PDA

View Full Version : fsecure online scanner (fsonlinescanner.exe)

BOAC
30th Dec 2009, 11:29
Anyone tried this? It has a Firefox add-on extension but when I try to connect to the site Spybot tells me the file is 'unsafe'.

green granite
30th Dec 2009, 11:51
No warnings or anything, but it wouldn't download for me.

BOAC
30th Dec 2009, 17:18
Thanks. Paranoia has overcome enthusiasm and I have abandoned the attempt:O

Tarq57
30th Dec 2009, 22:56
The F-secure online scanner (http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/) is safe. There will be a security alert to install an activex control, an add-on for Firefox, which then needs to be restarted.
I'm surprised S&D thought it was unsafe. Was this the tea-timer alerting to a reg change? If so, allow it. Better yet, disable the Tea-timer.
Here (http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/launch/faq.html?language=en&license=reject&button=unclick) is a list of FAQ's fro the scanner.
It's commonly recommended/used on some of the security sites I frequent, as part of a cleanup routine.

Now the question comes: Why do you want to run it?
Problems, Don't trust your resident AV, or just want a second opinion?

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 08:11
Tarq - thanks for all that. Yes, Teatimer flagged it. Long story as to why, but I have been clearing no 2 son's desktop from a Virut infection and wanted to run a 'second opinion' on my machine after.

I'll stick without it for the time being, I think.

Tarq57
31st Dec 2009, 08:55
BOAC, Virut is a particularly and buggy polymorphic file infector.
Almost all the advice I've read on the forums that deal with this sort of thing is basically that a format and re-install is usually the only option.
Many different - and not necessarily executable - files can be infected by this one.
I think that probably the only way it could be fixed is by using a bootable disk (Like Linux Puppy or similar)to delete all infected files from outside Windows, and then carry out a repair install, but if there was even one file left that was infected, as soon as Explorer processed that file, it's all on again.
Good luck.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 09:08
Yes - my experience too! I've done most of the cleaning so far via 'Hiren's Boot Usb stick' using 'Mini XP' but even now having removed AVG and installed Avast, Avast has picked up 1 (non-Virut) infection! I'll see how it goes and W7 may be the best answer.

Tarq57
31st Dec 2009, 09:27
Run MBAM (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) past the b@$tard, too, if you haven't already, it's one of the best demand scanners around at the moment.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 13:19
Yes, MBAM (picked up a chunk!) and Norman 2009 which collared a lot more. I decided then to run Combofix which sorted LOADS but in the process killed several infected 'protected' files requiring a run of SFC. Incidentally, there are a few Virut removers around. I ran the AVG one which found a 'significant number'.

Hopefully the worst is away. MBAM seems to perform less well with Virut infections.

We had the whole 'package' at one point - Userinit.exe broken, explore.exe broken, plus all the rest. Looking forward to next year:ugh:

rans6andrew
31st Dec 2009, 19:29
BOAC, might we know which anti virus let you down? We only run AVG and so far it has (presumably!) done the job well.

Rans6...

Tarq57
31st Dec 2009, 21:07
Some info about Virut Here. (http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/virut_delivers_polymorphic_punch.html) A lot of the AV products fail to detect a particular variant that may be hosted by any site that has been hacked.
Because the release of new variants is so prolific, any of the AV's (that might detect some variants) can, sooner or later, fail to detect the newest one.
So you are probably no worse of with AVG, than with any other good AV. (Nor necessarily better off.)
Best thing I would think one can do to prevent is to tighten browser security. Every 3.6 seconds a website is infected. (http://www.scmagazineus.com/every-36-seconds-a-website-is-infected/article/140414/)
This, and downloading unknown files/email attachments is likely to be the most likely attack vector.
Browser security can be manually tightened to virtually eliminate the chance of accidental infection from a hacked site. (User "clickines" is another issue.)

If anyone wants to know how, just ask.

BOAC
31st Dec 2009, 22:45
Last post this year!

History: I suspect No2 son had visited a few torrent downloads and the like - I have beaten him with a large stick

AV-wise, as Tarq says - none are perfect. No2 lad was running AVG, but I have no idea what settings or update state so I would not place any blame. Virut is a particularly 'nasty' one and like many others disables AV as a first step.

I do believe in having a 'cocktail' of progs to run at intervals. I use Avast, but it lets some through, as does AVG and Avira - none are perfect. I run Norman 2009 and MBAM at fairly frequent intervals. There is also Housecall from Trend, and Panda which have promise. 'Nasty' viruses are rapidly becoming a fact of life - best defence is a non-admin profile, but that can be a pain in itself. As Tarq says - if you 'click it in', there is little you can do to stop the really bad ones. The 'traditional' viri will be stopped by AVG and the like, but the determined ones will get through if invited.

mixture
6th Jan 2010, 17:35
I do believe in having a 'cocktail' of progs to run at intervals

Only thing "cocktails" are good for is for slowing down your computer.

I never understand why people insist on running their computer as Administrator the whole time. Setup a new user, with limited privileges, and authenticate as administrator as and when you need to.

If you can't help your desire to run as Administrator, or need to because of some sloppy software programmer who can't write software properly then consider something like Faronics Deep Freeze that will set your computer back to a safe state after a quick reboot.