25th Dec 2009, 22:35
Hi,

Sydney
QF87 2155-0530

Brisbane
QF97 2305-0605

Perth
QF67 2215-0605

The return HKG-BNE and HKG-PER flights remain the same which doesnt really make sense...

With this new schedule it will take at least 2 maybe 3 more A/c eg:

QF97 will dep BNE at 23:05 arr HKG 6:05am and then sit till 23:15 dep to BNE arr BNE at 9:50am then sit again all day till 23:05.

I cant see the sense in that? plus QF dont really have any spare A333s?

UNLESS they plan to change the HKG-BNE and HKG-PER schedules to morning departures from HKG and early evening arrivals into BNE and PER?

Any ideas

Going Boeing
25th Dec 2009, 22:42
Those flights will complex with the QF29 service MEL-HKG-LHR which departs HKG at approx 0800 local time. This is an increase in options to get to LHR with only one stop. Brisbane pax currently only have the BNE-SIN-LHR service one stop.

flitegirl
25th Dec 2009, 22:53
It would make sense to change the return times as well because they could be a connection for the inbound QF30 from LHR

Capt Fathom
25th Dec 2009, 23:26
The aircraft would do the 9am flight from Hongkong to Sydney.
Then return to Hongkong in time for the evening departure to either Brisbane or Perth!

They will not be sitting on the ground for any length of time!

Have a look at the timetables!

MyerFlyer
26th Dec 2009, 01:31
The aircraft would do the 9am flight from Hongkong to Sydney.
Then return to Hongkong in time for the evening departure to either Brisbane or Perth!

They will not be sitting on the ground for any length of time!

Have a look at the timetables!

NO! You have a look at the new timetables!

The new times for the A330 SYD flights have it arriving into HKG at 05:30am.

The only evening arrival into HKG is the QF127 SYD-HKG B744 flight.

Capt Fathom
26th Dec 2009, 04:37
No need to SHOUT Flyer, I was trying to help!

The flights from both Brisbane & Perth arrive in Hongkong around 5pm. They would do the late night return departures back to Brisbane & Perth.

The early morning arrivals from Melbourne & Sydney depart Hongkong around 9am to return to Melbourne & Sydney!

I'm sure it's all skillfully designed to minimise the ground time! :bored:

tourismman
26th Dec 2009, 05:02
I believe the MEL-HKG-LHR QF 29 is not performing that well and needs better feed from the other Australian cities.

steep tern
26th Dec 2009, 06:24
Is the 330 still planned to fly to New York?

Going Boeing
26th Dec 2009, 06:42
Is the 330 still planned to fly to New York?

I believe that the planned change of type has been delayed until mid 2010 and may not go ahead due to numerous problems in operating the A330 on that route.

burty
26th Dec 2009, 07:50
I believe that the planned change of type has been delayed until mid 2010 and may not go ahead due to numerous problems in operating the A330 on that route.
Going Boeing

Are these difficulties you speak of related to the proposed AKL-LAX sector or the LAX-JFK leg?

Capt Kremin
26th Dec 2009, 11:00
The A330 is still going to JFK.. circa July. The only people saying it won't are the -400 drivers who don't wish to lose a plum port.

MyerFlyer
27th Dec 2009, 00:26
No need to SHOUT Flyer, I was trying to help!

The flights from both Brisbane & Perth arrive in Hongkong around 5pm. They would do the late night return departures back to Brisbane & Perth.

You havent looked at the new schedules from MAR 29 onwards!

The BNE and PER flights arrive into HKG at 6:05am and then it looks like they sit all day till 23:00ish Dep.

RedTBar
27th Dec 2009, 01:53
NO! You have a look at the new timetables!
Someone is a little precious!
arr BNE at 9:50am then sit again all day till 23:05.
What makes you think the aircraft sit around all day doing nothing?

dragon man
27th Dec 2009, 04:52
Yes , the 330 is supposed to opereate to JFK next year starting sbout July. However according to the manager in AKL its only 3 days a week, the rest will be the 400. My own opinion is that anything beyond a month in advance is not to be relied upon in Qantas.

Kiwiconehead
27th Dec 2009, 06:35
My own opinion is that anything beyond a month in advance is not to be relied upon in Qantas.

Well given their idea of advance planning is what they did last week, I'd have to agree with you.

Capt Kremin
27th Dec 2009, 07:47
Dragon man, its five days a week.

