PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Libya?

gilbertmchris
29th Dec 2009, 10:08
Has anyone flown in Libya recently?

I have been looking at contract work for the DHC-8 but there is not much info on the web.

- Getting around etc. is it easy/cheap to buy motorbikes/cars?
- Is there a regular ferry service out of tripoli to mainland europe? (hoping to ride round italy or ski during weeks off)
- Is it simple to cross the border to Tunisia on a UK passport? (as a possible route to a ferry or just as a week off)

Only ever flown in mainland Europe before so any advice for a new Captain to Africa?

Cheers

Chris

nerof53
29th Dec 2009, 11:43
Two company flying DCH8
One is Petro Air and I would not suggest to go due to the fact they relay on a agency Called IBIS which is a fraud. Do not sign any contract with them .
The other one is Medavia.
Those are more serious. They are based in Malta and you can find easly on the web.

BCpeelot
30th Dec 2009, 04:27
Thanks for the insight....

As for Petro Air, have been considering a job on the King Air, good pay, schedule, etc... Could you please shed some more light on issue's I may encounter. What is IBIS. Also, have you worked in Libya, what are the conditions like?

Thanks

nerof53
30th Dec 2009, 05:01
How did you get the job info on the King Air 300 , please?
Which agency if any ? or contact?

BCpeelot
30th Dec 2009, 06:55
I applied back in Dec through a recruiter out of the UK. Dont have too many details, just been short listed.....whatever that means. Are you going to be able to give me some more information? I know nothing other than its a BE300, Libya. I can only assume it is for Petro.

nerof53
30th Dec 2009, 07:05
I know who are you talking about.
It is a long story and I do not think I can tell you on PPrune , but if you Skype you can PM and we can chat over

gilbertmchris
5th Jan 2010, 01:08
Hello, what is so bad about Petroair? This is the company I had heard about for short term contracts... sound all good on paper, have you worked for them?

Chris

Turkpilot
5th Apr 2010, 17:18
I was offered a gig on the E170 through IBIS. The pay is crap but i might have to, any news on this IBIS?

GoForIt
5th Apr 2010, 18:45
I've been offered a contract with IBIS as well. I've done some overseas contracts through reputable companies like PARC, and this contract has some things in it that are non-standard. Read it carefully! It is hard to have any confidence in these guys.