PDA

View Full Version : Al Maktoum International Airport

MUFC_fan
3rd Jan 2010, 19:18
This airport is due to open this coming year.

Does anyone know which airlines will move over/start services from the new mega-hub in Dubai? Obviously it will include Emirates and most likely flyDubai.

Also, why operate two airports - will they really be able to attract nearly 200m passengers at full capacity either O&D or transit?!

:bored:

TSR2
3rd Jan 2010, 22:42
My understanding is that the new airport at Jebel Ali will initially serve foreign airlines only. Emirates to remain at Dubai International. Apparently, all will be revealed this month as to which specific airlines will move.

Tower Ranger
4th Jan 2010, 06:13
None of the Airlines want to move as the infrastructure is still pretty basic. It could well turn out to be "Soft"opened in June and then mothballed for a while but who is gonna admit to that in this part of the world.

Dubaian
4th Jan 2010, 06:22
Without a rail / metro link between them, it would be very difficult to operate 2 Dubai International airports satisfactorily for inter-line transit passengers. And the proposed metro line has not even been started yet. In fact, not even contracted.
Road connections are totally inadequate.
I've also heard that EK intend to stay behind where they are now for many years.
My guess is that the opening of the new one will be delayed again - and that it will be a very long time before it eventually builds to anything like the mega-hub it was intended to be.

Capetonian
4th Jan 2010, 06:23
Last time I was in DXB I heard that there was a plan to build a tunnel to link the 2 airports. That sounds unlikely but possible, specially in Dubai where the unreal seems to happen with regularity.

Then I was told that the tunnel would be for aircraft to reposition between the two airports. That sounds like science fiction! Does anyone know about this.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jan 2010, 09:22
The same guys who built the Burj, which has a very very soft opening today, and a real opening in 2012, will announce the project.

Like the Metro, it will be restricted, to those aircraft with only 1 cargo crate, and not until 2pm on fridays.

As an aside, the vast number of corporate aircraft would love to reposition to gain hangerage, which the new airport will provide.

have fun up there today.

glf