PDA

View Full Version : Emergncy Landing Vancouver

JTG
31st Dec 2009, 23:13
Canadian radio station reported that an airlines is doing circles burning fuel prior to returning to Vancouver BC with tire(s) that blew on takeoff. Stay tuned.

MidgetBoy
31st Dec 2009, 23:40
Westjet 737 flight on its way to Honolulu.
Landed safely.

Airbubba
31st Dec 2009, 23:58
Looks like they thought about it for a while before turning back, maybe pieces of the tire were found on the runway.

Also, the fuel dump didn't work too well so looks like they orbited a couple of times to burn down the landing weight.:)

FlightAware > Westjet Airlines Ltd #1862 > 31-Dec-2009 > CYVR-CYVR (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA1862/history/20091231/1813Z/CYVR/CYVR)

Glamgirl
1st Jan 2010, 00:15
'Scuse me for interrupting,

Also, the fuel dump didn't work too well so looks like they orbited a couple of times to burn down the landing weight

I believe that 737 doesn't have the "fuel dump" ability.

Sorry if I got that wrong.

Gg

oleary
1st Jan 2010, 00:22
They sure do!

Correction, I should have said - "some do".:8

Airbubba
1st Jan 2010, 00:24
I believe that 737 doesn't have the "fuel dump" ability.

I think you are right:ok::

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/faqs/fueldump.pdf

ReverseFlight
1st Jan 2010, 01:55
A mate of mine says he will never type on the B737 exactly for this reason in case he has to make an emergency landing immediately after takeoff at MTOW.

cheesycol
1st Jan 2010, 02:04
Then your "mate" is an idiot. Not constructive, but a fact.

Happy new year.

con-pilot
1st Jan 2010, 02:14
You can always make an 'overweight' landing and have the aircraft inspected before the next flight. On the 727 it was just a visual inspection.

I can't believe it would be that much difference with a 737.

Say Again, Over!
1st Jan 2010, 03:56
Reverse Flight,

If an aircraft doesn't have fuel dumping capability, it's because it doesn't need it.

The requirements to have the capability are based on go-around criteria.

Fuel dumping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping)

Cheers!

moonburn
1st Jan 2010, 12:41
Actually CP a visual check is the first part of a heavy or overweight landing on any aeroplane, its what you find during that which determines wether or not you get into the really 'heavy' stuff which can be very time consuming and will probably require a hangar in many cases.

Happy new year.

NigelOnDraft
1st Jan 2010, 15:10
A mate of mine says he will never type on the B737 exactly for this reason Presumably he avoids A318/319/320/321, B757, some B767 and numerous other types for this curious professional attitude :uhoh:

NoD

NigelOnDraft
1st Jan 2010, 15:13
Actually CP a visual check is the first part of a heavy or overweight landing on any aeroplane, its what you find during that which determines wether or not you get into the really 'heavy' stuff which can be very time consuming and will probably require a hangar in many casesAs a slight cynic, I would say this is not the Flt Crew's "problem" or "concern" ;)

However, being more practical, if you needed to land "overweight", then it is almost certain a hanger visit is required anyway. If the "problem" does not require the hanger, then it probably does not warrant landing overweight :ok:

NoD

Firestorm
1st Jan 2010, 15:40
Con-pilot you are correct.

Overweight landing is allowed, but requires an engineering inspection before it can be released for further flights. The precise requirement for the inspection would be laid out in the engineering manuals. It's a pretty robust airframe, and is somewhat akin to the Transit van of the skies: it takes quite alot to knacker them!

AltFlaps
1st Jan 2010, 15:56
ReverseFlight,

Tell you're mate he's an numpty - and chances are if he's that dim witted, he won't be offered a rating on anything

Firestorm
1st Jan 2010, 16:12
Reverse flight. I don't understand what you mate is thinking. There can't be too much wrong with a B737 if there have been over 3000 aeroplanes in 9 different models produced over 40-something years. If he can get through his career without flying a 737 good luck to him, but if I had taken the sam e attitude my career would have ground to a halt 5 years ago (instead of 1 year ago)!

JW411
1st Jan 2010, 16:50
I have a feeling that all aircraft have to demonstrate their ability to land at MTOW without serious damage resulting during the certification process.

Then we get to what actually constitutes an overweight landing and its severity.

I do remember that the normal MLW for the DC10-30 was 403,000 lbs. Up to an actual landing weight of 436,000 lbs, all that was required was a tech log entry and a visual inspection which took about 1 man hour.

The next band up required something like 80 man hours of inspection from our engineers (I cannot remember the figure).

It was only after landing above that second value that we were talking about going into the hangar and getting the jacks out.

Therefore, there was little point in dumping down to 403,000 lbs when 436,000 lbs resulted in virtually no penalty.

I also remember reading somewhere that landing at MTOW which, in our case, was 580,000 lbs, would require a touchdown ROD of less than 700 fpm or so.

I remember talking to Jack A (who was a McDonnell Douglas test pilot) and he told me that he had done a test 'hot and high' with a KC-10 at a MTOW of 595,000 lbs with a simulated failure of No.3 just after V1 and had gone straight round the pattern and carried out a touch and go landing.

That gave me a lot of confidence in the product.

Human Factor
1st Jan 2010, 16:58
Landing above MLW is no big deal. If you need to do it, you do it. There is a QRH procedure if you want to reconfigure the packs for go-around performance however IMHO if you're in a hurry to come back, you're unlikely to be going around anyway.

However, if there is no rush (ie. a wing is not burning off) you may as well burn off the fuel.

The 737 has no issue with overweight landings but will require a visual check before further operation.

DA50driver
2nd Jan 2010, 00:43
I just have to look at the CMC to see what the G load was for landing. If it is below a certain value I am done with the overweight landing issue. My brake temp monitors won't let me enter TO info until it is satisfied I will not exceed max brake energy for the next takeoff if I should decide to go again.

Sometimes the new technology is cool.......

LastCall
2nd Jan 2010, 04:50
Did 2 overweight landings on the 767. Was told by maintenance that standard procedure for them is to pull the data recorder and check the vertical G on landing.

If it's below a certain value, only a walkaround check is required, checking for obvious sources of damage, wear, fuel leaks, that sort of thing.

If the reading is over that certain value, it's a mandatory hangar trip.