PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my 61.75 FAA Private current?

Contacttower
25th Dec 2009, 10:08
Slightly embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this one...

I'm thinking of going flying in the US this coming summer and unlike previous occasions I won't be adding any ratings while there and my JAA licence will not have changed at all since my piggy back FAA Private was last issued about a year ago.

My question is other than all the FAA/JAA currency requirements like BFRs, instrument currency etc do I need anything else? For example do I need a new letter of licence validation from the CAA?

Merry Christmas everyone.:)

derekf
25th Dec 2009, 10:18
Just follow the FAA requirements (FAA, IAP currency etc) and you're fine (I'm assuming yoi've got English Language on the license as it's a year old).
The only time you need another letter of verification is if you are adding another rating (or similar) that requires the FAA to re-issue the license (which would unfortunately include if you lose it.

If you're going to the US and want to rent you'll need to do a checkout - if so then ask them to combine with a BFR. Much of the flying will be the same, and the ground part of it can include a review of airspace etc and local flying / regulations which will help out with when you rent.

Merry Christmas!

englishal
25th Dec 2009, 10:19
Nope, you are good to go. Mind you if you need a club checkout I'd just do a BFR because that will revaildate the FAA for a further 2 years...

Cheers

Contacttower
25th Dec 2009, 10:36
Thanks for the replies, that's cleared that up...:ok:

tmmorris
25th Dec 2009, 11:00
Strongly recommend as noted above that you do a BFR and ask for the ground portion to be on airspace categories/rules, as it confuses me a lot (basically they call things by ICAO names but they have different rules) and I tend to forget it between trips to the US.

Tim

chrisbl
25th Dec 2009, 17:05
PM me if you would like to prepare before you go, I can do the ground school necessary for you to ace the BFR and sign your logbook.

djpil
25th Dec 2009, 20:03
Note that paper certificates expire (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/expiring_paper_certificates/)in March 2010. To get one of the new certificates you'll need another letter of verification and an interview at a FSDO.

sapperkenno
25th Dec 2009, 20:50
As long as you have a medical, SEP Rating and valid PPL, then your 61.75 certificate is valid.
If your UK licence can be used, then so can your FAA certificate (if you also meet the requirements for BFR etc) as it is "based on" the UK one.

I think you know all that, but I'm just reminding you. I've seen people not having an in date SEP Rating on their UK licence, but thinking they can use their FAA cert as everything else is in order.

So my understanding is;
1, UK PPL in good working order
2, BFR completed in the last 24 months
3, Meeting the FAA recency of experience requirements to carry passengers etc, or use instrument privileges

Contacttower
27th Dec 2009, 05:00
Thanks for the replies, as it happens depending on how late in the year I may or may not need a BFR. I know the school and the surrounding area I'll be flying out of quite well and I know they won't let me go wrong in terms of being prepared.

So nice not to have to worry about TSA or Visa this time!