PDA

View Full Version : Link Retrenchment?

fastfly
29th Dec 2009, 12:39
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that link is retrenching the J41 crew, except for a few, and getting rid of them along with the J41 aircraft???:eek:

Q4NVS
29th Dec 2009, 20:52
AFAIK
(Truth or Rumour)
Meeting with J41 Crew Today...
If J41's are not flying within the next week, 50 Pilots might be retrenched with a R 100 000-00 "Hand-Shake" each.

Hope this is NOT True. :oh:

mad_jock
29th Dec 2009, 21:52
If you are booted and don't mind moving country give me a pm

Beta Light
29th Dec 2009, 22:51
What about seniority?

Q4NVS
30th Dec 2009, 05:06
What about seniority?
Dunno, as I do not work for Airlink...

lvdriver
30th Dec 2009, 06:34
Seems rumor is true, some guys called in yeaterday and advised that the fleet was going to be removed from service.

CJ750
30th Dec 2009, 07:18
How does this rumoured compensation package compare with the South African Labour Law as it stands at the moment. Does Mr RF even know about it and does this include the infamous JVJ that we have all read about. Will RF take off the training bonds before the handshake.

Also this will eventually lead to a discussion about the Union and the infamous ALPA. What do they have to say about the whole thing.

Good luck to the affected crew My advice is to look overseas. There are rumours of all the local airlines taking on crew to handle the world cup but that could be a rumour.

Hope the crew get a fair deal out of RF as he is not known to like aircrew. :sad:

Cheers

Sky Bolt
30th Dec 2009, 12:03
Rumour has it that there are 4 Emb 135's on the way. Top 20 (according to seniority) J41 crew apparently did sim session yesterday. Of the candidates, only 16 will be taken. The rest of J41 appears to be the unlucky ones. Seems like a rush to get them trained.:hmm:

Foo-Fighter
30th Dec 2009, 16:51
This is really really sad.

Its a shame people choose to forget the many 1000's of hours those J41's served perfectly, taking pax consistently to all the places where no-one else wanted to go.

I truly hope this gets resolved before it gets to retrenchments. Like it or not, SA needs Link not only for capacity, but to give guys coming up through the ranks some hope of a place to progress too (and from).

zip69
1st Jan 2010, 11:14
Sad times.

It is not good to see any one lose their job.

If anyone is interested in continuing to fly the J41 in Australia, PM me.

We have a few 457 visas available.

Zip.

NOTOT
3rd Jan 2010, 05:19
Is there any truth in the rumours?

kitkat777
3rd Jan 2010, 09:33
not rumours, they've already started the most senior j41 guys on courses for the erj, they have sim slots and everything

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Jan 2010, 10:39
Sounds as though Link is a thoroughly well managed company.
It has come thorugh all sorts of trauma with no bad record and an expansion to an all jet fleet, the catalyst for the change of which has, rightly or wrongly, been blamed both by the ailrine and by implication, the local CAA, on another manufacturer.
The head honchos are extremely clever and have every right to be totally pleased at the way the company is run. They have pretty much made a laughing stock of every one and no one is now likely to ever give them a had time again. Link rules apply to one and all for 2010.

Alternative
3rd Jan 2010, 13:19
Heard a few guys from Link have already been offered positions at SAA!

Flyer14
3rd Jan 2010, 14:04
Heard a few guys from Link have already been offered positions at SAA!

Not true - only the SAA Cadets at Link have been offered an interview.

NOTOT
5th Jan 2010, 06:58
Most of the j41 crew will assemble at head-office this morning to hear their fate! Sounds like 3 months pay+pension................

LittleMo
5th Jan 2010, 08:56
Smells alot like the BS we were fed at Nationwide when they closed. The staff were promised that everything was ok and that there were 11 B737-300's on their way, ex KLM if memory serves. Next thing we knew uncle Vern's Porches were in the hold of the 767 off to London, away from the liquidators and we were on the street.

NOTOT
5th Jan 2010, 10:22
Doubt if RF can fit his yacht in a 14cr*p, at least he will be able to fly his merry men out in his kingair/phenom!!!!:ugh:

bornefree
5th Jan 2010, 20:57
Amazing, I wonder what the union will assist with as Solidarity had zip to say today, ALPA, well I am starting to wander if all my years as a loyal member was in vein ? We are all tied inn till an actual action plan takes form while positions outside slips away ! Can this mess please just go away ! :ugh:

Sir Osis of the river
6th Jan 2010, 00:20
Bornfree,

We had a similar situation at Flitestar. Training bond, could not go anywhere till oficially told, etc.

Took some legal advice and was told AT THE TIME, that if company cannot guarantee you a continuing position, training bond is null and void and you are free to seek emplyment elsewhere.

I am no lawyer and I am sure labour laws in SA have changed since then. However, I would suggest you get some independant legal adviceASAP, before you find out all the positions elsewhere are gone.

Not a nice position to be in and hoping that it all works out.

Sir O

hillbillybob
6th Jan 2010, 08:02
Sad times.

It is not good to see any one lose their job.

If anyone is interested in continuing to fly the J41 in Australia, PM me.

We have a few 457 visas available.

Zip.

and in one post you have made me reconsider where I will train from my PPL to CPL.

while it is sad these guys are getting retrenched I have problems supporting a business which is happy to go against the spirit of the 457 program while there are plenty of aussie pilots about looking for work

why support a flight school with my cash when the airline side of the business is happy to contribute to the poor work prospects of the pilots already in australia?

bornefree
6th Jan 2010, 08:26
Thanks for that, will follow up !

Der absolute Hammer
6th Jan 2010, 09:21
Yeah but then I remember an Australian pilot strike some years ago when the pilots union there took out a half page ad in Flight International looking for work for their members overseas while they were on strike.
At the same time, the Australian pilot union advertised that any pilot coming in to Oz to fill his shoes while he was on strike was a blackleg and a scab.
It would be a very good thing for world aviation if the rest of the world was as hostile to Auustralian emigre pilots as the Australians are to those of the rest of the world.

4HolerPoler
6th Jan 2010, 09:56
I'm going to leave these posts above as an example of how some of our members can take a thread on one subject & so quickly divert it's purpose & course in a completely different (and normally bad) direction.

This thread is about the potential pending Link retrenchment - it has nothing to do with Aussie employment issues dating back decades; quit that line or I'll be obliged to use some editorial licence.

4HP

Der absolute Hammer
6th Jan 2010, 11:32
Well-I should say that I came back to this thread to delete the completely digressive post. Seeing as you have now been here...how can I do this and not make your post sound dafted? So...use your editorial licence as you wish please with pleasure but always happy to have been of the information service and provided such good example.

Bosotter
6th Jan 2010, 19:35
What is the latest, please?

Juliet Sierra Papa
8th Jan 2010, 17:46
Just seen on SABC news that the first J41 is back in the air again.

JSP

rodmur
9th Jan 2010, 09:54
i believe it is the other Jetstreams at Lanseria which do not have the higher power engines

Deanw
11th Jan 2010, 06:45
One Link and the two Namic Jetstreams have had their airworthiness suspensiosn lifted so far.