PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating & Hour building Questions PPL (H)

bouncerhal
2nd Jan 2010, 18:05
Hello All,

I hope you all have has fantastic Xmas and New year.

I have few questions in relations to type rating I am wandering if someone help me with.

How many hours do you need to get a Bell 206 type Rating on a PPL?

How many hours do you need to get a type rating on a twin turbine heli such as a BK117, MD902 Expoler or HAL DHRUV?

Can you go direct to twin turbine or do you need to have single turbine rating first?

Also are CPL exams multi choice? like the PPL?

Does the CAA recongise hour building in the middle east such as India? I mean can they be logged on PPL?

and is hour building in USA reconised by the CAA?

I bet most of you by now are thinking why I would like to know, the reason being that I plan to finish my PPL and then go abroad to USA or India to hour build ready for my CPL.

I have a friend in India who flies the Air Aubulance on a HAL DHRUV which is the a twin engine turbine hence the type rating questions, he is offering for me to go over and get temp PPL which will allow me to fly over their and I can fly and log as PIC it is costing me a little but way less then paying for hours on Bell 206.

This is the reason I want know if I can log those hours. If this doesnt work then I would be intrested in get Bell 206 hours in the USA.

I am looking forward to here from some of you, thanks in advance.

GoodGrief
2nd Jan 2010, 18:19
Tell your Indian friend to be very careful with offers like that.

ka26
2nd Jan 2010, 19:03
Hello,

It is possible to add turbine type ratings on your PPL(H).
Type rating Bell 206: 5 hours of training plus 1 hour of check.

I am not sure that it is possible to add a twin engine type rating on private licence. If you don't have already a single turbine rating you have to fly 2 extra hours in order to get ME type rating (8 total multi hours plus 1 hour of check).

I confirm you that the CPL(H) exams are multi choice like the PPL(H).

The CAA should recognise hour building in India as well as in USA.

rotarywise
2nd Jan 2010, 21:20
For a first single pilot, single engine turbine type rating, minimum training is 5 hrs and for subsequent types 2 hrs. For a first single pilot, multi engine turbine type rating, minimum training is 8 hours and for subsequent types 3 hours.

A single turbine type rating is not a pre-requisite for a first ME type rating but you will need at least 70hrs PIC as well as a completion certificate for the pre-entry theoretical knowledge course.

You can hour-build anywhere you like, so long as the aircraft has a certificate of airworthiness issued or accepted by a JAA member state BUT... Are you really expecting to be allowed to fly as PIC of a multi-engine helicopter, on what is presumably a single-pilot, commercial operation, with only a PPL(H), a newly minted type rating and, I take it, limited hours? If your plan is to fly in the LHS with another qualified pilot acting as PIC, the hours will not be accepted for the issue of a CPL(H)

BTW, where in the JAA are you going to find a TRTO with an approved course on the Dhruv?

bouncerhal
2nd Jan 2010, 22:17
Thanks for all you replies, it has put me at ease with CPL being multi choice.

"A single turbine type rating is not a pre-requisite for a first ME type rating but you will need at least 70hrs PIC as well as a completion certificate for the pre-entry theoretical knowledge course"

Rotarywise can I just confirm from the above do you mean I will need a certificate to say I have 70hrs PIC before I can take a ME Type Rating theory?

Also would India fall under JAA member state? The plan is to finish my PPL, Hour build on a R22 until I have approximatley 100hrs in total, then to go India and do a Type Rating on the HAL Dhruv which I will be paying for and then to accompany my friend which the flying will be shared. He has confirmed this with his boss who is a cheif pilot who does not have any problem as long as I have type rating on the aircraft and pay some money towards fuel. ( Or rather to his pocket)

I was hoping this would count towards my CPL as I wont be flying for hire or reward, the aircraft is not being flown for hire or reward ethier just as transport from A to B? I didnt think this would fall under commerical operation unless you can say otherwise as no one is paying for it.

Yes I will have limited hours (100hrs) and mint type rating but the oppertunity is there. HAL Dhruv Single Pilot Multi Engine Heli.

Hopefully I will have approximatley 150hrs when I return and this will bring the total to 250 then I can do my CPL and if I am fincially able to aford it I can return build hours on the HAL Dhruv but earn at the same time.

"Good Grief" what do yo mean, is this too good to be true or am i missing something?

MartinCh
2nd Jan 2010, 22:40
troll or :ugh: case.

'hourbuilding' as PPL PIC on single pilot comm twin turbine ops? C'MON.
JAA and India? Yeah, you made me laugh.
I know things can work in many ways in India, but this offer of yours?
It was first of January, not April.

bouncerhal
3rd Jan 2010, 00:48
MartinCH

I know it sounds to good to be true, but in india if you have the money and the right contacts everything is possible, see for yourself.

Heli-Ice
3rd Jan 2010, 03:08
bouncerhal

Would you care to tell which outfit this is from where you got such a wonderful offer? :cool:

GoodGrief
3rd Jan 2010, 11:20
The Dhruv is a complex aircraft and a massive beast with a 5500kg max take off weight.
The DGCA requires a minimum of 8 hours of training plus 1:30 hours for check rides.That would be for an experienced pilot and most probably not for a 150 hours R22 pilot. No offence.

