PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re. Cockpit Access

fred_the_red
3rd Jan 2010, 10:17
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding access to the cockpit post 9/11. I understand that the cockpit is totally out of bounds to passengers whilst in flight (shame, but I guess understandable). However, what about when the flight has ended and passengers are getting off?

Let me explain the reason for my question. My family & I just returned from a domestic holiday and were the last people leaving the plane. The cockpit door was open so my son & daughter said "Thank you" to the captain. The captain then invited them in for a quick look around (needless to say being an aviation fanatic I followed too). The captain was fantastic, showing the kids the controls, explaining the different displays and answering their questions.
The (low cost) airline in question often comes in for criticism but we've never encountered any problems with them (famous last words?). I'd really like to write to them formally thanking them, or at least the captain, for inviting us onto the flight deck and being so friendly. However, I don't want to do this if it's not SOP's and could inadvertently end up getting the captain in hot water.

Long winded enough explanation of my dilemma? Essentially, is a captain allowed to invite passengers onto the flight deck?

Thanks in advance.

Fred :)

seneca208
3rd Jan 2010, 11:09
I've never had any problems with a quick visit after landing. I'd imagine there would be no problems with that, but once chocks off, strictly off-limits.

MathFox
3rd Jan 2010, 12:46
In the US the flight deck is off-limits during flight, but it is possible to visit the flight deck when the plane is parked on the ground (during boarding and deplaning.) Regulations are different in other countries and I've heard from passengers that were allowed to visit the cockpit in flight in Europe.

Di_Vosh
3rd Jan 2010, 22:02
G'day Fred,

No-one should get in trouble if you write a letter to the company thanking them for the cockpit visit.

At Qantaslink we often have requests for a visit to the cockpit. Mostly from children, and often now as there are plenty of UM's (Unaccompanied Minors) travelling during the school holidays. As others have posted, we can only do this once the aircraft has come to rest at the end of the flight, and the doors are opened for disembarkation.

We allow these if the time on turnaround permits. And it's curious that even on a 20min turnaround we find the time :ok:

Cheers,

DIVOSH!

Long Haul
3rd Jan 2010, 23:57
A quick letter thanking the captain for the special attention that he or she showed to you and your family would serve the same purpose whether you mention the cockpit visit or not. Very considerate of you, I'm sure that it will be appreciated.