PDA

View Full Version : Sydney-Hobart - Interservice Rivalry

sisemen
28th Dec 2009, 01:23
If you weren't aware of it the UK MOD has 3 yachts competing in the annual Sydney-Hobart yacht race: Adventure of Hornet crewed by the RN; Discoverer of Hornet crewed by the RAF and Challenger of Hornet crewed by the Army. All the boats are Challenge 67's.

Currently, the RAF boat is leading the three (although well behind the race leaders) with the Army bringing up the rear by a long way.

Details at Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2009.. The Yachts (http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/yacht_details.asp?raceEntryID=12303)

The race can also be followed on GoogleEarth by opening the following feed file: cyca_rshyr_yachtrace.kml (http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/ge/cyca_rshyr_yachtrace.kml)

4Greens
28th Dec 2009, 06:27
What are the 3 most useless things in a yacht?

1. A wheelbarrow

2. A stepladder

3. A Naval Officer

dat581
28th Dec 2009, 06:48
1 Sail Army

2 Fly Navy

3 Walk Sideways

:p

green granite
28th Dec 2009, 07:02
What are the 3 most useless things in a yacht?

1. A wheelbarrow

2. A stepladder

3. A Naval Officer

1) absolute necessity, required for collecting the booze from the off licence.

2) agreed

3) useful for making pink gins, and enabling you to fly the white ensign instead of the red one, thus gaining kudos.

sisemen
29th Dec 2009, 02:22
RAF still leading the RN by 3km - Army trailing by 118 km :ok:

The RAF boat is being skippered by a girlie - so they are useful for some things :E

L J R
29th Dec 2009, 05:44
And how are they contributing to 'The War' elsewhere....

How is their T & S going....

Redcarpet
29th Dec 2009, 07:50
LJR,

If all the Services did was 'contribute to the war' there would be even more people leaving than there are now. Hats off to these boys and girls for getting off their backsides and undertaking some tough adventurous training. A large amount of the Trans-Globe route is across big, miserable and often dangerous stretches of ocean and is certainly not for the faint hearted.

cornish-stormrider
29th Dec 2009, 09:52
Well said red carpet. aside from the fact that people cannot do constant combat ops without going burnout or mental.

It's awesome to see the services competing on a level playing field . Go gettem girlie driver:ok:

LateArmLive
29th Dec 2009, 10:27
LJR

How dare you take time away from "The War" to make a comment like that on an internet forum - don't you know people are dying out there :ugh:

vecvechookattack
29th Dec 2009, 10:40
And how are they contributing to 'The War' elsewhere....

They are making a significant contribution. In the same way that the RAFAT are contributing.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2009.. Yacht Tracker (http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/yacht_tracker.asp?key=522)

Yeller_Gait
29th Dec 2009, 12:07
Good luck to all the boys and girls on the three 67' going around the world. My only regret on leaving the UK was that I was not going to be able to participate in Transglobe.

Glad to see that the RAF is winning though, and safe sailing to all of you.

Y_G

spindrier
29th Dec 2009, 19:49
I sympathise with LJR's point.

The small print in the exped paperwork stated that only race trained crews could participate in this leg, as well at the Antigua Race week. I therefore question is this the best justification of our ever decreasing T+S? By funding this global event a multitude of UK based activites will not be supported.

Money is too tight to support those that do this activity on a regular basis. And yes, hello, a multitude of pers from all 3 services are fully committed to a difficult and challenging war. Unfortunately it is these very people that are often at the back of the queue when it comes for participating in AT. Why not prioritise the funding for these people and give all those returning from Ops a fully-funded AT ex. Better still make those REMFs from the PEd Flt organise it whilst the rest of us go and fight.

Thoughts?

muttywhitedog
29th Dec 2009, 21:15
So whilst some folk sail round Australia, some of us have seen our Personal Development & Education Courses cancelled to save a few quid.

Tourist
29th Dec 2009, 22:11
Well I, for one, would rather sail round Australia than do a Personal Development & Education Course.
Probably get a lot more benefit from it too.