RedTBar
27th Dec 2009, 09:25
Not that I'm saying anyone is not correct with the new timetable but how many times have we seen contradictory info from marketing,tech crew ops,cabin crew admin,ground staff etc.
I've always found the one certain way to tell what is going on is when the aircraft are actually operating and even then what is decided on at 9am can be completely different to decisions taken after lunch time.
Well given their idea of advance planning is what they did last week, I'd have to agree with you.
Now that is spot on.

drop bear ten
28th Dec 2009, 04:23
I am sure that the Qantas GROUP will be flying A330's to the US in 2010...

woody744
28th Dec 2009, 10:36
Not all aircraft will be sitting around as the QF 30 is sometimes a 330, thus the inbound aircraft from Perth or Brisbane will be turned around and sent back to oz.

Capt Kremin
28th Dec 2009, 20:48
Drop bear, you have alluded a couple of times your opinion that J* will be going to the US next year. Alan Joyce has said a couple of times now that the US is not a Jetstar destination. At the moment anyway.

Plans are well under way for the A330 AKL-LAX-JFK. Plenty of rumours about localised lines in LAX as well.

RedTBar
28th Dec 2009, 21:25
Plenty of rumours about localised lines in LAX as well.
Yeah,I've heard about the month (or longer) basing in LA for the drivers too!
Alan Joyce has said a couple of times now that the US is not a Jetstar destination. At the moment anyway.
Like I said what they think of today is just as likely to be different when they wake up tomorro.

lowerlobe
29th Dec 2009, 21:00
Yeah,I've heard about the month (or longer) basing in LA for the drivers too!
Why would the company slip A 330 tech crew in LA for a month just so they can do the JFK flights?

Capt Kremin
29th Dec 2009, 21:31
At a guess I'd say its so they can get a more efficient slipping pattern. The current -744 slip pattern on a LAX/JFK/LAX is 2/2/2. You wouldn't need that with crews already in the time zone. Makes you wonder why they didn't think of it for the 744.

lowerlobe
29th Dec 2009, 21:40
I would have to see the numbers but to have an entire crew or more in LAX for a month or more does not seem very efficient or cost effective to me...

It is also explains why they are probably putting through more A 330 courses in the new year.
The current -744 slip pattern on a LAX/JFK/LAX is 2/2/2.
The alternative could have been to put a second officer(s) on the flights and reduce the slips or even do the shuttle like the cabin crew .....

Comoman
29th Dec 2009, 23:12
I've also noticed the Perth-Hong Kong (and return) flights keep on getting cancelled. The one today is (30th) for example. I wonder if it's related?

Ken Borough
30th Dec 2009, 08:40
I would have to see the numbers but to have an entire crew or more in LAX for a month or more does not seem very efficient or cost effective to me...

Stay in the Crew Rest Old Chap! I would think the Planners would know more about what's right in terms of resource efficiency and cost than a retired biscuit chucker.:mad::ugh::ugh:

RedTBar
31st Dec 2009, 21:02
I would think the Planners would know more about what's right in terms of resource efficiency and cost than a retired biscuit chucker.
Now Now Mr Borough,that's not very nice to Lobey and your post is really a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Talking of retirement,how was your christmas in the retirement home for QF pencil pushers ?

I agree with Lobey and would like to see the numbers on how it saves money to have the drivers based in LA for a month.

Have no fear because old Ken knows what he is talking about and all of us know the office has never been known to make a mistake.:yuk::yuk::mad:

Getting back to the thread and does anyone know the rest of the story about the HKG schedule changes?

Capt Kremin
31st Dec 2009, 22:38
It may be a scheduling thing. If, as someone has stated on this thread, there are only three A330 flights a week from AKL, but a daily service from LAX to JFK; then that is why it may be more efficient to have crews based there.

lowerlobe
1st Jan 2010, 12:54
I would think the Planners would know more about what's right in terms of resource efficiency and cost than a retired biscuit chucker.:mad::ugh::ugh:
I see those anger management classes have not worked Kenny.....:D

Anyway Kenny....I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year in whatever retirement facility you are in....:oh:

Now back to business....
there are only three A330 flights a week from AKL, but a daily service from LAX to JFK
Capt Kremin........

I thought the service from AKL to LAX was going to be daily but if you're right and it is only several times a week that would mean basically leaving a 330 in the US for the JFK shuttles and would explain why you would need crew based in LAX.A nice little basing if you can get it....I'm sure some wives and kids would love it.

Another question I have is why replace the 747 with a 330 on the JFK shuttles though.The last few times I have been on the LAX/JFK flight it's been as full as a public school....and I was under the impression that they carried a fair bit of freight between the two coasts.

