PDA

View Full Version : Aviation College in Australia ( Help !)

kiat
26th Dec 2009, 12:43
Hi Guys,

Im new here in this forum,I think im posting in the wrong section. But i just need a few advice for Aviation school in Australia. I would like to ask several questions. I hope you guys are able to help ;)

-Which aviation school in Australia is Good? ( Im planing for AWA: Australia Wings Academy)
- Australia school are under JAA UK?
-Whats the benefits of JAA UK?
- I would like to fly for Cathay Pacific,So pilots with JAA license are more valuable?
-If I go back to Malaysia,I need to convert my Australia CPL license to a Malaysian license?
- What will happen after I get my CPL/IR? ( can i fly for an airline to build hours?)
- if I want to fly for an European airline, I have to convert again?
- When i convert my license, I only have 1 license or i have 2 license?

Please correct me If im wrong.Im a guy with full of curiosity.

Thank you in advance :}

redsnail
26th Dec 2009, 13:06
I'll answer as best as I can.

Good schools? Best post that question in the DG&P forum, this forum is largely UK-centric (or focussed)
There are some great schools in Oz, however, what you really want is a good instructor. Personally, I'd keep away from the "pilot sausage machines". However, I did my CPL at Liverpool Flying School (http://www.liverpoolflyingschool.com.au/) and they were excellent. I know some of their former students are in Cathay and Qantas. So for a small school, they do punch above their weight.

JAA licence? Only advantage is if you want to work in Europe. If you want to fly for Cathay etc, then the Australian licence is fine. You'll need to convert it any way but that's all taken care of once you join the company.

The CPL/IR (+ ATPL subjects) is the minimum you need to fly for an airline. Different airlines have different requirements with respect to experience and so on. You'll need to research that for the airlines you have in mind.

Bear in mind that unless you're incredibly lucky or on an airline's specific cadet scheme, chances are you'll have to fly smaller aircraft to get the experience required.

If you want to fly for a European airline, you'll need a EASA/JAA licence (plus the usual right to work and live requirements)

I have 2 licences. An Australian one and a UK JAA one. So, if you convert a licence, you still keep the original one.

Good luck

kiat
26th Dec 2009, 14:05
Ok thank you,

thank you for the info. i got a few more questions.

- Is it better for me to take up JAA in aussie training school?
- Does intrusment rating provide Night vision ratings?
- I saw a Job in Cathay, It said required 1000 flying hours in a jet aircraft. Is the propeller accepted?
-How can i find a Jet aircraft to fly over 1000 hours?
- What do you mean by Pilot sausage machine? :}

Thanks in advance :}

redsnail
26th Dec 2009, 16:43
Regarding the "JAA in an Australian school" question.
Ask yourself, "Am I going to fly for a European company?". If the answer is "yes", then a JAA license is required. (The caveat is, can I live and work in a European country?. If no, then you do not need a European license). If the answer is "no", then don't bother with the expense of a JAA license.

(For JAA, read EASA etc)

The instrument rating will let you fly at night, however, there are subtle differences between the two. When I was working in Australia, the Night VFR rating was very useful as it's recency requirements are more lenient than the Instrument rating. However, the Night VFR rating is NOT a substitute for an Instrument rating.

Regarding what Cathay want. I had a look at their Careers page.
For a Second officer (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/so_requirements) position, you need 1,000 hours fixed wing. Ideally on a turbine or multi engine piston. So a job flying a C208 or a PC 12 (both single turbines) would be a great start but you'll need more experience than a brand new CPL before you could get near one. Most Australians instruct or do scenic flights to get the initial experience before moving onto twin engine aircraft or turbine aircraft.

For a First Officer (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/fo_requirements) position, turboprop (+20 tonnes) command or other experience is required. (That is, bizjet command, other jet experience etc). So, that is the sort of experience you have after many years of flying professionally.

Pilot sausage factories. It's an English expression describing a type of a flying school that churns out pilots. It is perhaps an unfair description. You are "just a number" in many cases rather than a person so you are expected to fit into their requirements rather than yours. They aren't necessarily cheaper than the smaller schools.

