PDA

View Full Version : pilots license

scousefowler
3rd Jan 2010, 10:58
hello

i was just curious to know roughly how much it would cost to gain my private pilots license for fixed wing aircraft.
just a ball park figure, any information would be gratefull.

thanks in advance

Shunter
3rd Jan 2010, 11:01
Best part of £8k. That's a ballpark figure for passing in 50hrs, including all the kit you'll need, exams and test fees etc. That assumes learning in something cheap like a 152.

Ryan5252
3rd Jan 2010, 11:34
You will find more of a response to PPL queries in the Private Flying section I would think.

Good Luck with your training! :ok:

The Heff
3rd Jan 2010, 14:00
I would estimate £6,000; assuming that you pass in little over forty-five hours, train in something cheap (ie Cessna 152), pass all your exams first-time and improvise with some creative ingenuity for some of the other accessories.

For example, cut corners on expensive training aids by borrowing from the local library! You can probably do away with purchasing a flash knee-board by using a clipboard from the local stationary shop as well.

Rod1
3rd Jan 2010, 14:03
You could save a lot of cash if you learn on a 3 axis micro (NPPL).

Rod1

julian_storey
3rd Jan 2010, 14:08
Start ringing around some flying schools :ok:

AlphaMale
7th Jan 2010, 14:29
Lets see ...

45hrs (Duel i.e. inc instructor fee) @ £130 / £140 = £5,850 / £6,300
10 Away landing fees @ around £12 = £120
7 PPL Exams @ £30each = £210
Examiner Fee (Radio Test) = £100
Class 2 medical = £160
PPL Books = £60
PPL Confuser = £30
Log Book = £10
Map = £15
Ruler = £5
Protractor = £5
CRP1/CRP5 = £45
Knee board = £15
Pens & Pencils = £3

Plane hire for 2.5hr test @ £110hr = £275
Examiner Fee (Skills Test) = £150
Licence issue (CAA) = £160

Then you might want to add in some cash for a coffees and bacon butties for you and your instructor on the away trips.

Cost of getting to and from your strip will vary, I make a 100mile round trip to my school.in a VW 1.9TDi at 55mpg.

So I guess £7,500 is a realistic figure for 45hrs but I think the average PPL student passes between 55hrs to 60hrs. I imagine there is nothing worse that flying 50hrs then giving up/delaying due to a lack of funds. So I'll agree with 'Shunter' £8k should see you through to gaining your PPL.

Good luck ... it's worth every penny :ok:

mcgoo
7th Jan 2010, 17:06
Or go to the states and do it for about 5-6k.

Shunter
7th Jan 2010, 20:41
The states isn't the bargain it once was. By the time you've paid for flights, had a trip to London to get a visa, had your ringpiece inspected by TSA several times and done your PPL at one of the JAA establishments in Flo-Rida (who have extremely mixed reviews), there probably isn't much in it.

Fright Level
7th Jan 2010, 23:05
You'll need to do it in the USA if you want a private pilots license :}

Lasiorhinus
8th Jan 2010, 02:34
America only issue Pilots Certificates, not licenses...

englishal
8th Jan 2010, 07:30
The states isn't the bargain it once was. By the time you've paid for flights, had a trip to London to get a visa, had your ringpiece inspected by TSA several times and done your PPL at one of the JAA establishments in Flo-Rida (who have extremely mixed reviews), there probably isn't much in it.
Avoid the JAA places and there is a lot of difference. Even taking into account flights and hotel, you can shave £3-4000 off the price of a PPL.

Shunter
8th Jan 2010, 17:25
Yes, if FAA certification suits your needs, you're prepared to jump through the hoops and you can get a chunk of time off work to get over there. I've flown quite a lot in the USA myself, so not exactly a stranger. For most people the hassle involved becomes prohibitive, and if you don't happen to be one of those shandy-drinking types who live in the South East the trips around the country for embassy appointments, fingerprints, LaserGrade exams etc can be quite a bind.

XAirFalcon1
8th Jan 2010, 19:03
Whilst talking about Liceces, does anyone know if the UK NPPL (SSEA) is an NVQ level 2, 3 or 4 award?

Thanks

Lister Noble
8th Jan 2010, 19:46
says it all really,doesn't it?:rolleyes:

XAirFalcon1
8th Jan 2010, 20:49
:) Actually I fly a Skyranger Lister, but the question remains!!:ok:

Whirlygig
8th Jan 2010, 20:56
It doesn't have any NVQ status. NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification and there is nothing vocational about a private licence is there? :}

Cheers

Whirls

joelgarabedian
8th Jan 2010, 21:17
Hi ScouseFowler,

If this link malarkey works, then there's a similar thread here...

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/396722-approx-nppl-ppl-costs.html

I posted a breakdown of my PPL costs there - it's easily the best money I've ever spent :ok: Best of luck!

Joel.

XAirFalcon1
8th Jan 2010, 21:17
Thanks. However the CAA recognise the JAR PPL as being equivalent to an NVQ level 3 award. My question is does anyone know if the NPPL SSEA is recognised as an NVQ level 2, 3 or 4 award. This is linked to the complexity of traqining and not the physical award of an NVQ. Although I suspect not a level 4. I will ask the CAA on Monday but I just thought I would see if anyone on here knew the answer. Seems like not yet!!

Cheers

pulse1
8th Jan 2010, 21:18
NVQ

In the late 90's you could get tax relief for PPL training and beyond if your school was approved for NVQ training. I used it in 1997, aged 58, to revalidate my PPL and continued to claim afterwards to build up hours. It was wonderful, getting the taxman to pay 40% of my flying costs. Sadly, Gordon stopped it shortly afterwards as he claimed that there was not much demand for it.

XAirFalcon1
8th Jan 2010, 21:24
Yeah, this is linked to NVQ comlplexity rather than actual awards. In the Military you can claim up to £2000 in personal development training costs as long as the study or course undertaken, and certain other criteria of course, is at NVQ level 3 and above; that is the reason for my question. :)

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Jan 2010, 21:36
It's still the wrong question.

Unless you just want to get the PPL, tick the box, never fly again, and take up deep sea diving or whatever the next thing is, the question is not "what does it cost to get a licence" (plenty of people could add a one-off £8k to their mortgage without really noticing it) but

"Once I've got the licence, will I be able to afford to keep it up?"

That's much more expensive, being a continuing cost rather than a one-off.