PDA

View Full Version : Aviation in Cameroon

Pudknocker127
2nd Jan 2010, 15:15
Welcome, thank you for reading my post. I'm entertaining the idea of single engine flying in Cameroon either as part of a business in tourism or some other commercial activity part time when I retire. I like the idea of aerial safari flying. I know nothing about aviation in this country, though I am a licensed pilot and aircraft mechanic I haven't a clue what Cameroon may require for personal or commercial flying.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also, are there any good resources for looking up controlled airspace and facilities, airports etc.?

Thank you for your comments.

JTrain
2nd Jan 2010, 17:45
I'd suggest getting informed, first and foremost.

Africa is an EXTREMELY difficult place to do business.

I can imagine when you go to set up shop in Cameroon, they'll be plenty of outstretched hands needing greasing for the numerous regulatory barriers you'll have to overcome - all of which would be quite doable in North America but massive barriers in Africa. Knowing who is legit and who isn't is everything. Expect the regulatory procedures to be pointlessly DAUNTING.

Go visit the place, start in Douala or Yaounde and ask around. Visit Cameroon's aviation authority (whom I know nothing about but distrust due to their inabilities to resolve the 2008 Kenya Airways crash).

Consider getting a job as a pilot in Cameroon before you go set up shop, just to get a feel for the place. Do you really want to spend your golden years there?

As for looking up controlled airspace, facilities, etc.....that is almost the least of your concerns.

Good luck,

JT

Pudknocker127
3rd Jan 2010, 13:22
JT,

I appreciate your response and input. My wife has relatives living in Yaounde and has indicated they may be of help with connecting to the right people. Probably the adventurer is coming out of me with this line of thinking. Retirement here in the US will require continued work, probably teaching into retirement.

While the avg percapita income in Cameroon is $2,300 a year--one could live rather well there on a retirement check. Understanding there are some voids in infrastructure, medical etc...I know there will be inconveniences by many American's standards. And my wife understands some of the difficulties, but that's another reason to hear it from those familiar with doing business in Africa. She grew up in Paris and only hears these things from relatives.

Establishing business there is only a thought at this time, while I seek helpful input from as many people such as yourself. It might even be that we setup business, allow family to assist and run the business from another location in Western Europe.

Thanks once more.

Maurice Chavez
3rd Jan 2010, 14:46
I saw a single engine taildragger the other day in DLA, it was N-registered, is that yours Pudknocker127?

Pudknocker127
4th Jan 2010, 11:20
Not mine, but I'm glad to hear you saw one. The impression I have is there are very few in Africa.

I take that to mean that service and parts are a rare occurance as well.

Gouabafla
4th Jan 2010, 12:06
JAARS, the missionary aviation outfit fly a number of small planes (no idea what type) out of Yaounde. They are based somewhere in the US and could probably give you good information on what is required.

albatross
4th Jan 2010, 12:06
If you haven't been there aviation in Africa will boogle your mind - good way to lose a lot of money. Especially for the uninitiated. Be afraid - be very afraid.

Here, however is the Asecna site for Cameroon. Happy surfing.

AIS ASECNA - Douala (FKKD) aeronautical chart - CAMEROON (http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/atlas/cameroun/douala.htm)

N1 Limit
4th Jan 2010, 21:50
Aviation in Cameroon is quite small but growing steadily as years go by,i was surprised to see a Van taking-off out of Douala this afternoon as General aviation is scarce here,however there's a lot u can do owning a plane around the demand is high but the supply is low,some operators with Dornier make good cash from companies,especially since the government wants to make priority on tourism the prospects are quite good.