From your previous posts I take it that you are not loaded.You don't have the money...

The Dhruv should go for about 2 lakh Rupees per hour. Multiply by ten and divide by 46. That gives you the amount in Dollares for the rating.
Ground school not included.

When the media and the DGCA get wind of the stunt you and your friend wil be pulling ( unless you are for real and we're not feeding a troll here), the operator ( Army, Navy, Airforce) and your friend as well will be toast, heads will roll.

MartinCh::ok:

Conclusion: :ugh:

Whirlygig
3rd Jan 2010, 13:42
As far as I am aware, the Dhruv has not achieved certification in Europe and therefore you cannot add such a rating to your JAA licence. Therefore, you would have to get a DGCA India licence and type rating as appropriate.

India is not a JAA member state.

and then to accompany my friend which the flying will be shared.Sounds like you won't really be P1 and therefore it wouldn't count towards to P1 hours for your JAA licence.

But you'd do well to heed GoodGrief's words.

Cheers

Whirls

bouncerhal
3rd Jan 2010, 23:03
Hello

Heli Ice, My friend is a Pilot for Air Aumblance based in Banglore.

Good Greif- Thanks for your input although I was not going ot be paying for all the type rating, i believe the the type would have be on the particular aircraft itself, but I have realised allot of points from this thread which I did not realise before with the exciment. I do not have allot of money but I have a £25,000 loan for my flying.

Although I think it would be good experiance but too much of risk specially if you cannot count the hours.

Many thanks for everyones input greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Scott Diamond
4th Jan 2010, 00:13
An Air Ambulance is a helicopter typically used to transport critically ill and near-death individuals to hospitals & carry crew on board who are being paid to work there (doctors etc).

Not a place for 100hrs on an R22 inexperienced idiots like you to arse around :ugh::ugh:

Keep on dreaming

JTobias
4th Jan 2010, 11:35
Scott

Don't be too hard on the man. All things are possible. I've got a mate who has an Apache which he's said I can borrow this weekend as he's not using it. I've turned him down because it's only got two seats and to be honest I'd prefer to use an R22.

In any case I need to take some passengers so I'm borrowing a Chinook from a mate of mine called Elvis who used to be a rock singer in the 70's but now works at burger king in Norwich.

Joel :}

Need money
4th Jan 2010, 12:39
Ooooh which burger king :}

JTobias
4th Jan 2010, 12:54
Need Money,

Burger King
110-111 Castle Mall
Norwich, NR1 3DD
01603 619 363

Don't tell ANYONE :p

Joel

ShyTorque
4th Jan 2010, 13:26
C'mon chaps, anything is possible.

We all know that in UK you don't necessarily need to be qualified to fly a police helicopter, even for a full night shift, as long as you're a smooth talker.

If you're good enough there's no need to present your licence.

:E

chopjock
4th Jan 2010, 13:56
Well, if I was an operator of a medium twin type, perhaps like a Dhruv in India, and lets say I spent a lot of time single pilot IFR in vmc conditions, and the P2 seat was empty most of the time, say positioning between missions etc, and a baby PPL with little or no experience offered to pay for a type rating in it and qualifies to fly P1, but not for reward, fly all the positioning flights under my supervision, not only for free but to actually pay say £100 an hour as well...
Perhaps not so far fetched after all...

:E incoming.:)

rotarywise
4th Jan 2010, 14:00
Rotarywise can I just confirm from the above do you mean I will need a certificate to say I have 70hrs PIC before I can take a ME Type Rating theory?
No, they are two different requirements. You have to have flown at least 70 hrs PIC before you can start a type rating course for a ME helicopter and you have to have completed an approved pre-entry course that covers the necessary parts of the theoretical knowledge syllabus at ATPL(H) level. You are, of course, exempt from the latter requirement if you have already passed the ATPL(H) exams.

However...

As has already been pointed out, you cannot add a type rating for the Dhruv to your JAA licence as the type is not recognised by EASA and so any authorisation to fly the type will be entirely at the discretion of the Indian DGCA.

And...

Even if you do get authorisation from the DGCA, the UK CAA will not accept any flying that you do unless you can provide evidence that you were nominated as the Pilot in Command for the relevant flight. You cannot claim time spent acting as some kind of 'pilot's assistant' as PIC and the CAA are well versed in all of the dodges.

Edit to add...

chopjock - If he is flying 'under your supervision', he is not PIC and the hours will not count for licence issue. Of course, it would work if he were the nominated PIC and you were a passenger - you up for that?

herman the crab
4th Jan 2010, 16:56
Edit to add...

chopjock - If he is flying 'under your supervision', he is not PIC and the hours will not count for licence issue. Of course, it would work if he were the nominated PIC and you were a passenger - you up for that?

Or it was a CFI/PuT scenario?

HTC