PDA

View Full Version : General Question about smaller Cargo operators?

MAXTHRUSTV1
4th Jan 2010, 11:33
What sort of cargo do the smaller companies like Benair, HDair and Janes aviation transport? Who are there main customers because i just cant work out how they can compete against the bigger players TNT, Fedex etc?

Thanks

MAX

ScootCargoOps
4th Jan 2010, 13:06
Sometimes the larger players will use the small cargo outfits to transport there own cargo when a route isn’t sufficient for them to operate themselves.

A small outfit could be even carrying cargo for Fedex / UPS / TNT on the same plane because the integrators won’t use each others capacity but it’s ok to use a third party.

They could also be carrying mail etc. for the postal services.

AircraftOperations
4th Jan 2010, 16:44
And many will try to supplement any scheduled cargo runs with charter income when they can squeeze the flights in.
Of course, many smaller operators rely solely on charter income... only occasionally getting scheduled work when market conditions or AOG requires them.

mikehammer
4th Jan 2010, 16:52
Benair transport mail in Scotland and that's it. There is an operation in Norway, but I don't know what they fly there. Several of my pals have just been sacked by Benair and offered contracts with a different company on much reduced terms and conditions, so I wouldn't go looking for a job. They don't sound like the kindest of employers, but then again, who does?

Rogue
5th Jan 2010, 11:08
Who have your pals been offered the new contracts with?

MAXTHRUSTV1
5th Jan 2010, 11:15
Thanks for the info guys and putting me in the picture of what they do!

Cheers

MAX