L J R
29th Dec 2009, 23:18
...so would I, but my combat schedule (continuous) does not allow it.....-and yes I have PVR'd

LateArmLive
30th Dec 2009, 00:01
LJR,

Don't you think that there are plenty of people from all 3 services that have been on fairly constant Ops that have had a little morale pumped back into them by going on Ex Transglobe? Indeed, there were a fair few recently injured/disabled servicemen on a couple of the previous legs.
I think it's a small price to pay to keep up what little morale is left in the military. If we had no good deals left then we wouldn't have many people left in the mob at all.

Spindrier,

A dark blue friend of mine who crewed the Cape Town-Fremantle leg of the Ex had to pay a shedload of his own personal cash to participate. Not that much coming out of the T+S budget by the sounds of it. He also mentioned that those just back from Ops got priority over the REMFs. And if you wanted to get race-trained, you just needed to apply to join the team. Not really that elitist.

Anyway, I thought everyone coming home from Ops already got a "fully-funded AT ex" at Bloodhound :ok:

gayford
30th Dec 2009, 09:23
Well done the Royal Air Force crew, just finishing now. As a geriatric who organised and participated in "Medsailor" expeditions during the winters in the 1980s I am a great believer in this type of teamworking for our service persons. Long may it last!!

SawThe Light
31st Dec 2009, 06:55
Ah yes, another defence pound or two well spent! Thank you tax-payers.

vecvechookattack
31st Dec 2009, 08:18
Exactly. That was money well spent. Thankfully the budget for next years race is also secure and so our young men and women can look forward to some more vital AT.

BEagle
31st Dec 2009, 08:23
You're welcome. I'm sure my fellow tax payers are entirely happy to pay towards this valuable competition - just as we are equally happy for our taxes to be spent subsidising the 2010 RAF Ski and Snowboard Championships.

2 weeks in Austria on the tax payer - have fun......

cornish-stormrider
31st Dec 2009, 10:38
well why not Beags? Service life is pretty ****e at the moment compared to civvy street.

If we were to put down a complete list of bitches and moans and the do a complete list of perks and such like that the mob provide then I think you find one is significantly bigger than the other.

I for one have no objection to a few grand of subisdy for any AT, I include the tiddlewink and uckers chamionships as well.

If you cut all the good stuff out the money saved would be blown on new carpets for MOD main building etc rather than going to frontline.

I agree the forces need to be properly funded but trying to scrimp out the few perks to pay for this COIN op sausage side is not the answer.

Happy New Yaaaar (pirate mode on) to one and all. Fly Safe..

anotherthing
31st Dec 2009, 11:00
Beagle

I'm a tax payer and I'm more than happy to see these things go on. When I was in the Mob, I did a few expeds - nothing as glamorous as the race above mind you.

ISTR that they were subsidised - not paid for in total. Participants have to pay some money towards them. Plenty people went on more exotic expeds than I did when I was in - was I jealous... not really.

Seems that the people complaining on here are just jealous because someone else, and not they, are getting a 'jolly'.

Are the Forces really getting to the stage that people are so petty?

Tongue in cheek whingeing is one thing but it seems that some people are serious... 'if I can't do it, why should anyone else be allowed to' :ugh:

Capt Pit Bull
31st Dec 2009, 11:08
I'm sure my fellow tax payers

This one is happy as well.

Of course I can't speak for the other couple of thousand of us that are actaully net tax payers.

mad_jock
31st Dec 2009, 11:36
After seeing the service crews at quite a few regattas I think they do wonders for your recruiting ability and contact with the tax payer.

The RAF crew at Cowes last year were very well presented in there fleeces and there kite was wonderful to see in the fleet.

The RAF crew did your service proud in my opinion. From talking to them it certainly wasn't a freebie and over the week you could see the stress drain away from them.

I do hope I see you again this year.

BEagle
31st Dec 2009, 11:41
Well, while there's still some gold amongst the poo, good luck indeed to those who can take advantage of it!