Is there a shortage of 400's or have the pax loads dropped off lately?

dragon man
1st Jan 2010, 18:41
After all this speculation i wonder what will happen if as the media report that JAL (a one world partner) loses its overseas routes and becomes purely a domestic carrier. Would the QF21/22 revert to a 400 straight away? Would the 767/A330 take over BNE/ NRT (currently code shared) or would they in a stroke of brilliance increase Jet*s services. That would then probably change the timetable for the 330 on JFK. As a sideline the 400 manager said last week that management are looking at 2 400s as well as 2 767s not going to Victorville.:)

Wingspar
1st Jan 2010, 20:50
I would think the Planners would know more about what's right in terms of resource efficiency

Hang on, we are talking about Qantas now aren't we?

RedTBar
1st Jan 2010, 21:18
That would then probably change the timetable for the 330 on JFK.
That would depend on which destination makes the most bucks.
I would think the Planners would know more about what's right in terms of resource efficiency
Hang on, we are talking about Qantas now aren't we?
Exactly Wingspar and most of us know that but it was just Ken Borough getting a little sensitive !!!!!

2nd Jan 2010, 22:39
They should probably do some Chicago flights from LA as well on the days it doesn't go th JFK.

RedTBar
3rd Jan 2010, 08:01
They should probably do some Chicago flights from LA
Great idea but that would mean expanding the QF network and that would go against the seemingly and cunning grand strategy of group expansion only by Jetstar.
I think there would be more chance of us doing shuttles to Dublin :E

alangirvan
4th Jan 2010, 00:32
I realise the Schedule Planners know lots about timing flights, but somethings about HK services seem a bit strange to me.

HKG-LHR is a sector that Qantas wanted for a long time. Australia gave quite a lot to Hong Kong to get it - extra access to Australian ports for Hong Kong carriers - mainly Cathay, but Dragonair nearly came here.

Part of the reason for flying HKG-LHR is to carry traffic between those two ports, rather than just to be a refuelling stop between Australia and UK.

So, why operate the service at such unattractive times? Looking at Qantas timetables for April 2010 show a departure time of 0730 on HKG-LHR. If some one lives in HK city, this seems like a bad time to be taking a long ride out to the airport in that city. The Cathay Pacific flights to London leave quite a bit later in the morning.

Similarly, if people want to fly from Australian cities to HKG, surely the daylight hours flights of Cathay will be more attractive times to fly.

Are the Qantas (and Air New Zealand) flights timed because it is so hard to find an early morning arrival slot into Heathrow?

BD1959
4th Jan 2010, 01:04
alangirvan: So, why operate the service at such unattractive times? Looking at Qantas timetables for April 2010 show a departure time of 0730 on HKG-LHR. If some one lives in HK city, this seems like a bad time to be taking a long ride out to the airport in that city. The Cathay Pacific flights to London leave quite a bit later in the morning.

If the HKG-LHR legs of QF29 were to operate, say, two hours later out of HKG I guess one of two things would need to happen:

1) QF29 would have to depart MEL at 00:50 rather than 22:50 - which then pushes it behind the CX flight making it less attractive

2) QF29 sits at HKG for an extra 2 hours in transit - making it unattractive to through pax

Of course, QF could rotate the 747 LHR-HKG-LHR and use the Slowbus MEL-HKG-MEL per CX which would reduce transit time at HKG, too.

BD

Nunc
4th Jan 2010, 08:19
BNE-HKG A330 service will soon be departing late at night ex BNE to complex with QF29 as opposed to the late morning early arvo departure it has been doing for ages.

Transition Layer
4th Jan 2010, 09:56
The QF29 used to run SYD-HKG-LHR from memory, but I'm pretty sure the reason it was switched to MEL was as replacement capacity for the British Airways service that pulled out of MEL.

For that reason I don't think it is really aimed at passengers originating in HKG, so any more feeders it could get from other Australian ports makes sense.

Bit of a bugger though, as HKG-LHR was usually the easiest way to get to LHR on Staff Travel!!! :}

ROH111
5th Jan 2010, 03:15
I hear July 5th is the start date for the A330 to start the LA-NY shuttles.

Keg
5th Jan 2010, 04:20
ROH111 has either read the Flight Ops mag or spoken to someone who has! :ok: A330 LAX-JFK five times a week.

That said, we were supposed to be going LAX-ORD a bunch of years ago too and that never eventuated.