PDA

View Full Version : FAA Exam Question! Help and advise pls.

Shiner Pilot
4th Jan 2010, 15:34
Hi
AM sitting the Part 135 ATP exams this month and I can't seem to get my head around a question.
If anyone is using the asa test prep book then you might be able to help me please.
They are questions 8103,8108,8109, 8110.
And 9618, 9632, 9633, 9634.

I just can't get my head around the explanations!

If anyone could help and shine the light into this dull head of mine then I would be very greatfull.

Or if you can let me know of anyone who would tutor me through some of these questions, that would be great too. Happy to spend a few pounds to pass the test.:ok:

Kind regards

SP

ab33t
4th Jan 2010, 17:08
Where are you based?

Shiner Pilot
4th Jan 2010, 18:01
South London

SP

G-SPOTs Lost
4th Jan 2010, 18:24
Why you doing 135 - you planning on flying for a US Charter Operator?, just do the 121, you can do a 135 upgrade exam if you ever get a green card!

Shiner Pilot
4th Jan 2010, 18:29
Well, I've have really only ever been in the Bizjet side, except for flying a Do-328Jet for a little bit and everyone has talked about the Part 135 being the best way forward...

The very few jobs I have seen in the ME and spoken to the CP have asked if I have an FAA licence.
Plus I need to take a check-ride on a CJ or XLS right to get my licence opened or can I do it in a light twin or SEP.

God knows if I could even fly something like that now....

SP

Tinstaafl
4th Jan 2010, 20:06
It makes no difference whether you choose 135 or 121 for your exam. The licence you get will be the same. The choice just lets you focus on an area that might be more pertinent to you if you already operate under those rules.

The flight test ('checkride' in US parlance) can be in any aircraft with a caveat: You will be limited to the category/class combination of the aircraft in which you're tested. To add another category/class you will have to do another ATP flight test.

Category: Fixed wing, rotor wing, lighter-than-air etc
Class (for fixed wing): Multi Engine Land, Multi Engine Sea, Single Engine Land, Single Engine Sea (MEL, MES, SEL, SES respectively)

There is no requirement for it to be in a multi crew type nor above any weight specification. I did my ATPL-MEL in a Duchess in the mid '90s, and in '04 a combined ATP-SEL/SES in an amphibian C180 with alightings & landings to meet the Practical Test Standard (PTS). The amphib. meant I 'only' did a single checkrides for two licences (SEL & SES).

Only a single ATP exam though - the one I did for the original ATP-MEL in '90s. For information I did the 121 version. Very simple overall. No sectorised fuel planning (a single FF for cruise), simple W&B and the like. The most difficult part was remembering the vis. limits in feet & statute miles related to the various types of lighting & approaches used in the US.

Buy a copy of the PTS! There's one published for every checkride. It lists exactly what must be covered in the flight + what may be included + what exemptions may be applied. For the ATP it will be 2 x precision approaches (ILS usually), 2 x non-precision such as NDB, VOR, G PS, LOC or one or two others. Any combination is allowed so no mandatory RMI/RBI based procedure. Also stalls, steep turns, landings/take-offs & engine failures (asymmetric or forced landing, as appropriate) during certain phases of flight.

ab33t
5th Jan 2010, 14:40
Drop me a pm

Check 6
7th Jan 2010, 05:49
Tinstaafl is correct. You can take either the ATP 121 written or the 135 written - your choice. The results are the same, i.e. you have passed the ATP written.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
7th Jan 2010, 07:23
Buy the Dauntless program from the net. It is exactly in the format you will get on the computer during your FAA test, and the questions are the same with all explanations and workings. It costs around USD35.00 and if you can pass that you will sail through the FAA exam. You can do it in about 3 days.

FAA Written Test Preparation Software (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/GroundSchool/)

Wooblah.

Shiner Pilot
15th Jan 2010, 00:28
Captain Wooblah

Many thanks

Shiner Pilot

Shiner Pilot
19th Jan 2010, 18:04
Passed!

Thanks everybody for your help.

SP

Tinstaafl
20th Jan 2010, 16:00
Good for you! Which version did you decide to sit?

Shiner Pilot
21st Jan 2010, 21:11
Part 135. Used the Dauntless program for the last 2-4 days as well as the asa book.

passed it with a good score. So am happy. On to the check-ride now.

All the ebst

SP

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
24th Jan 2010, 14:01
Hi Shiner,

Well done. What did you think of the Dauntless program, a mate of mine recommended it, he said it was great. Anyway, good luck on your check ride and happy landings.

Wooblah.

lk978
24th Jan 2010, 23:50
go to www.allatp.com (http://www.allatp.com) do one of their 1 day courses and you will pass no worries.... I did it after a 14 hour flight and with a hangover, 4 hours prep in the room and sat the exam no worries.

pm me if you want the details of the place i did it at it is in california

Shiner Pilot
3rd Feb 2010, 03:03
Just started using the Ready Ride software for the oral exam, just as good.

In Texas now hunting around for someone to do the ride with.

SP

Shiner Pilot
2nd Mar 2010, 22:13
Went to ATP in Houston, took the ATP check-ride today and passed.

Thanks everybody for your help.

SP

Nemanja
23rd Aug 2010, 22:37
Anyone who has some crack for the Dauntless ground school software, maybe?

;)