PDA

View Full Version : Facebook emails

mad_jock
2nd Jan 2010, 22:19
Just had 2 arrive reportedly from a friend commenting on a picture.

It was the "happy festive photo's" which gave it away. Cause I don't remember anything festive about getting up at 4 in the morning and doing a 13 hour duty day.

Guess what they contain a very nasty link which you will live to regret clicking on if you are using windows.

Be warned!!!!

Hamrah
3rd Jan 2010, 07:30
I'm getting two or three a day, all purporting to be from Facebook, with " New Security Updates". The embedded Links are very dodgy, to say the least.

Hamrah

Keef
3rd Jan 2010, 09:26
I have a sneaking suspicion the Facebook machine has been hacked. "My daughter" suddenly sent out a batch of advertising for some dodgy site - which is absolutely not her thing! She deleted them all and changed her password, but was not impressed.

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2010, 12:22
Thats what was so sneaky about these emails.

It was set up virtually identical to a normal comment on a photo email.

I have now turned this feature off I might add and added another filter to my email account.

My intial thoughts were you sneaky :mad:ers. Then I bet a few will fall for that one.

I think all but the most brain dead are wise to security updates. But a facebook comment on a photo or you have been tagged in a photo. Most kids are just going to hit the link which is why I broke my normal rule of not commenting about the latest security scare.

Capetonian
3rd Jan 2010, 12:28
Happy New Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from HotmailŪ.

I got this this morning. The link goes here :

www(dot)microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON

It appears from the headers to have come from the genuine email of someone I know.

It might be genuine, but I don't trust it and am not interested in Facebook anyway.