PDA

View Full Version : SIA Preferred seats

anotherglassofwine
31st Dec 2009, 11:22
Greetings,
I'm flying with SIA to Oz next month. First leg will be London to Singapore, and then on to melbourne. I believe on both legs the a380 is used. I am flying economy class, so could anyone advise whether it is worth spending my last few Euros on the preferred seats?

Secondly, I have a 2 hour stopover in Singapore and have heard that there are shower facilities that smelly SLF can use. Do I have enough time to take a quick shower?

Many thanks, and a very happy new year to all.
AGOW

Analcyst
31st Dec 2009, 15:10
Front of cabin seats can put you close to flying babies. Disadvantage of no underseat storage although A380 overhead bins are cavernous. Also, front seats are narrower due to fold away table in armrest.
Legroom in rest of economy is better than on SQ's old B744; unless you are over 190cm tall, you'll survive. In fact, once you've been on the A388 you won't want to go near a B744 again. (Your fellow Irishman WW might understand that one day!)
I prefer Main Deck; upper deck feels cramped due to curvature of fuselage.
Would suggest that mid-January load factor might not be that great, so spare seats in the aft cabins of main deck might be available. To get those, first come first served, you don't want to be allocated a seat in row 30 - use singaporeair.com to select your initial seat.
Don't know about the showers at Terminal 3 Changi. It probably costs money.

sierratangomike
4th Jan 2010, 09:59
can't help you with the seats, but you can certainly shower at Changi - there are places in each terminal, details at Shower, Fitness and Spa Services (http://www.changiairport.com/changi/en/airport_guide/exp_changi/rest_n_relax/shower_spa.html)

Andy_S
4th Jan 2010, 12:57
I prefer Main Deck; upper deck feels cramped due to curvature of fuselage.

Funnily enough, I prefer the upper deck. It's a smaller cabin with a more 'exclusive' feel (obviously that's just a personal psychological thing). Seating is 2-4-2 rather than 3-4-3 downstairs. Window seats in the upper cabin have an individual storage compartment between the seat and the window.

Businesstraveller
4th Jan 2010, 13:57
I had 81K both ways LHR-SIN-LHR last month. Well worth the extra cash as I had far more legroom than my 6'1" frame could use. No foot storage during take off indeed, but the great big overhead bins weren't very full anyway. Also, after take off, I kept bits/bobs stored infront of my feet, incase I wanted them.

Note - from memory these are the only extra legroom seats which aren't near potentially screaming babies.

anotherglassofwine
5th Jan 2010, 09:49
As usual, great advice from all.
Seems my only option is to buy a preferred seat. I booked through a tour operator that has issued me with a reference for the flight, but when I log into the itinerary on the SIA website, it only allows me select preferred seats.
I'll see if 81k is free now ...

Thanks again,
AGOW