PDA

View Full Version : Heli IFR software???

General Mutley
31st Dec 2009, 11:05
Can anyone recommend any software/flight sim that would be useful (and accurate) as a basic introduction (and considerably cheaper!) into the world of heli instrument/IFR flying. There seems to be a few products in transair but not sure of differences (if any) between these fixed wing products and our world!!!
Thanks in advance :ok:

Bravo73
31st Dec 2009, 11:28
<snip>... not sure of differences (if any) between these fixed wing products and our world!!!

There's not a lot (or, at least, not enough to worry about).

To practice your scan, MS Flightsim is sufficient.

To practice instrument procedures (without having your capacity sapped by concentrating on hand flying), use RANT.

HTH

eivissa
31st Dec 2009, 11:35
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 or X should do. Depends on your computer hardware for which one to go. This in combination with the Dodosim 206 addon is what I used to prepare the CVFR/IFR part of the CPL and it helped me quite a lot.

To go even further you could have a look at TrackIR with a Radeon Eyefinity 3 monitor setup plus the new Logitech G940 flight system.

Could safe you some hours in the real helo or sim :ok:

General Mutley
31st Dec 2009, 11:36
Thanks for both your replies - I will check out your recommendations.
HAppy New Year :ok:

helimutt
31st Dec 2009, 12:29
If you're doing your IR at some of the places in the UK, the FNPT II runs on Microsoft flight sim 2004 anyway. !!!

Use RANT for practice and getting used to working out where you are.

Droopystop
31st Dec 2009, 18:56
Mutley,

Forgive me if I am reading too much into your post and apologies for thread creap. If you are just about to embark on an IR course with a view to working the North Sea, please please please get in touch with the operators to find out what their requirements for pilots are likely to be over the foreseeable future. Don't take advice from here, speak to them directly. If of course you are not going NS, ignore this message.

RaymondKHessel
31st Dec 2009, 19:04
Poke around this siteluizmonteiro - Online Simulators (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning.aspx). He has an online simulator that works really well for learning the navigation systems. There's also Tim's VOR simulator (seriously, just google that and you'll find it all over). It's a bare bones VOR/ADF/HSI simulator that some guy named Tim threw together years ago. Hide your plane, set up an HSI/VOR and a DG, then hit "L". Great for practicing radio navigation. Both of those take some time to familiarize yourself with, but great learning tools. Takes the aircraft control part out of the equation and lets you focus on the navigation and procedures.

I'd also pick up an old copy of MS Flight Sim. Don't bother with X...just get 2004. I practice with the C182 or Mooney. You can work approaches. Use the autopilot rather than trying to learn to fly MS Flight Sim...it's not the same as an airplane or a helicopter.

DeeJayEss
31st Dec 2009, 22:30
Great website Raymond, some brilliant stuff on his whole site.

DJS

General Mutley
1st Jan 2010, 13:09
Thankyou Raymond - will check them out. :ok:

heliprof
3rd Jan 2010, 00:21
Just Wondering what is RANT ??? :E
doing my IFR in LA
I`m a CFI with 570 hrs in R22 and R44
need to score a better job
grateful for any hints
thanks & happy new year

Rick

paco
3rd Jan 2010, 01:59
Radio And Navigation Trainier?

I believe it used to be called Precision Pilot

Phil

Bob the Doc
3rd Jan 2010, 07:06
What is the Rotorcraft part of X-Plane like? The FW bits are very good and it is much cheaper than MS Flight Sim and works on the Mac

eivissa
3rd Jan 2010, 10:27
as far as I know, X plane has way better rotorcraft aerodynamics than MSFS. If you are going for X-plane then you might want to check out ifly.it. They are producing some very nice Agusta addons.

Bravo73
3rd Jan 2010, 20:52
Just Wondering what is RANT ??? :E

RANT XL - Radio Aids Navigation Tutor Edition 3 (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1211)

helimutt
4th Jan 2010, 11:26
RANT? Usually what Captains do to co-pilots!