PDA

View Full Version : PTSD

dctyke
31st Dec 2009, 08:38
Saw this in my local newspaper. Now you don't even have to be in a conflict zone or in the armed forces, is this a claim too far?

A CIVIL servant believes Government officials are trying to prevent him voicing controversial claims about soldiers’ safety in Iraq at an employment tribunal, until after the General Election.
John Salisbury-Baker, 63, a York-based Ministry Of Defence press officer, intends telling the hearing that peddling “Government lies” about squaddies’ safety caused him post-traumatic stress disorder.
But he said today that the Ministry appeared to be deliberately stalling his claim for disability discrimination.
He said he had lodged the claim in December last year and had fully expected it to have gone to a hearing by now.
But instead it had not even been to a preliminary hearing because of delays caused by the Ministry.
He said he was now intending to lodge an official complaint.
“I cannot think of any other reason for such delays, other than that they would prefer the tribunal not to take place until after the election next year, because the claims might embarrass the Government,” said Mr Salisbury-Baker.
He has been on half sick pay for the last six months.

vecvechookattack
31st Dec 2009, 08:47
is this a claim too far?

.......... Yep

Wander00
31st Dec 2009, 09:02
But perhaps a means to an end! Maybe he has something intersting to say, but why not exercise public interest disclosure rights.

tucumseh
31st Dec 2009, 09:26
I think there may be many sufferers who are more deserving, yet forgotten.

Namely, the surviving family members of those have been lost and, in particular, those who have been lied to and deceived by MoD and have had to fight for years to hear the simple truths.

Melchett01
31st Dec 2009, 11:05
Disgusting :mad:

But unfortunately symptomatic of the way the country has degenerated into an 'ambulance chasing self-serving it's all about me' mindset. He does an immense dis-service to the rest of his organisation.

If his tribunal does come up, I hope it is held alongside those who have returned from the front line with limbs missing, who as we see all too often, bear their injuries with immense dignity. Then he might see what a fool he is being.

anotherthing
31st Dec 2009, 11:29
The guy may be very passionate about 'doing the right thing' and ensuring soldiers safety is paramount.

His worries and battles with management may well have caused him stress - no one can argue with that.

But PTSD? Can't really see it myself :ugh:

EGGP
31st Dec 2009, 11:31
Before everyone gets too indignant just remember that this is a press report where PTSD is mentioned and a direct quote was not given. How many times have you dismissed stories in the press where it is an aviation related matter; because of the standard of journalism?

PTSD is a very subjective diagnosis; it is perfectly possible that if this person has been treated badly by his line management that he has some kind of anxiety related condition which has been quoted as PTSD to make a good story by the journo.

Lets wait and judge after the tribunal.

E L Whisty
31st Dec 2009, 12:02
It is unsurprising that we encounter, on a forum bristling with armchair air marshals and other self appointed 'experts', several examples of arrogant assertions about PTSD. Is it entirely impossible that a civil servant can suffer a PTSD? Does one have to have served in uniform to qualify, or be allowed the diagnosis?

I have served. I have been severely injured on active service and I still suffer chronic and acute pain from my injuries, sustained more than 25 years ago. A complication of my medical condition was a PTSD caused by the circumstances of my injury. Some of the psychological effects were to do with the conduct of some officers in my chain of command who were not entirely supportive. So forgive me for having a mild reaction to some of the above.

My medical history, however, does not qualify me to make any assertions about whether another person is fit, qualified or worthy of a PTSD.

PTSD is a condition that can, or should, only be made by a properly trained and qualified practitioner - not by a mob of crew room cowboys. It can be extremely distressing and is not always, or just, a result of being, or seeing others, physically harmed. Betrayal and unprincipled conduct by those who should be trusted can greatly exacerbate the psychological damage.

It distresses not just the patient but their loved ones. It can last a long time. Being woken by a screaming terrified man 25 years after events that you know nothing of requires great patience, love and understanding. For at least one person, it never goes away - one just finds ways of coping.

I fear that the unprincipled, arrogant, duplicitous treachery of our government and its servants will have dreadful effects on our people who serve and become physically and psychologically damaged by their experiences in Blair / Brown's wars. It will last for many years - believe you me!

P.S. It being New Year's Eve, I am off to the fridge to open a bottle of 'coping strategy of preference' - cheers and Happy New Year!