Mind you, the number of closet skiiers who used to pop up out of the woodwork and apply for 2 weeks 'duty' every winter always did make me wonder. But I hope those who can enjoy such things have a great time in 2010!

Tax payers would far sooner see service folk getting a reasonable deal for once, I'm entirely sure. And rather that than read about money being spent on Main Building oil paintings and widescreen TVs......

minigundiplomat
31st Dec 2009, 12:11
Don't really see a problem. However, there is a tendency for a few faces to appear every year on these things, but not on ops.

As long as it is spread across all those who want to (and not just those doing nothing at the time) then its money well spent.

NATOPotato
31st Dec 2009, 12:52
Beags (if I may be so informal)

I am attending the RAF Ski Champs in Jan 2010. It will be my first chance to do any form of (slightly) subsidised sports/fun on the MOD for at least 15 years and I jumped at the chance when I discovered that I had a week spare at the right time to do something constructive. I don't consider myself a REMF or PONTI, every Sqn or Unit that I have served on since 1984 has deployed on some Op or other and, like many others, I've done 'my bit' in FI, NI, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Therefore I hope I've earned the chance to take part as a break from endless Dets. I think we should be very careful not to lose these opportunities just to save a few pennies, which, if saved, will undoubtedly not be used to the general good of the Armed Forces, instead squandered on yet another hand-out to a particularly undeserving cause, furthering the general decline of our country and society.

I'm looking forward to a week (not everybody has time or money for 2 weeks) of serious sport and a bit of fun in the evenings at the same time. However, I agree with the concern that the same few Gym-Queens/Shinys - insert favourite insult as required, may take advantage of the subsidy every year at the expense of others. I will report back to you when I return as to the proportion of professional REMFs, PONTIs and general Draft-Dodgers involved!

NP

Widger
31st Dec 2009, 12:53
Minigun,

Quite right however, there are a whole host of sports and AT facilities out there that a large majority of the Service populous cannot be @rs@d to take advantage of. They are the first to moan when others are away but they have exactly the same opportunity to do these things as everyone else. Often they complain that they cannot get the time off, but when you delve deeper, they have not even bothered to ask their line managers. Often the only way to get some people to enjoy themselves is to be quite forceful. Most line managers would bend over backwards to accommodate such requests and I even know of some that have covered for their "juniors" to enable these activities to take part.

AT and Sport is supported at the highest level of the MOD, it keeps people fit, it is retention positive, they are relevant, most of them develop "grit" (to steal a quote) and they are an excellent way to balance lives and deal with issues like PTSD.

Anyone who thinks the Sydney to Hobart is a "holiday", should do a little digging into the history of the event and has clearly never done any Offshore Sailing.

Happy New Year!:ok::ok::ok:

vecvechookattack
31st Dec 2009, 13:24
2010 RAF Ski and Snowboard Championships

Don't forget the 2010 RN Ski and Snowboard Championships... although we generally spend 2 weeks in France.

Still, a 2 week skiing holiday in France all paid for with beagles taxes is surely a win !!:):):):):)

cornish-stormrider
31st Dec 2009, 17:34
I want to stick my tuppence worth in over the opinion that the ski and snowboard champs are a two week jolly. For some maybe but there were those of us who used it as an oppertunity to get some piste time in abroad, after all I only used to board every chance I got - including the wednesday ISL trips to the Lecht.

And before anyone gets onto the waveriders - i have never met a more dedicated hardcore sports enthusiasts than these lunatics. They taught me well.

Guests at HM Prison TPF at ISL from 98 - 02 would probably remember a mad fat man running down the bay while climbing into a wetsuit to get a quick few waves at lunch.

Big Waves to all the remaining waveriders, and does anyone have a contact for Aran P?, if so PM please.

thunderbird7
31st Dec 2009, 19:19
The individual cost of such events is, as ever , piddling but the PR presentation is vital! Personally, 12 yrs involved hard work trying to break into the sailing mafia and I question the limited worth of those taking part in the sydney-hobart ( having never joined 'the gang' ). Great event but perhaps the most use for the UK was extracted by Flt Lt Mullgrew flying SAROps in the 'Perfect Storm'.

sisemen
1st Jan 2010, 05:24
Just moving aside from the "jealousy" aspects for a moment.....