So how do you get the experience? You get a job. It sounds easy but it will require hard work and a lot of initiative.
Eg, the second officer job requires 1,000 hours experience on twins.
To buy 1,000 hours on a twin or a turbine powered aircraft is very expensive. So, you get a job on twins.

However, it is rare in Australia to go straight onto a twin job. So you get a single engine job first. And so on.

Of course, this info is for the Cathay positions posted. However, you'll find that info valid for other jobs.

As you are in Malaysia, I would have a look here (http://www.budgetairlineguide.com/budget-airlines-in-malaysia) and investigate these airlines for other options for jobs.

Good luck.

redsnail
26th Dec 2009, 17:14
I see you have found the DG&P forum.

I'll give you some tips.

Use the search function. You can either use PPRuNe's one or better, Google.

When asking for advice, be really specific.

Eg, I am interested in a flying school in Australia that can teach a Malaysian student. My goal is to work for X but I realise I need some experience.
I am not restricted to any city or location.
I have done a search but I am after information about how a Malaysian can get the appropriate experience.
Can any one offer some advice or pointers?

Good luck.

kiat
27th Dec 2009, 04:38
Oh thank you so much redsnail.

I got a few questions again.

-What are mutli turbine and single piston? are they Propeller engines?
- is Flight instrustor suitable to gain hours that can lead me to Cathay?
- If no, What kind of advice you can give me

Based on flying schools,Which other flying school that is recommended and can help pursue my dreams?:}

I got another problem,Im from Malaysia. Im planing to take my flying license in Aussie. But Im afraid that, after i graduate, Can i get a job and stay in Aussie? or i just have to travel back to Malaysia which i dont want to.Is the salary enough to rent a room or something. Im a guy with full of curiosity. :sad:

Thanks in advance;)

redsnail
27th Dec 2009, 08:57
Are you sure you understood my previous post?

Piston engines have to use propellers. A piston engine by itself cannot generate propulsion. It needs "something" to do the work.

Turbine engine is short for gas turbine engine, that is, no pistons, so can either use a fan (aka "jet") or a propeller as the final means of propulsion.
I am sure Wikipedia has a lot of examples.

Flight instructing is a start. Flight instruction as your only experience will not get you into Cathay. Read the links provided again. (Exception, a grade 1 IFR instructor might but I doubt it)

No I cannot recommend any flying schools, I have not flown in Australia for many years and things change.

I suggest you read up on immigration and Australia. I doubt as a Malaysian student you'll be permitted to work in Australia. But do check with the relevant departments. Google "immigration" and "Australia" that should generate the right URL.

kiat
27th Dec 2009, 12:08
Oh okay. i get it now. Thanks alot.

But 1 more thing. other then Flight Instrucstors. can i do something else?

Thanks in advance:}

redsnail
27th Dec 2009, 12:15
Scenics (sight seeing), parachute dropping, charter etc. but you'll have to research what is available where you can live and work.

That I cannot answer.

kiat
27th Dec 2009, 20:34
Ok Thanks for the INFO , if anything i will post here again or leave you a private message thanks.

By the way, are you an airline pilot?

Oh ya,Philippines, Is it a good place to learn flying? i heard thier FAA is it. based Malaysia Aviation Forum

redsnail
27th Dec 2009, 23:32
I am not an airline pilot, I fly business jets. :ok:

Haven't got a clue about Philippines. Sorry.

kiat
28th Dec 2009, 07:53
Oh Okay,

Bsed on your pervious post,you did your CPL in liverpool flying school. they dint provide simulator,How did you get you IR or you dint get your IR

redsnail
28th Dec 2009, 11:01
kiat, I got my IR somewhere else. No, I am not going to say where. As I hold 2 ATPLs, I definitely have an IR.

kiat
28th Dec 2009, 12:36
Oh ok ok ..thanks anyway.i think thats about it . I think i will do some research regarding south africa training school.