the same route in winter around a dozen times or so, with no disrespect to this very accomplished, highly experienced and no doubt extremely capable pilot, just why does someone take off into known moderate icing for an extended flight in an aircraft with such limited capabilities when they can remain safely on the ground waiting for the weather to clear ? I know there are hotel bills to pay and limited earnings ability in this type of work but none of that has any effect on the pure physics of flight....That Wx report didn't even suggest a marginal risk... it was clearly a no go for that a/c.
Morton Thyokol discovered this fact after pressuring their engineers to allow the go-ahead for Challenger.
Sad loss of a well loved man that caused much suffering to family and friends...
We all suffer the pressures to get airborne but suffering is best done on the safety of the ground.
We're all loathed to criticise someone who's paid such a high price for failure but let us at least learn the lesson.

Pace
13th May 2010, 13:47
just why does someone take off into known moderate icing for an extended flight in an aircraft with such limited capabilities

Mungo

Jim was a very good friend so I will not make this a conversation piece.
We all know of the dangers of "get there Itis" which refers to pilots who press on into worsening conditions hoping for an improvement rather than turning back.

There is another threat called "lets have a look Itis". which means maybe the icing isnt as bad as I fear? Maybe I can get on top and stay there? maybe I can find a large layer and stay in between? Add to this "I will have a look and if no good do a 180 and go back".

The problem with that is that maybe the conditions turn out to be so bad that the 180 and go back isnt an option?

So this is a response to your question rather than an opinion on this particular tragedy.

Pace

MungoP
13th May 2010, 16:50
Very sorry at the loss of a friend... over the years I've lost 9 friends in aviation accidents and wondered at the time just why they did this or that... or even attempted the flight. I, like many have been faced with a similar situation to this pilot, not once but dozens of times... My response was to climb while staying in the vicinity of the airfield... If I hadn't reached a clear safe altitude before succumbing to icing problems I'd be in a position to return while able to keep the speed up...
Once again... very sorry for your loss of a friend.

FelixAlberik
15th Aug 2018, 10:13
Mungo

Jim was a very good friend so I will not make this a conversation piece.
We all know of the dangers of "get there Itis" which refers to pilots who press on into worsening conditions hoping for an improvement rather than turning back.

There is another threat called "lets have a look Itis". which means maybe the icing isnt as bad as I fear? Maybe I can get on top and stay there? maybe I can find a large layer and stay in between? Add to this "I will have a look and if no good do a 180 and go back".

The problem with that is that maybe the conditions turn out to be so bad that the 180 and go back isnt an option?

So this is a response to your question rather than an opinion on this particular tragedy.

Pace

Hi,

I'm a documentary maker looking for people working and living around Gloucestershire airport from 1990-2000.
I'm looking for people who've been in contact with following persons : James Beaton, Michael Roberts. This is not
to investigate the crash discussed in this forum but for a documentary about another person who has been active
at the airport at that time.

If anybody could help me with information, you can contact me plz

Felix