PDA

View Full Version : BIPAC 5200G router firmware query.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 08:21
I 'helpfully'(!) 'upgraded' no2 son's desktop to XP PRO SP3 from SP2 during a virus clean and now find his Bipac 5200G router has dumped the wired desktop connection. Firmware update required and waiting to go on - Billion Products for SSL VPN, ADSL Modem/Router, Wireless ADSL Router, Powerline ADSL Router and Adapter, VoIP ADSL Modem/Router, Security Router, Broadband Router, SHDSL Bridge/Router, iBusiness Security, ISDN Product (http://www.billion.com/notice-200805.html) has the info. I understand it was poor 'non-compliant' firmware coding by BIPAC that caused the issue.

I can crack that - BUT - he also runs a laptop with Vista on Wireless on the BIPAC router which does connect ok on the 'bad' firmware. Anyone know if the upgrade will still allow the Vista wifi connection? I cannot see anything definitive on the BIPAC site.

Bushfiva
31st Dec 2009, 08:58
I can't imagine they'd offer a firmware update that would then break Vista. And as the firmware update appears to be 18 months old, there would be others who would have encountered the problem before you. From the docs, both earlier and later versions of the firmware are OK with Option 43.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 13:13
Thanks BF - that makes sense. Having frozen to death on a dog beach walk and thought about it I have decided that since I am also 'rebuilding' his machine afer a Virut infection I will roll him back to SP2 to get the connection sorted and look at the firmware upgrade when all else is done. Ah! what fun......................

Bushfiva
31st Dec 2009, 16:10
You could just give the machine a fixed IP address for a while, that will also fix the issue Then you can go back to dynamic IP after upgrading the firmware.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 18:43
No1 son suggested that too - if that works it would be ideal. I was thinking that for simplicity I would 'cut and run' but it might be worth a shot. Thanks again for all the help everyone and enjoy the rest of the year!

Jofm5
1st Jan 2010, 15:40
I have seen routers with problems like this when talking with W7/Vista, the main difference with these OS's is that as well as having the IP4 Stack Loaded by default the IP6 stack is loaded which causes issues.

Try going into your network adapter properties and disabling IPV6, reboot and see if that cures the problem.

BOAC
1st Jan 2010, 16:28
Jof - if I ever get No2 son back after a fancy dress party in Brighton(!) I am starting with a fixed IP address - if that does not work, after SP3 rollback your idea.