The RAF boat came in at 58th in the field beating the RN boat in 65th place which beat the Army boat in 79th place.

WELL DONE RAF!!

Incidentally, the RAF boat had a recruiting drive "Join the RAF" plastered all over the stern. One wonders how many recruits both now and in the future it will have engendered.

Now back to the "jealousy".

Expedition training, in whatever form, is of tremendous value in maintaining esprit de corps, leadership qualities, self discipline, comradeship (across the ranks), and resourcefulness.

As others have pointed out - it's not exactly free.

My game was mountaineering. In the mid 80s a group of like minded people fortuitously happened to be at RAF Wittering at the same time. Thanks to the enthusiasm and drive of a certain short nutcase of an engineer the group have largely held together wherever postings and lives have taken them and still meet up in the hills.

As a resident now of Oz I still keep in touch and, wherever possible, try and meet up with the group when I'm back in the UK. The group has broadened over the years as individuals have spread the word but the original players are still in there - a little older and greyer but leaders in their chosen field and still great mates. Some even lurk on here from time to time.

How do you put a price on that???

Go the Stoon :ok:

Union Jack
1st Jan 2010, 14:29
1 Sail Army

2 Fly Navy

3 Walk Sideways

Dat - As a former Sydneysider, I hope you won't mind me saying that the "original" third line is "Eat Crab"!:eek:

Jack

PS Well done all concerned:ok:

1st Jan 2010, 16:44
Well done Discoverer!
Having just helped deliver one of the three 67's from Freemantle to Sydney, I can assure you that Advenurous Training was a true discription. Equally for the guys and girls that took the boat from South Africa to Australia it was a challenge of a lifetime; for those detractors, give it a go. It is often hard to put a true cost/benefit on this type of AT, but I can assure you the mixture of ranks and trades on the boat had done their "fare share" of OOA's. For many this was the thing they had looked forward to during their last Op Tours (me included), and it certainly was a retention tool.
Being on the foredeck in a Force 9 with 10m waves certainly tests individuals and teaches people more about themselves. Not all personnel are at the "point of the spear" but contribute to the whole military effort, if this helps then it was worth it!
This exercise is open to all. In fact one leg is being handed completely to the medical services and will be crewed by a significant number of injured/disabled servicemen who are an example to us able bodied folks. Lets please see the benefits available rather than just being short sighted. Use AT or it will surely go!

L J R
1st Jan 2010, 17:22
....I Would love to do that..!

Elusive
2nd Jan 2010, 04:50
Hi guys,
Thanks for the support. The crew are now flying back having had a hard race.
The Navy and Army gave no margin for error and the whole race between us and the Navy was very close. In the end it came down to a couple of tactical decisions that had big impacts. In one night in not much wind we pulled out an 18nm lead that we nearly watched vanish in no wind 22nm from the finish.

The guys have all worked hard and represented the RAF superbly, after a year of effort and training, we're coming home with the Oggin Cup for the first Service Yacht.

Elusive
:ok:

Wander00
2nd Jan 2010, 05:58
Having crewed a bit for RAF racing in the late eighties and early nineties, in RORC and Inter Services series for a few years, I am delighted to hear of this substantial success. Well done the crew and all the support team.

RB Thruster
2nd Jan 2010, 11:02
Sail training is actually one of the best activities around for bringing out teamwork and leadership qualities. Doubters, try it before you knock it.

As for the lady skipper on the RAF boat, who I happen to have met, when she stood by us after a dismasting a couple of years ago.....:ok: TOP WORK.

Good to see the joint services getting the maximum value out of their training as usual.:D

Samuel
3rd Jan 2010, 02:08
Of course, with all this Willy-waving going on about who also-ran, :{ the Kiwi who won, thus beating the Aussies at their own race, could have died simply by falling overboard. His voice box was removed some twenty years ago, and he speaks, and breathes, through a machine in his throat: Neville Crichton would die if he took a dip.:D